Why become a member? ×

May Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

[size=5][color=#800000][b]May’s Composition Challenge is now underway![/b][/color][/size]

[size=5]Here’s the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month's winner [b]Lowdown[/b]…[/size]

[size=5]And here are the rules 'n' stuff…[/size]

[size=4]By entering the competition you agree to the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules"]Basschat Terms & Conditions[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/3178-forum-guidelines/"]Forum Guidelines[/url], which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:[/size]

[size=4][b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive[/b]. If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.[/size]

[size=4][b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.[/size]

[size=4]For reference: here's a great source of copyright-free material, all available under Creative Commons license: http://www.freesound.org/[/size]

[size=4][b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating![/size]

[size=4]If you have any questions about the competition rules, just ask.[/size]

[b][color=#800000][size=5]The deadline for entries is midnight on Sunday 24th May.[/size][/color][/b]

[size=4][i]Yeeehaw![/i] :) [/size]

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1430485049' post='2761910']
i didn't even see a voting page for the last one. or was that relocated?
[/quote]

Hi Rob. We've starting pinning the voting threads in General Discussion to help give the challenge a little more 'exposure'. Here's a link to April's:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/260678-april-composition-challenge-voting/

:)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1430494865' post='2762060']
Hi Rob. We've starting pinning the voting threads in General Discussion to help give the challenge a little more 'exposure'. Here's a link to April's:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/260678-april-composition-challenge-voting/"]http://basschat.co.u...allenge-voting/[/url]

:)
[/quote]

that would be why... i'm a little bit out of the scene

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1430499611' post='2762131']
I've made a start...
And funnily enough it doesn't sound anything like Frankie Laine singing the "Ok Corral" theme.
In fact it's veering wildly toward sleng teng!
[/quote]

Oh dear, Ennio Morricone meets the Sex Pistols having a go at Jazz.
I think I know what's coming.... :lol:

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1430501387' post='2762146']
I think I know what's coming.... :lol:
[/quote]

I don't think you do! :gas:

So far we've got bass (lots, though only 4 notes), drums (various!), keys (6!), some vocal samples and a large shed full of echo, plus a little bit of beatboxing... :facepalm:

I popped into the Port Crack Converters this afternoon to see what they had, and spied me a Banjo , however they wanted more for a second hand one than a new one of the same model :o , and would not talk of offers , so virtual banjo it is , I also had a harp in mind Leonard , and a proper jangley saloon bar piano :rolleyes: .

That said , it might not come out like that at all , last month was the first time that the finished article sounded something like the idea I had in my head at the start of the process, I was well chuffed with that , but at the minute I think I am just going to keep making a selection of noises till I like the sound of one , then run with it , add too much to it , and add enough finishing touches to hide the lack of quality in both the performance and production :lol:

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1430589959' post='2762959']

I am just going to keep making a selection of noises till I like the sound of one , then run with it , add too much to it , and add enough finishing touches to hide the lack of quality in both the performance and production :lol:
[/quote]

Aye...
Mine's had its first roll in glitter.
Next comes the 2nd coat, followed by some ribbon bows and one of those raffia pom-poms. Or maybe 2!

In fairness, I think you can offer as many up as you think we can listen to , but I would suggest identifying 1 piece as your entry to the actual challenge. I know Dad is a bit under the weather at the moment , but if we allowed multiple entries, he would be uploading one every 24hrs , he can be a touch productive when on form ;) .

[quote name='BirchTree' timestamp='1430646126' post='2763245']
Just as matter of interest, would it possible to submit more than 1 piece of music?
[/quote]

Yep, you'd be welcome to submit more than one entry!

It's never been done before and might cause a black hole to open in space time, swallowing the Earth into a 4th dimension ruled by parallel clones of the Chuckle Brothers. But on your head be it ;)

Multiple posts..? Yes, I've posted more than one in past months, but thought it better to declare only one as my 'official' entry, the others being described as 'freebies', or 'throw-aways'. Nothing in principle prevents genuine differing versions of one's inspiration, though, so if you're up to it, go for it..!
'[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A bit under the weather'..? Indeed; but more of a quaint euphemism, I fear. I've tried dabbling with a couple of virtual banjos, but the mind really isn't into it, this month. Not without hope, and I'll be the first to feel delighted with a change of situation. Don't wait up for me, though. Thanks, all, for the flowers and showers of cards, grapes and Lucozade. Back soon, I hope...[/font][/color]

Edited by Dad3353

Oh , mine is taking shape , the musicality behind it is just about done , but as this one is going to be a folk ballad now :gas: , I think I need a voice that sounds listenable , and as I type this I have had an idea ............... :huh: