Why become a member? ×

What's In A Nut?

lowregisterhead

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1430305959' post='2760006']
So to clarify your position - the wood makes a difference, but the pickups are not very efficient at allowing that difference through to the amp.

I fully agree that a pickup change can be one of the most dramatic changes in tone. Round strings to flats is another.

But that doesn't mean wood differences aren't there, it's just that the differences are of a smaller magnitude. Those differences are even less noticeable (even pickups and strings) if an amp has such a powerful overbearing voice, like an SVT at full tilt.

If anything that is a failure of the pickup system - failing to fully realise the tonal quality of a particular wood choice.
[/quote]

No, not at all.

An acoustic instrument is designed from the ground up to amplify itself, in an electric instrument the wood is just a pretty holder for the pickups.

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1430385845' post='2760827']

No, not at all.

An acoustic instrument is designed from the ground up to amplify itself, in an electric instrument the wood is just a pretty holder for the pickups.
[/quote]

So a Squier can give identical output to a Fodera or Alembic etc. All you need is the same strings, pickup and the same setup?

Wow. I was in a chat with Anthony Wellington the other day. He was saying how he pays 10,000$ for a bass. Isn't he a mug? We're due to chat again in May. It'll be interesting to hear his views on this.

When you buy an expensive bass you are mostly paying for playability and an exceptional standard of fit and finish.

IME what this does is it inspires you to play better. It certainly works for a very ordinary bassist like me. When I got my fist really good bass (an Overwater Original) my playing and consequently the sounds that I was making improved massively since for the first time the only obstacle to being able to do what I wanted musically was my lack of ability and not any restrictions the the instrument I played was putting on me.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1430386865' post='2760836']
When you buy an expensive bass you are mostly paying for playability and an exceptional standard of fit and finish.

IME what this does is it inspires you to play better. It certainly works for a very ordinary bassist like me. When I got my fist really good bass (an Overwater Original) my playing and consequently the sounds that I was making improved massively since for the first time the only obstacle to being able to do what I wanted musically was my lack of ability and not any restrictions the the instrument I played was putting on me.
[/quote]

That I can buy into. I too found that.

Strange how you overlooked my comment earlier about the look of an instrument being important then...

Fit and finish, neck shape, quality of hardware and so on is all vital to an instrument. The woods used are just for show. That is my honest belief and having worked for a range of instrument manufacturers, despite it not being the company accepted viewpoint nor the view of the community at large I have never found any evidence that anything other than pups and pots changes the tone.

Like I said before, I would happily pay a lot for a heavily flamed Warwick Streamer, but make no mistake, I pay that money firstly for the build quality, secondly for the looks. If I just wanted the tone I would buy the MEC J set, the 3 band active EQ and put them into a Squier.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1430392809' post='2760918']
Strange how you overlooked my comment earlier about the look of an instrument being important then...

Fit and finish, neck shape, quality of hardware and so on is all vital to an instrument. The woods used are just for show. That is my honest belief and having worked for a range of instrument manufacturers, despite it not being the company accepted viewpoint nor the view of the community at large I have never found any evidence that anything other than pups and pots changes the tone.

Like I said before, I would happily pay a lot for a heavily flamed Warwick Streamer, but make no mistake, I pay that money firstly for the build quality, secondly for the looks. If I just wanted the tone I would buy the MEC J set, the 3 band active EQ and put them into a Squier.
[/quote]
If you're referring to me, when you said it I overlooked the motivational issue. I'm human. (As we all are, of course)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1430400260' post='2761033']
If you're referring to me, when you said it I overlooked the motivational issue. I'm human. (As we all are, of course)
[/quote]

Just found it odd mate! You seemed to miss me saying it when you posted then immediately posted agreeing with BRX who said similar, no offence taken or intended!

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1430473132' post='2761704']
One further consideration is whether you use a Hipshot Xtender for drop tunings. I have found that standard Fender plastic nuts reliably change to the correct pitch, brass nuts don't.
[/quote]

A good scribble in the nut slots with a soft graphite pencil should lube that nicely for you.
Fnarr.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1430228726' post='2759193']
I've got an old Wilson guitar with the 'zero fret' and I've always thought "what a good idea" no more fannying around cutting the nut to exactley the right depth, I've often wondered why it's not more widely used.
[/quote]

Possibly so they can sell you the most exotic nut material, to match that exotic 'tonewood'.

You could always drop the tuning, capo on the first fret and you have a 32" scale zero fret.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1430486390' post='2761931']
Possibly so they can sell you the most exotic nut material, to match that exotic 'tonewood'.

You could always drop the tuning, capo on the first fret and you have a 32" scale zero fret.
[/quote]it's something I've considered on my acoustic guitar where I never play anything above the 5th fret, mainly because of intonation problems

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1430392809' post='2760918']Like I said before, I would happily pay a lot for a heavily flamed Warwick Streamer, but make no mistake, I pay that money firstly for the build quality, secondly for the looks. If I just wanted the tone I would buy the MEC J set, the 3 band active EQ and put them into a Squier.[/quote]

Sorry, but that's just insane. A Squier with an MEC J set and 3 band EQ will not sound like a Streamer. It will still sound like a Squier (or Jazz bass if you will).

I've had Warwicks that I've experimented with different pickups and preamps. MEC, EMG, and Bart. Guess what? No matter what PU/preamp combination was in them, they still sounded like the same bass- a Warwick! There were subtle EQ/feel/output differences, but the "voice" the bass stayed the same. My Thumb always sounded like a Thumb. The Streamer like a Streamer. The Corvette like a Corvette.

I've also had the exact same pair of pickups (Bartolini) in a Jazz bass and a Corvette. By your logic they should sound the same, correct? No, when they were in my Jazz, it still sounded like a typical Fender Jazz. In the Corvette...still sounded like a Corvette (both had passive electronics).

People put way too much stock into how much the pickups influence the overall tone of a guitar/bass. One of the major reasons why people spend 10k on a Fodera is that there's little else out there that gives you that particular tone. If you want that exact tone you either buy a Fodera or get a custom built copy of a Fodera.