Why become a member? ×

Blown speaker

beerdragon

This is new territory for me so aplogies if my questions are a bit inane. is replacing a a blown 10 inch speaker in a combo a straitforward affair or is it best left to someone who knows what they are doing?
in this case its a trace 4x10, do you need an exact speaker as a replacement or would any 10inch do.
i suppose i could google but what's the average cost a speaker. thanks.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='27885' date='Jul 6 2007, 08:02 AM']in this case its a trace 4x10, do you need an exact speaker as a replacement or would any 10inch do.
i suppose i could google but what's the average cost a speaker. thanks.[/quote]
Replacing a driver is no more difficult than replacing a spark plug. But just as with a sparkplug matching the driver is critical. If any 10 incher would do they'd only make one.

[quote name='Subthumper' post='27937' date='Jul 6 2007, 02:18 PM']Chances are if one drivers gone the others might not be far behind considering they've all had the same use or abuse.Prepare to have to change or recone all of them.[/quote]

You could be right, that had'nt crossed my mind, it's about twelve years old so there is a possability.

If it's a Trace Elliot cab, they might be funny 32 ohm ones that TE liked to use. In which case, you'll need to buy 4 new Celestions or similar and have the cab re-wired so the amp's seeing 4 ohms. It sounds like a big deal but I was quoted £150 all up for it by www.stevesamps.co.uk In the end, my "blown speakers" turned out to be a blown amp head which only cost £70 to fix. Get it checked out by a good tech!

Oh.. and average cost of a speaker is about £30.

Edited by stingrayfan