Why become a member? ×

Strange Audition

Nicko

So we contacted a rhythm guitarist and he came along to practice on Thursday. We told him we had a gig coming up and told him we could only give him half an hour. He turned up without a guitar and told us he didn't want to distract us, listened to us for a while and left saying he hoped we'd call him after the gig. What was the f***ing point of that?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1430563190' post='2762606']
Sounds like he auditioned [u]you[/u] and has decided he wants you all in [u]his[/u] band.
[/quote]

Yes, but he could have done that and brought his plank couldn't he?

I fear the rest of the band will agree to call him, even though his musical taste is very different fom the band - Dire Staits is not in our set list, and will never be as long as I'm part of it

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1430563915' post='2762620']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]...his musical taste is very different fom the band - D[/font][/color]ire Straits is not in our set list, and will never be as long as I'm part of it.
[/quote]

Oh dear. I think that's all you need to know right there, isn't it? ...In my humble opinion, and all. :)

Not sure what he thought that would achieve..??
Why on earth would someone think that would work...
unless you've headhunted him and know all about
his playing, but even then it's not the playing level...
you'd want to hear how he'd fit with musical chemistry
etc..??

He probably assumed that, if you could only give him half an hour, you weren't very interested. It would take him ten minutes to set up and then you'd be showing him the door after twenty minutes of noodling.
Try to see it from his perspective.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1430567161' post='2762675']
He probably assumed that, if you could only give him half an hour, you weren't very interested. It would take him ten minutes to set up and then you'd be showing him the door after twenty minutes of noodling.
Try to see it from his perspective.
[/quote]

But it's an audition?! If that's what he was thinking then you would just blow ot out, surely?
Got to love the skinny stringers :lol:

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1430567161' post='2762675']
...you'd be showing him the door after twenty minutes of noodling.
[/quote]

I'd be showing him the door much sooner than that if he started playing [i]Sultans of Swing[/i]. :D

Was he clear it was an audition, rather than a 'we're having a practice before a gig, do you want to pop along?' sort of thing? Had you agreed what songs he was to learn etc..? Sounds like a communications issue to me.

We auditioned a guitarist once, and to be fair he did actually bring a guitar with him. However he barely played a note and spent most of the audition listening in awe to the rest of us. I think he probably realised he wasn't good enough. Needless to say he didn't get the job. Bizarre audition though

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1430563915' post='2762620']
I fear the rest of the band will agree to call him, even though his musical taste is very different fom the band - Dire Staits is not in our set list, and will never be as long as I'm part of it
[/quote]

Was it Mark Knopfler? The Knop doesn't need to prove himself to anyone

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430569392' post='2762699']
I'd be showing him the door much sooner than that if he started playing [i]Sultans of Swing[/i]. :D
[/quote]

Ahem! I'm really rather fond of Dire Straits. Care to step outside?

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1430571487' post='2762726']
Ahem! I'm really rather fond of Dire Straits. Care to step outside?
[/quote]

I saw them in 1977 or 1978 (before they were signed) at the recently-opened Swindon Oasis - they supported Talking Heads (who I had gone to see) and I had no clue who they were. They sounded like a pub rock band to me. Talking Heads were totally fabulous. At that time I did not think DS were [i]quite [/i]as fabulous, and nothing they did after that changed my mind. So, thpp! :P *Runs away thumbing nose - crashes into lamp-post - is rendered unconscious - instant karma*

Edit - Many years later the Gallagher brothers saw Inspiral Carpets there and used the name of the venue for their equally unremarkable pub-rock band. Not many people know that.

Edited by discreet

We once auditioned a vocalist who turned up with an acoustic guitar, we asked if he intended playing it, and he replied, "no, I can't play guitar, I just like to have it with me all the time", and just stood it in the corner of the room.

Just before we started, he asked if he could go to the reception for some food and drink as he had come straight from work, he came back to the room with two rounds of sandwiches, crisps, chocolate bars, and two cans of drink.

He couldn't sing either, so he didn't get the job, but when we went to pay for the room, we found out that he had put his food and drink on the tab, so we had to pay an extra £9.50

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1430572935' post='2762747']
We once auditioned a vocalist who turned up with an acoustic guitar, we asked if he intended playing it, and he replied, "no, I can't play guitar, I just like to have it with me all the time", and just stood it in the corner of the room.

Just before we started, he asked if he could go to the reception for some food and drink as he had come straight from work, he came back to the room with two rounds of sandwiches, crisps, chocolate bars, and two cans of drink.

He couldn't sing either, so he didn't get the job, but when we went to pay for the room, we found out that he had put his food and drink on the tab, so we had to pay an extra £9.50
[/quote]

Another total plank!! :blink:

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1430572935' post='2762747']

[/quote]ha ha, i like his style

The first band I ever put together was looking for a second guitarist. Our biggest influence was Motorhead and we wanted to be heavy. My brother brought along a girl who brought an acoustic guitar with her and tried her level best to get us to change into a country and western band instead. She was genuinely surprised when she didn't get the job.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430572646' post='2762743']
I saw them in 1977 or 1978 (before they were signed) at the recently-opened Swindon Oasis - they supported Talking Heads (who I had gone to see) and I had no clue who they were. They sounded like a pub rock band to me. Talking Heads were totally fabulous. At that time I did not think DS were [i]quite [/i]as fabulous, and nothing they did after that changed my mind. So, thpp! :P *Runs away thumbing nose - crashes into lamp-post - is rendered unconscious - instant karma*

Edit - Many years later the Gallagher brothers saw Inspiral Carpets there and used the name of the venue for their equally unremarkable pub-rock band. Not many people know that.
[/quote]

So were the Gallagher brothers originally called "Swindon Oasis"? Christ, that's a weird name for a band.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430572646' post='2762743']

[/quote]

I knew that, as local radio made a big thing of it at the time.

Anyway each to their own - Talking Heads leave me cold!