Why become a member? ×

Emergency! First DB gig tomorrow....blister on forefinger tip

Help....need some serious advice. My very first DB gig tomorrow and the whole of the tip of my forefinger has blistered. Obviously too much practice. I have soaked it in warm salty water, ice packed it and put a blister plaster on it. Anything else I can do?

If it were me I'd soften the skin in warm water then (puke) see if you can pop the blister and cut away the dead skin. Keep it dry and uncovered to let the skin dry out as much as possible and you should have something you can work with by tomorrow night. Main thing is keeping it dry and clean once you've got the dead skin out the way.
If I have a run on bass guitar and go back to a heavy upright gig having not played it for a few weeks this can happen so I'm well used to this trick.
On the gig, trying plucking further up over the fingerboard where the string is less taught and easier on the fingers- you'll last that bit longer trust me.
Good luck!
I feel your pain...

Just noticed an earlier thread on this but this seems to be more preventative. There is talk of superglue! I have a thick callus with a blister under the callus. Not much fluid in there. Will have a look tomorrow and see if I can burst it. Bugger

There are loads of ways people suggest for preventing blisters but the best way is to just keep playing and build your chops up.
If you're going with my method soak it and burst tonight so it can dry out overnight. It'll be pretty raw for a good few hours once you cut the blister away so you might as well sleep through that fun period ;)

Drain the blister but leave the skin in place, tape it up, and depending on how you play, maybe tape up the one next to it too - I do a lot of pizzicato with two fingers, and if the index finger was hurting I think the second finger would instinctively step up a bit.

Drain the blister with a sterilised needle (hold in in the steam from a boiling kettle for as long as you can bear it). Piece the blister away from the main playing meat at the base of the blister and gently apply digital pressure to drain it. Then cover the lot with super glue.

Thanks for all the advice. Meant to say that it was my left hand forefinger...the fretting hand. Cold not face open finger surgery. Ended up taping it up and taking paracetamol and anti inflams and it worked. Gig went great! Gonna try and play through it...took me a lot of work to get that hard skin in place and hope to keep it

[quote name='mikebass84' timestamp='1430950297' post='2766334']
Pop. Drain. Superglue.
[/quote]

Lol :)

Actually, you can buy a finger tape, marketed as "Double Bass Finger Tape"
Got a roll from ebay, after following a link on this forum

When I started playing (and indeed now, if I haven't played for a while,
I end up with blisters, or at least, very sore finger tips

Before I bought the tape, I wondered whether I'd be able to play with it on
but after reading of a few BC'ers who recommended it, I bought one
and I have to say, it's relatively comfortable and I can continue playing..... after a fashion ;)
and it does seem to stay put as well, unlike plasters

I suspect that it's actually a medical product, maybe "primapore" or some such like
But I keep my roll in my DB case - in case I get a paper cut etc
Personally, I think it's good stuff, and very handy....

Glad the gig went OK

EDIT: This is the stuff
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Bass-Finger-Tape-/321740151750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae9351bc6"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ae9351bc6[/url]

Edited by Marc S

Yes, I agree the tape is great stuff
I gave a piece to a guitarist pal on the weekend
He'd been gigging for several days, and had a nasty blister on one finger

He couldn't believe how well the tape protected the blister,
and allowed him to continue jamming / working out a song
Let us know if you get some of the tape, and what you think

Marc

[quote name='Steve Tucker' timestamp='1431096891' post='2767806']
Hi Lowlandtrees, did you end up getting the tape, its great stuff put double bass finger tape into Google you will find the website, they ship worldwide. Hope it helps
Steve.
[/quote]Got the tape. Gonna gaffa tape it to my bass case. Thanks.

Steve Tucker I have a roll of your tape in my bag, only used once as the days of 5 gigs a week are well over unfortunately. It is a great idea to have a tape specifically targeted to DB players so hats off to you. Coincidence is, my dad in law was playing a trad jazz cd the other day, he said he got it at a wedding from the band that was playing, somewhere in Devon, then took it back to Scotland. I asked who it was and he said "Steve Tucker band". Small world indeed.

Edited by Rabbie
  • Like 1