Why become a member? ×

Amps - a minefield

Funky Dunky

I've got theLM250 Black line (the cheapo version). It sounds decent and is loud enough for most band settings (for example its been used at the Barras and the ABC mainstages). I dont find it the most exciting of tones, but I'm sure if its coupled with the right cab then it could spring to life. Saying that, I'd still probably get the fender rumble combo!

The trick to owning most of the heads you've listed is to look for a 4 ohm cab.

We have a customer using the LM250 with a Markbass 2x10 4ohm and it sounds great with plenty of volume. Handles all of his gigs without an extension cab quite easily.

Going for the Blackline head would save more money towards the cab and they sound very similar to the LM versions.

Plenty of dealers will offer a 'package' price on a head & cab combination as well :)

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1430681448' post='2763693']
Dude I didn't know you were rocking a Markbass!! What did you use at SXSW?

And what's been your favourite backline thus far?
[/quote]

Haha, aye, got it when my ampeg blew. I don't really use it for the tone though As I have my preamp on my pedal board.. Really just use it as a fancy power amp.

Sxsw just used whatever was supplied, All top notch sh*t though! No 20 year old carslbro things! It was amazing!

The bass you have can have a lot of influence over what amp will suit.

My Precision special with EMGs and Chromes sounded fantastic through my LH1000 and Laney cabs but decidedly flat and lacking everything through my Fender Rumble 500 combo. If I ever use it again I'll be swapping to D'Addario rounds.

I use a Yamaha BB425 with heavier than stock D'addario strings and it sounds incredible through my Fender combo. It's very punchy, warm and is perfect for my wedding/function band as we do a lot of disco/funk/dance type music.

As for being loud enough, I also kept my Laney 15" cab for gigs where I needed more volume and it's never left the house this year. Just the combo

Delbert, that's a good point. A very good point. It"s a marriage of components, some basses/pickups/electronics may couple better with certain amps than others. A worthwhile consideration.

Frash - what you got for a cab these days?

Edited by Funky Dunky

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1430909463' post='2765749']
Hartke LH500 head.....hmmmm.......not bad at all.
[/quote]
Good amps! Good basic core tone, with plenty of clarity at volume. Cheap as chips too! The only reason I sold mine is that it wasn't producing as much in the midrange as I would like. But then again I like a lot of mids and use basses that don't exactly excel at that! :D

I'm so drawn to the Aguilar TH350 though. I love all their stuff, it sounds incredible to my ears. Only problem is, you can't get them in Scotland and God knows how far South I would have to go to get a shot of one.

Plus, I couldn't possibly stretch to an Aguilar cab as well as a head, so what in the name of Jeebus kind of cab do I match an Aguilar head to without compromising it immensely? Buying the Aguilar head would leave me £300 for a 2x10 cab, and I'm not up for buying any old cab just to fit budget.

The agony!!

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1430944347' post='2766271']Plus, I couldn't possibly stretch to an Aguilar cab as well as a head, so what in the name of Jeebus kind of cab do I match an Aguilar head to without compromising it immensely? Buying the Aguilar head would leave me £300 for a 2x10 cab, and I'm not up for buying any old cab just to fit budget.
[/quote]

Does it have to be a 2x10?

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1430989119' post='2766540']
No, I guess it doesn't HAVE to be. But I want it to have good clarity, plenty of bottom without being woolly, powerful enough to play halls and also portable.

What are your thoughts? :-)
[/quote]

That you could get all of these from any number of good quality cabs - the size of the speaker(s) is not the most important factor!

I won't mention the Barefaced word (Oh, OK - I just did!) but several of their cabs (if bought second-hand) would give you what you need :) I would look at manufacturers rather than speaker combinations.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1431018346' post='2766992']
Thing with Barefaced, though, is how do you ever get to hear them? And they are a wee bit expensive to gamble on.
[/quote]Fair point. Where are you based? There may well be a BF owner near you who would be happy to let you hear/try their cab... [url="http://barefacedbass.com/barefaced-map.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/barefaced-map.htm[/url]

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1430944347' post='2766271']
I'm so drawn to the Aguilar TH350 though. I love all their stuff, it sounds incredible to my ears. Only problem is, you can't get them in Scotland and God knows how far South I would have to go to get a shot of one.

Plus, I couldn't possibly stretch to an Aguilar cab as well as a head, so what in the name of Jeebus kind of cab do I match an Aguilar head to without compromising it immensely? Buying the Aguilar head would leave me £300 for a 2x10 cab, and I'm not up for buying any old cab just to fit budget.
[/quote]

Does the TH350 have a headphone jack or an aux in? If I wasn't primarily using a head for gigging, both of these would be essential (or, as others have already mentioned, I'd just use a cheap pedal instead).

Pretty sure £300 would buy you a used Aguilar (or other brand) cab tho.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1430944347' post='2766271']
The agony!!
[/quote]

:lol:

Okay, my plans are somewhat scuppered. The Aguilar, The Ashdown and the Eden - it appears none have a headphone jack. In fact, it appears only the Fender Rumble 500 combo has a headphone jack. This does not please me one iota.

I'm going away to drink heavily and smoke fags.

Edited by Funky Dunky

Read post #6 again........
You can get a headphone option on any amp you like for £35

And just buy an amp online from DV247 or Thomann or somewhere if you insist in buying new.They have good returns policies.

But just read post #6 about buying secondhand.......

😊

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1431189351' post='2768654']
https://youtu.be/dfF4t9-wpCM

That's the amp I really want. That, or a Streamliner - but I can't buy secondhand. Well, I can but I'll have to save up for months. And I mean MONTHS.

Check out 3:30- 3:50 on that video btw :-)
[/quote]

You'll struggle to get that tone just from an amp. Its heavily effected with a blended distortion. He uses a couple of SVT heads with a clean signal from one mixed with varying distorted signals from the others. And his basses are heavily modified too. He plays jazzes mainly I believe but that sounds like a Stingray. A Sansamp or Behringer BDI21 will get you in the ballpark.

Edited by Mudpup