Why become a member? ×

Amps - a minefield

Funky Dunky

[quote name='Pembo' timestamp='1430328881' post='2760407']
Markbass on it's own will probably be too clean for that warm, vintage, woody tone. However, Markbass with a sansamp, or even behringer VT pedal, that will nail it.
[/quote]

Or perhaps a Markbass TUBE 500 or 800, OR Markbass TTE500 also with tubes/valves.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1430306826' post='2760029']
Beware of buying more than you need!
[/quote]

Naaaah. I have three heads with a fourth on order and four cabs. A rig for every occasion, and several occasions I don't require too ;)

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1430324611' post='2760338']
Been swotting up on your suggestions, chaps, and the Fender Rumble 500 has the lead (badump-tsh!) at the minute in terms of price and features. I can't find anywhere around with one in stock, unfortunately, they all seem to stock the smaller Rumbles but not the big daddy. Andertons have them for £480 - seems like a bargain for what this amp has to offer. Is it really only 36lbs?

Oh, and I've seen people drawing comparisons between the Fender Rumble and Genz Benz. Do they share circuitry or components?
[/quote]

I got mine from GAK and they price-matched the German Muzic Productiv (probably not even close to correct spelling) site, a fair few quid cheaper than the price you mentioned.

Apparently the V3 Rumbles have nothing at all in common with GB amps

If you're looking at combos, try out a MarkBass one. I had the 2x10 combo for many years & only sold it as I'd stopped playing live.
It's pretty much a get out what you put in, but with the filters, the VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator) could get a very wooly sound.

As for flexibility, you can easily remove the head & take it in a gig bag. Just mind & make a lid for it.

I'd get to Glasgow, Edinburgh or Dundee & try out as much kit as you can. Don't be shy of saying "I want to try as many rigs as I can", because that Is what you want to do. :)

Edited Jew two iPad knot no wing how too right ploperly

Edited by xgsjx

In real terms, gear is very cheap these days. Just think how much a fairly modest family holiday (or car) would cost, and then look at how much bass gear you could get for that price! :gas:

Most of it is pretty decent too. It's not like it was back in the eighties (or even nineties) when you could shell out a lot of cash on something that just wasn't fit for purpose... :blink:

These two points make our lives both easier and harder at the same time. In many ways you just can't go far wrong, but in other ways there is so much choice that making a decision can become a nightmare! :unsure:

There is a lot to be said for trawling through the for sale section on here and just looking for the best prices on amps and cabs. Buy them. Try them. If you like them - sorted! If not, as someone has already said, you can usually move them on for a similar price to what you paid. It can be a great way of getting to try gear that may not otherwise be available to you, for reasons of geography or budget.

£700 is a decent budget if you look at second-hand gear. For example, there is a great Markbass Jeff Berlin combo available at the moment [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/256297-markbass-jeff-berlin-price-drop/page__p__2759553__hl__markbass__fromsearch__1#entry2759553"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2759553[/url] Or if you go down the separate amp and cab route, your budget would just about stretch to... http://basschat.co.uk/topic/260846-little-mark-tube-800-scratched-hence-only-l350/ and http://basschat.co.uk/topic/260714-barefaced-g1-compact-l400-posted-midget-sold/ . Now that's one heck of a rig! :gas:

Remember that a powerful amp will turn down low, but a weedy amp will not go loud with any clarity (if at all).

Visiting music shops and trying stuff can be productive, but can also be a chore depending on the shops and how much time you have.

Predictably, most people on here will recommend what they own themselves - which may not be particularly helpful to you, as their ideal tone and portability solutions may be very different to yours. For example, how old are you? Are you physically fit and strong? If so, there are real bargains to be had in the "heavyweight" line. If you want lightweight, the expense (and choice) becomes more limited.

Enjoy your search! :D

Edited by Conan

It would be worth trying out an EA iAmp 500 or 800 if you can find one (although that's going to be second-hand) - I think they've got the sort of tone you're looking for.

I'd also say go with separates if you can, it means you can change either the amp or the cab.

Choice of cabs may be limited by physical requirements. If you'll be carrying it around a lot or haven't got much space to store it/them, you'd be looking for something compact and perhaps lightweight - 2x10, one or two 1x12s, perhaps 2x12. If you are a body builder who enjoys workouts but doesn't care too much what you sound like, go for a Trace-Elliot 4x10 combo.

Tweeters - give you a bit more top-end response. From the sound you describe, I'd say you don't need one, but many tweeter-equipped cabs have controls to alter the tweeter's volume or to switch it off entirely which gives you a bit more flexibility than simply eschewing one.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1430330071' post='2760424']
Or perhaps a Markbass TUBE 500 or 800, OR Markbass TTE500 also with tubes/valves.
[/quote]
That could be a good shout. I've only tried the Little Mark series and currently got a SA450, so don't know how the Tube/TTE sound. I'm assuming they sound very good though, with a good solid EQ range.
Nice little plug too... ;)

Edited by Pembo

Actually, reading this lot it becomes obvious that what you need is all of it. A rig for each gig. That in turn would justify and validate having a bass for each gig. Your enormous collection of bass gear will then require that you buy a mansion to store it all in.

Works for me.
B)

Go to a good music store.
Bring your bass.
Test the amps they have in your price range.
Bring home the one you think sounds best.

I have a few amps, in various price ranges. Genz Benz Shuttle 6 and a few cabs to vary between, a Yorkville Sound Bloc80,a Roland Cube 30, a Phil Jones double 4....

I still sound like me on all amps, for the most part.

So go in there and let your ears do the job.

Sorry if I didn't shed light on your struggle to understand the ohms and the valves and tubes and what not. :-) after 35 years of playing I have limited knowledge of these things myself. I bought amps more out of necessity than lust. I needed an amp with more power or a smaller one to fit in my girlfriend's tiny apartment. Etc.

Just bring your wishlist, your bass and your ears to the test room. That's what counts.

For me one of the best things that has come out of being a member of BC is learning about all the different gear available out there. I've read alot of posts that have prompted me to go out and try gear I wouldn't otherwise have even heard of.

It really is a minefield to start with but once you've read everything out there, amps, cabs and basses essentially fall into a few different types with subtle differences within those catagories.

IMO it's not really a minefield, we're spoilt for choice these days, and in real terms a lot of gear is cheaper than ever.

My main advice is to try before you buy, don't just trust online reviews (unless you're going for something cheap and/or used), and don't buy waay more than you need if you're only playing at home - even a small ~200w combo will be adequate for jam nights and small gigs provided there's a DI out.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1430461471' post='2761561']
Actually, reading this lot it becomes obvious that what you need is all of it. A rig for each gig. That in turn would justify and validate having a bass for each gig. Your enormous collection of bass gear will then require that you buy a mansion to store it all in.

Works for me.
B)
[/quote]

I like this guy.

[quote name='MrWalker' timestamp='1430462653' post='2761567']
Go to a good music store.
Bring your bass.
Test the amps they have in your price range.
Bring home the one you think sounds best.

I have a few amps, in various price ranges. Genz Benz Shuttle 6 and a few cabs to vary between, a Yorkville Sound Bloc80,a Roland Cube 30, a Phil Jones double 4....

I still sound like me on all amps, for the most part.

So go in there and let your ears do the job.

Sorry if I didn't shed light on your struggle to understand the ohms and the valves and tubes and what not. :-) after 35 years of playing I have limited knowledge of these things myself. I bought amps more out of necessity than lust. I needed an amp with more power or a smaller one to fit in my girlfriend's tiny apartment. Etc.

Just bring your wishlist, your bass and your ears to the test room. That's what counts.
[/quote]

My kind of logic. That's exactly what I should do. Simple. Instead of going in thinking I should have this make or that, try everything and let the ears judge.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1430473185' post='2761705']
My kind of logic. That's exactly what I should do. Simple. Instead of going in thinking I should have this make or that, try everything and let the ears judge.[/quote] Bear in mind, though, that what sounds good in a shop may not sound do good in a loud band rehearsal/gig context. Horses for courses and all that...

You certainly need to make your own mind up

I'm a guitarist, retraining on bass. I wanted a practice amp, with a really good sound

I ended up with a Fender Rumble 200 v3 and am very happy with it. The key to this amp is the Vintage button. The sound to my ears has a dense core to it - the other amps I tried were loud but somehow lacking in depth. Also, I like larger speakers - the 200 is a 1x15 with a tweeter

It's very light and looks really good

[quote name='simonlittle' timestamp='1430312278' post='2760130']
I'd highly recommend an Ampeg PF500 and matching 1x15" cab. Maybe the PF350 head if you want something less powerful. Both have headphone jacks for practice and you can mount the head to the cab for flip-top storage. The 15" cab sounds lovely and warm with plenty of vintage ooomph. It has a tweeter too which you can turn up or down on the cab itself to suit your sound.[/quote]

Funny isn't it - I had that setup and couldn't stand it. Too wooly at higher volumes. I added a 2x10 cab and it was still muddy.

Moved to a Markbass set-up, big improvement.

Now use the Markbass head into a Barefaced cab and it's perfect.

I did try the 1x15 Ampeg cab recently with the markbass head (having sold on the amp and 2x10) and it sounded much better so my conclusion was the Ampeg amp didn't do it for me.

[quote name='Pembo' timestamp='1430430564' post='2761481']
That could be a good shout. I've only tried the Little Mark series and currently got a SA450, so don't know how the Tube/TTE sound. I'm assuming they sound very good though, with a good solid EQ range.
Nice little plug too... ;)
[/quote]

Nope, a nice little plug would have been;

Or a Markbass Little Mark TUBE 800, buy mine! ;) :D

After much digging, consideration and listening to the advice of my BC brethren, with budget in mind, I have drawn up a shortlist of amp heads I want to try:

Aguilar TH350
Ashdown Rootmaster RMMAG 420
Eden E300
Fender Rumble 500 V3
Hartke H3500
Markbass LM250
TC Electronic BH550

Thoughts?

If you can live without the headphone output, PMT ate knocking out the Orange Terror Bass heads for £350. Great vintage tone but then you'd still need to find a cab... but that Fender Rumble combo for £400 sounds like your best bet.

The Ashdown Rootmaster is growing on me. Can't wait to try some of these out. Unfortunately I don't think I'll get to test the Markbass without a long road trip first.

I like the Aguilar, but which 2x10 to pair it with?? Buying the head would leave me around £300-£350 for a cabinet.