Why become a member? ×

Where to start with Bass Speakers?

Fisheth

Ok so, I'm getting a custom cab made from these guys: [url="http://www.roadkillcabs.co.uk/"]http://www.roadkillcabs.co.uk/[/url]

I've used them before and they're stuff is TOP NOTCH. Now I'm getting something unloaded, which means I can put my own speakers in it, where do I start with speakers?

I'm pretty good with guitar speakers in terms of describing what sort of tone I'm after, I'm assuming this is something bassists do as-well?

Also, any general rules to go with so something doesn't blow mid-gig? (Going to be running a bass terror with it)

It's a 2X10, mainly for portability sake.

Many thanks!

Fisheth.

Edit: Just realized I've posted this in the wrong section, could a mod move it for me? Thank you!

Edited by Fisheth

From what I understand from various other threads it's a lot more complicated than just sticking some speakers in a cab... I think the cab needs to be modelled to see how different drivers would respond, otherwise you could end up with a cab emphasising odd frequencies that would sound crap...

Then again you could ignore all conventional wisdom and build yourself an 8x15 with all the speakers pointing at each other and hope for the best...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1430232631' post='2759257']
From what I understand from various other threads it's a lot more complicated than just sticking some speakers in a cab... I think the cab needs to be modelled to see how different drivers would respond, otherwise you could end up with a cab emphasising odd frequencies that would sound crap...

Then again you could ignore all conventional wisdom and build yourself an 8x15 with all the speakers pointing at each other and hope for the best...
[/quote]

I don't know I agree with this theory, the good old Celestion Vintage 30 is a common swap into many different guitar cabs and, as far as I am aware, usually gives a big improvement, probably purely because it is a higher quality speaker than the normal, manufacturer price driven, unit....

See if the cab builders recommend anything specific for the cab, if not visit the likes of Celestion and see if anything takes your fancy, they do have sound clips available for a lot of the speakers but that has always confused me as if I listen to the clip on the laptop it will sound crap...if I listen through the hifi it will sound much better! so surely the clip quality is driven by the speakers you listen to them through!

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1430243609' post='2759460']

I don't know I agree with this theory, the good old Celestion Vintage 30 is a common swap into many different guitar cabs and, as far as I am aware, usually gives a big improvement, probably purely because it is a higher quality speaker than the normal, manufacturer price driven, unit....

See if the cab builders recommend anything specific for the cab, if not visit the likes of Celestion and see if anything takes your fancy, they do have sound clips available for a lot of the speakers but that has always confused me as if I listen to the clip on the laptop it will sound crap...if I listen through the hifi it will sound much better! so surely the clip quality is driven by the speakers you listen to them through!
[/quote]

Er, bass speaker cabs are a completely different kettle of fish from guitar speaker cabs. It's all in the low frequency handling :)