Why become a member? ×

May Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

Looks like I'm first out of the blocks with a large slab of dub, just like them thar old timers used to play round the camp fire when there wasn't other cowboys to shoot...
Hasn't come out quite as big as it sounded before Soundcloud compression!

https://soundcloud.com/dredd-and-the-badass-weed/tombstone-dub

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1430929318' post='2766084']
Looks like I'm first out of the blocks with a large slab of dub, just like them thar old timers used to play round the camp fire when there wasn't other cowboys to shoot...
Hasn't come out quite as big as it sounded before Soundcloud compression!

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dredd-and-the-badass-weed/tombstone-dub"]https://soundcloud.c...d/tombstone-dub[/url]
[/quote]

Another one of yours I really like , your voice is definitely sounding awesome on this one :D , great use of the harp , ties it together really well , excellent starter for ten with that tune . I wouldn't normally listen to others before mine is done, however, the tune is done , but I am now on take 50 or so with the vocal , even Mrs Lurks had a go , that was soooo funny , I have however promised her I won't use it , :lol:

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1430942584' post='2766251']

Another one of yours I really like , your voice is definitely sounding awesome on this one :D , great use of the harp , ties it together really well , excellent starter for ten with that tune . I wouldn't normally listen to others before mine is done, however, the tune is done , but I am now on take 50 or so with the vocal , even Mrs Lurks had a go , that was soooo funny , I have however promised her I won't use it , :lol:
[/quote]

Ta! You'll no doubt be unsurprised to hear that the vocals are samples...

Well, against all the odds, I managed to get an entry of sorts cobbled together (technical term...); here it is...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/gold-rush-we-dont-need-no-stinkin-gold-rush"]Gold rush..? We don't need no stinkin' gold rush..![/url]

A bit rough around the edges (yes, even more so than usual..! :blush: ), but it'll have to do. Innovation, in that I was able to record my own drums, guitar and bass for this. We're a long way from Abbey Road, but I'm quite pleased with the result, especially as I was not able to give it my full attention. Enjoy..!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1431155582' post='2768246']
Liking the donkeys! Chickens are so passe...
[/quote]

Cheers..! :)

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1431155582' post='2768246']...(how do you do an accent?)
[/quote]

Badly. :blush:

[url="http://accentcodes.com/"]ASCII codes ...[/url]

"é" = Alt 0233 (é...)

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1431155582' post='2768246']
Liking the donkeys! Chickens are so passe... (how do you do an accent?)
[/quote]

I have to say, I don't know how you picked up that the donkeys had French accent , top marks :P

Well done Douglas, I reckon you have broken new ground with that one , I don't recall actual real drums being recorded for a challenge thus far, excellent .

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

I'll 'spill the beans' on my sophisticated tracking system at month's end to explain how that authentic 'thwack' was captured... ;)
I should put in an official wanted' ad, I suppose, but I 'd like suggestions as to how to, on a more than tight budget, get a 'field recording' using 2 mics, preferably with phantom power. Anyone got any success stories..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1431205293' post='2768855']
...............I 'd like suggestions as to how to, on a more than tight budget, get a 'field recording' using 2 mics, preferably with phantom power. Anyone got any success stories..?
[/quote]

Put both mics in the same 'field' as the drums I guess :P

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1431205648' post='2768857']
Put both mics in the same 'field' as the drums I guess :P
[/quote]

You were champing at the bit to get that one in, right..? I'll plough on, and not let the grass grow under my feet, despite that corny offering. Any other left field comments..? Come on, don't be shy; get it out of your system whilst we're here, you'll feel much better for it. What..? No tractors..? No gates..? Combine harvesters..? Load of bull..? I'm disappointed. A right flock of sheep. Huh..!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1431206396' post='2768862']

You were champing at the bit to get that one in, right..? I'll plough on, and not let the grass grow under my feet, despite that corny offering. Any other left field comments..? Come on, don't be shy; get it out of your system whilst we're here, you'll feel much better for it. What..? No tractors..? No gates..? Combine harvesters..? Load of bull..? I'm disappointed. A right flock of sheep. Huh..!
[/quote]
Hay, I suppose a quick dig will always crop up , but it amaizes me how quickly you sow the seeds of an idea and reap the rewards .

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1431210472' post='2768920']
Hay, I suppose a quick dig will always crop up , but it amaizes me how quickly you sow the seeds of an idea and reap the rewards .
[/quote]

That's barley enough, wheat next..? Please stay oat tea.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1431204143' post='2768836']
OK then

Lots of singing on this one I am afraid :blush: , but I suppose a ballad has to have some words :D

[url="https://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/the-ballad-of-ed-schieffelin"]The Ballad of Ed Scheiffelin[/url]

I hope you enjoy
[/quote]

Nice!
I could definitely imagine that going on in the bar while Audie Murphy stands on a box battling with the likes of Broderick Crawford!

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1431204143' post='2768836']
OK then

Lots of singing on this one I am afraid :blush: , but I suppose a ballad has to have some words :D

[url="https://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/the-ballad-of-ed-schieffelin"]The Ballad of Ed Scheiffelin[/url]

I hope you enjoy
[/quote]

Great stuff, as usual. 'Sgonna be yet another good month, I reckon... B)