Why become a member? ×

J dilemma

buff

So ive had over the years two MIJ/CIJ, one American and one Mexican classic, plus a few VM jazzes. My latest is one of the late 90's budget American traditional series, pre highway 1 basses. The sustain on it is great, but im finding over all its very bright sounding and is a complete contrast to how the others ive owned have sounded. Ive dropped in some 84's and done a gig with them in. But im finding them harsh and im looking for something warmer woody sounding with good mid's. Don't really want to move the bass on again as the weight and feel of it is great. Ive used emg pick ups in the past, but all the other basses weren't so bright sounding acoustically Any recommendations ?

[quote name='buff' timestamp='1430169650' post='2758677']
Would rather stick with the rotosounds that are fitted.
[/quote]

If you want to change the sound then you have to change something in order to make the change in sound happen.

So we don't want to change the bass. We know the pups and strings have been known to give you your sound, so you don't want to change those. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but pretty much just leaves the amp cab and EQ settings.

[quote name='buff' timestamp='1430171097' post='2758698']
No what I'm wondering is as anyone else had a very bright sounding jazz, and fitted pick ups that changed the tone. I thought by fitting 84's it would darken it enough. It has but in a harsher way.
[/quote]

Surely experimenting with strings is a fair bit cheaper than trying various pickups? As Grangur said amp, cab and EQ are all thats left after that.

Maybe i should go back to EMG's, probably not helping that my main bass is a 4003 and this jazz hasn't the warmth the Ric has. In the past the jazzes ive had have not been so bright sounding, and whilst not sounding like a Ric haven't been a million miles away. Ive tried bringing up the mid's and dropping the treble at a gig last week, but a friend who was the sound man commented on it being very toppy and boomy at the same time. Ive read some good thing's about dimarzio type J's . Just never had a problem with a bass so bright before other than an early SB2.

[quote name='buff' timestamp='1430212014' post='2758878']
Maybe i should go back to EMG's, probably not helping that my main bass is a 4003 and this jazz hasn't the warmth the Ric has. In the past the jazzes ive had have not been so bright sounding, and whilst not sounding like a Ric haven't been a million miles away. Ive tried bringing up the mid's and dropping the treble at a gig last week, but a friend who was the sound man commented on it being very toppy and boomy at the same time. Ive read some good thing's about dimarzio type J's . Just never had a problem with a bass so bright before other than an early SB2.
[/quote]

mmmm....

DiMarzio Model J's: £100
Fender Flatwounds: £20

....worth a punt, surely?

We had a used USA Jazz, mid-2000s, in the shop a little while back. The tone with steel Rotos as fitted was just painfully bright for my taste, both acoustically and hence electrically. With so much acoustic brightness, I'd say pickups wouldn't mellow it down.
I'd have put halfrounds on for myself.

Edited by hubrad

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1430215790' post='2758956']
I have [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301555127285?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]these[/url] in a couple of my basses.
[/quote]

Cool! And what are the advantages?

I`d look at capacitor as well - and pots, it may well be that the ones in there are 500s, so will be brighter. I`d probably get a complete wiring loom from Ki0gon re this - good electrics can help a fair bit. Plus, as said, if the bass is very bright acoustically then maybe a reduction on the cap value - or on the pots, down to a 100 rather than the regular 250. But I`d start with the regular 250 loom, if it`s still too bright get a 100 loom and then sell the 250 loom on here, you won`t be short of takers.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1430215946' post='2758960']
Cool! And what are the advantages?
[/quote]

For me I find it's more usable than the the standard ones fitted to most Jazz basses, it's not going to change the tone of your bass when it's dialled out but add a little, say 30% and it takes away some of the top end without it going muddy. I have no understanding of the science so I can't explain why it's a bit better than a ceramic Cap.

I did not get on with the Wizards but have got Seymour duncans in one bass OK it is a PJ with an SPB-2 hot and an SJB-2 but they are lush but in my Jzz basses I have Entwistle NEOS they are a good price and sound great but the only downside is they are a LOT bigger than other pups so the file needs to come out to sort it

Drop [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/7835-kiogon/"]KiOgon[/url] a PM explaining your predicament. He will give you advice and suggest what kind of wiring loom will help. His prices are very reasonable too B)

I'm willing to bet it's heavily string-related. When I bought my 2012 US Standard, it had very obviously been in the shop for a while, the strings were dead, etc, so they knocked down the price and threw in some Rotos. Horrible, scratchy, tinny sounding things. Replaced with DR Sunbeams and EMGs, and now I think it's the best Jazz I've ever owned.

I do think US Jazzes sound brighter than they used to though.