Why become a member? ×

Precison Pickup Recommendation for 70s type sounds

Lozz196

As above really. I love my 78 Precision, the sound I get from it is amazing. So I want to relicate that in my 2010 Precision which, whilst a great bass, sounds a tad too modern in comparison.

So any recommendations - I`ve already used Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders and they`re too modern as well (much too much so), and the SPB1 was far too bassy for me, lacked top-end bite which is what I`m looking for.

I did have a Hot Rod (ex Wizard) Thumper in a Mex Precision and that was quite near, but I really want to try and nail it as close as possible. The DiMarzio Model P is great, but is too high-powered in comparison, I suppose I`m not looking for an overwound pickup here.

So help please.

I know what you mean Lozz, some of those 70's pups just have that sparkle.
I haven't tried a lot of aftermarket Precision pickups but the SD anitquity II's I had were nice but a bit more old school and 60's sounding to my ear.
Before I got my 70's pups rewired and working again I was thinking of asking Mark at Limelight if they'd flog me a pair.

Let us know how you get on.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1430418736' post='2761295']
What's in the 78 Lozz? I get a bit mixed up with P bass pups. :unsure:
[/quote]

Just stock pickups Gary - I don`t know how better to describe them as they sound like Ian Paisley, they just bark ultra-aggressively, but they`re not overwound as they don`t break up any earlier than my others.

Maybe it`s a combination of the ash/maple/heaviness and the pickups themselves, but I just love the sound so much - and don`t really want to spend another £1000-plus when my 2010 is a great bass in itself.

Good idea re Limelight Don - may well get in touch with Mark, see if he can do something for me.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1430418764' post='2761296']
...the SD anitquity II's I had were nice but a bit more old school and 60's sounding to my ear.
[/quote]

I think the Antiquity II in an ash/maple bass would crack it. It's around 10-11K which is where you want to be.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1430420476' post='2761334']
Maybe it`s a combination of the ash/maple/heaviness and the pickups themselves...
[/quote]

That's it right there - it's a combination of the three. Excuse my ignorance but what is a 2010 P made from?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430421345' post='2761352']
I think the Antiquity II in an ash/maple bass would crack it. It's around 10-11K which is where you want to be.
That's it right there - it's a combination of the three. Excuse my ignorance but what is a 2010 P made from?
[/quote]

They`re made of alder, Mark. I accept that I`m never going to get there exactly, possibly due to the ash/alder part, but the SD Antiquity was on my list of those to consider, nice to heave a couple of mentions already.

Can you get one made? I'm sure if you send your other one off someone could give the wire and winding a once over and have a good go at creating one. I know the perfect guy, but he is unfortunately out of action for the time being. He makes some incredible pickups though at good prices. I'm sure there are others that do likewise out there.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1430420476' post='2761334']

I don`t know how better to describe them as they sound like Ian Paisley, they just bark ultra-aggressively
[/quote]

You have surpassed yourself Lozz. That's an inspired addition to the lexicon of bass sound descriptions! Hat duly doffed.

I've got a Wizard Thumper Plus in my Frankenstein P you can certainly try if you wish.

I'm about to swap the neck and hardware on the bass, so it will be sat round for a while. I have a standard Thumper in my Jap 70's P and asked Andy for something the same with a bit more Grrrrr, and he said "I'll make you a Thumper Plus".

It's difficult to describe the sound as it is in a fretless bass at the mo, but it seems to have a bit of poke about it.

Thanks Raggy, much appreciated, the Hot Rod Thumper I had was almost there, but I think I`ve now found the solution - in buying another bass. There`s a Lakland Bob Glaub on here, ash-bodied, maple neck, Lindy Fralin pickups and from reviews/comments on Talkbass it seems this will do what I want. I just have to get used to a bass without "Fender" on the headstock - it may be traumatic, but I`m sure I`ll overcome it.

I`m hoping so Mark, it ticks all the boxes, ash/maple, and from what I`ve read Lindy Fralins Precision pickups are based on 70s Fenders ones, so other than buying another 70s Precision, which I don`t want to do cos they`re more expensiver, this looks to be the best way - it`s the Skyline version btw, so not mega-bucks. And it`s a nice 9lbs as well, so will use it for rehearsals save having the 10.6lb 78 over my shoulder for 3 hours.

Nice one.
I have a single coil Frailin in my 51 RI and it's by far the most sensitive pickups I have, It's fairly hot and seems to react a lot to the volume and tone blending.
Not sure how the split P's are.
Looks like a nice bass.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1430640166' post='2763197']
Sounds good Lozz. Look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

Remember our conversations about Jazz basses a couple of weeks back? Well I've gone and ordered another one :unsure: :lol:
[/quote]

Gary, where was the coded-message - it could have saved all that messing about. Still, I`m sure at some pint we`ll find Jazzes that work for us. In all honesty if mine doesn`t sell I won`t be that fussed, it`s only cos I won`t use it in the band that I`m selling it and think it`s a waste sat at home.

Great to hear about the Fralins Don - am looking forward to hearing them, the guys on Talkbass seem to rate them highly.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1430644438' post='2763227']
Gary, where was the coded-message - it could have saved all that messing about. Still, I`m sure at some pint we`ll find Jazzes that work for us. In all honesty if mine doesn`t sell I won`t be that fussed, it`s only cos I won`t use it in the band that I`m selling it and think it`s a waste sat at home.

Great to hear about the Fralins Don - am looking forward to hearing them, the guys on Talkbass seem to rate them highly.
[/quote]

:lol: GAS attack prevented delivery of the coded message.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1430585015' post='2762895']
Thanks Raggy, much appreciated, the Hot Rod Thumper I had was almost there, but I think I`ve now found the solution - in buying another bass. There`s a Lakland Bob Glaub on here, ash-bodied, maple neck, Lindy Fralin pickups and from reviews/comments on Talkbass it seems this will do what I want. I just have to get used to a bass without "Fender" on the headstock - it may be traumatic, but I`m sure I`ll overcome it.
[/quote]

No problem Lozz, sounds like the Lakland will do the job :)

I know where you're coming from re the Fender logo, took me a few gigs to get used to it ;)

Edited by Raggy

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1430698186' post='2763861']
I have an actual pair of 70s Precision pickups, removed when I put diMarzios in my old P, which have been sitting in a drawer for over 30 years. Interested?
[/quote]

I may well be - will give the Lakkie a good tryout first but thanks, that sounds great.

Have you listened to the Squier Matt Freeman Precision? The pickup is custom wound to replicate his 70s P Bass pickup. My bandmates love the sound of it, I haven't found anything about the bass to change and I've just bought another Matt Freeman with an SPB-3 that I'll be swapping out for the original pickup as soon as I get it.

I played on the same bill as a band whose bassist was using a Matt Freeman Squier - must admit it did sound very nice. He used my rig and my settings - this going back a while when I was using a 2011 Precison - and his sound was much more aggressive. I`d forgotten about the MF til you brought it up Jono. Something to consider in the future if the Lakkie doesn`t work out.