Why become a member? ×

N(old)BD - Squier Katana - hard case solution

Paul S

Had minor GAS for one of these for a while which was made worse by a recent post about them. My good fortune, then, to catch one within a very short time of it being listed on eBay yesterday and - less than 24hrs later - it is now here at casa S.

It certainly doesn't disappoint in the flesh - apart from a few dinks in the pointy bit it is in pretty good condition especially when considered it is best part of 30 years old. This is an A series Japanese Squier made '85-86 - basically a Precision with a bonkers shape body and headstock. Here's the best stuff - 32" medium scale length, neck is 38mm width nut and weighing a ridiculous 7lbs on the luggage scale. Nicely made, sounds great, plays even better. Bit of neck dive, nothing I can't live with. Perfectly posey for my new rock covers band.

Happy chap. :)

[attachment=190929:kat1.jpg][attachment=190930:kat2.jpg][attachment=190931:kat3.jpg]

Edited by Paul S

Very Rock. And, yes, I agree, it would go very well with leopardskin. I believe I have a leopardskin strap somewhere that I may use with it. Or Zebra skin.

I, sadly, don't go with leopardskin. Especially not leopardskin Spandex. Or any kind of Spandex, come to that. My Spandex days are well behind me. If, indeed, I ever had any. On stage, off stage, even in the privacy of my own home. Just no.

There is that little club I go to sometimes on alternate Tuesdays, but that doesn't count :unsure: :)

Hmm. just started to think about practicalities such as carting it about and none of the gig bags and cases I have go anywhere near it. :)

Does anyone know of any strangely offset shaped gig bags? Warwick do a Thunderbird one but I don't think even that will fit! :)

Edit - this will do it. [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_gigbag1_bass_heavy.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_gigbag1_bass_heavy.htm[/url]

Edited by Paul S

You don't see them very often - they didn't make many. So far as I can make out from reading around, Fender didn't actually make a Katana bass. They made a Katana guitar then brought out the budget Squier version of it together with a Squier bass version in what was then the fairly new Japanese side of things in an attempt to compete with the odd pointy machines that were being produced in the East. But they were something of a flop and production stopped after just one year.

This really has me hooked, though. The body is missing in some areas where I have extra bits (ok, my belly) and we just seem to fit together nicely. Build quality, tone and playability is exactly what you'd expect from a mid 80s A series Japanese Squier Precision. And it is SO light. :)

• 1 month later...

I think you're right but it looks like a tidy job, just noticed slightly different screws on one of the p-bass pups and 3 top hat knobs (2 x volume, other one tone) instead of fender knobs. Lovely short scale slim neck on mine, nice to play if it wasn't for the awkward body shape!

I actually find the body shape really comfy. No upper bout so my expansive waistline has room for, er, expanding. Nothing to chafe my forearm on when I start digging in. And, yes, medium scale and slim neck are perfect for me, too. And light as a feather without sacrificing a huge sound - it sounds to me *very much* like a JV Squier P I have but perhaps a tad more aggressive. It has become my bass of choice for a new 'rock anthem' covers band :)

I've been thinking that myself, just starting up a rock covers band and my katana has a lot of bite (the 2nd pup is next to the bridge). Comfort wise, I like to sit down and noodle away on my basses but its kinda tricky with all the pointy edges. A lot easier and lighter standing though, I agree.
I bought mine 2nd hand from a shop in Ringwood (Oasis I think!) And it was marked up for £100. I haggled with the guy for a while and got him down to £80 but I think he was pulling my leg a bit cos he said "give us £75" after all that!

£75! Mine was quite a bit more than that... but worth every penny, I think. It is basically an A series MIJ Squier medium scale Precision, which are totally brilliant, but in a funny shape. Probably my second favourite bass to play, behind my A series MIJ medium scale Precision... (sorry Ted)

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update. I bought the gig bag as per post #5 into which it fitted but it is a very baggy fit and doesn't really offer a great deal of protection. Might as well have put it in a duvet cover, really. ABS bass cases don't fit - it is a really odd size and shape and the minimum internal length needs to be 130cm. Being a cheapskate I didn't want to shell out (is that a pun? nearly...) for a custom ali flight case so I started trawling the interweb for ABS cases used for other things having first of all made a paper template of the various position options. I discovered that the dimensions of this double rifle case indicated it would fit. Just. [url="http://www.uttings.co.uk/p106186-plano-gunguard-se-double-rifle-case-do10586/#.VbetE_lVhBf"]http://www.uttings.c...6/#.VbetE_lVhBf[/url]

It arrived today and, yes, it fits. Just. :) £55 delivered, not bad. rather than having a shape to cut out the bass is sandwiched in between two layers of egg box foam and doesn't seem inclined to move when it is all shut up. A couple of spare bits on the corners, just for extra padding. Plus regular basses fit in a treat. It doesn't offer the same kind of protection that something like a Hiscox case would but for putting in and out of the car it is going to do a job. I might get some more! :)

[attachment=197395:katcase1.jpg][attachment=197396:katcase2.jpg][attachment=197397:katcase3.jpg][attachment=197398:katcase4.jpg]

Having spent 2 days trawling the 'net for rifle cases I expect a visit from the CIA soon, of course...

Edit - there is room for a folded up Ultimate Stand in there, too - which this needs to suspend from. Excellent.

Edited by Paul S