Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic BH550 tone print with external pedals problems

matttimms

Hello forum!

So I recently purchased the TC BH550 and I am very happy with it so far. Last night I plugged my pedal board in using the amp for the first time and thought it would be cool to try using some of the tone prints with my pedals to see what sounds I could get.

The problem I had was that when doing this it was almost as if the amp couldn't handle it and t would just make a bad noise instead of either of the effects. The bass would come through but it would be super muddy and farty. for example I tried the octive tone print and a seperate envelope filter or over drive.

Has anyone else had this problem? I 'm wondering if the tone prints aren't meant for multi using with other pedals

any ideas??

cheers,
Matt

I'm a bit confused, but I guess you've been changing the patch on the amp using your phone, right? The phone is sending a signal through your bass down the cable to the amp. If you put pedals in the way, this will interfere with the communication, and so your phone won't be able to speak to your amp properly

So you set your tone print on the amp, and play through it, and this sounds fine. Then, you turn on your effects pedal which is between your bass and amp, and it suddenly sounds muddy and farty, right? Do you notice if the Peak light is on more often when you turn on your pedal? Just thinking it might be over driving the input of the amp

Could you tell us specifically which pedals you tried? And did they all have the exact same effect?

i haven't noticed the peak light coming on at all really. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the cables. Or maybe I had the tone print knobs to wet or dry. Not sure what this could be really, I have a practice next week so will try it all at a louder volume and see.

it could just be that the way you have it set doesn't sound great. If I add more pedals into my pedalboard, I often have to change settings on the pedals which were already there, in order to make them sound good with the new additions, so maybe you just need to do a bit more playing about?

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the BH800. As I've yet to find a drive tone that satisfies my needs I'm pushing things through Sansamps or Boss pedals. I tend to leave the tone controls flat (at the noon position) and let the pedals control the bass/mids/treble and ramp up the gain control accordingly.

Also, to reiterate an earlier post, the Tone Prints rarely load properly if the signal is going through an effects units (on or off), so always go direct.

No issues so far!