Why become a member? ×

FS: Grendel 5-string bass (by Michael Tobias Design)
£650

MrWalker

Selling this 5-string Grendel bass that was designed by Michael Tobias. It was built in the Czech Republic, and they turned out such a success that Mike took them in under the mtd brand later on, as the mtd Grendel.

This particular bass has a poplar body, with a beautiful flame maple top. It's finished in red. The neck is a one-piece maple neck with Mike's renowned assymetrical profile, and a wenge fingerboard. According to Michael Tobias, these first runs of the mill Grendels were extraordinary good instruments, and I can attest to that. It's got a very tight and responsive B-string.

Unlike the later mtd Grendels, this bass has a 34" scale length, 24 frets. Hipshot (made in US) tuners and bridge, and Bartolini (also made in US) pickups and preamp. There's a stacked bass/treble boost/cut, and a mid-range switch. These basses were also sold in Uk under the name "Stadium"?

I bought this bass in 1996 and I'm the only owner.

Link to Norwegian classified ad site, w/photos:
http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/annonse?finnkode=57389902

Shipping is additional, and the bass is located in Norway.

[attachment=190837:Grendel1.JPG]
[attachment=190838:Grendel2.JPG]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's definitely a great little bass. Lightweight, perfect balance, tight and solid low B. Excellent bass, indeed.
For me it's surplus because it's modern sound is too much like my Ken Smith BT6, and I am looking for a more old school Jazz type sound.
But it's definitely with mixed feelings.

• 5 years later...