Why become a member? ×

New Tuners

joeystrange

I bought a Dee Dee Ramone P-Bass when they came out and whilst it's a great bass overall the tubers are shocking. I have to retune after pretty much every song.

So, having only used stock tuners in the past, I wanted to ask what you folks have used, what's good and what should be avoided?

Our guitarist told me to get Grovers but I know nothing about them.

Cheers.

How new are the strings, before you look at changing the tuners? Apologies if pointing out what you already know, but if new, give them a good stretch before they`re in the tuning pegs, then once in the tuning pegs, tune up to the desired note and then stretch again, then retune again. Another thing I always do is get a pencil and put some of the graphite (it`s not lead, must obey Mr Somersets rules here) in the nut. Makes the string less likely to get stuck. If after all that and they won`t hold tune, well Grovers, Schallers, Hipshots, all pretty good.

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1430681876' post='2763700']
I bought a Dee Dee Ramone P-Bass when they came out and whilst it's a great bass overall the tubers are shocking.
[/quote]

Have they had their chips, or do they mash the sound up?

After switching out the strings and lubing up the nut slots (with pencil graphite) you will hopefully never ever ever have issues of tuning problems ever again.

But if the issues return - try getting it looked at by an experienced setup & repair person / tech... Someone you wouldn't hesitate to fit a set of tuners on yer lovely bass. Could be that the tuners aren't reliable. . . could be they're loose or poorly fitted, could be that they need to be strung a certain way (not likely but not impossible).

Good luck, keep us posted. I've heard great things about Wilkinson tuners (for the price I've heard they're super), Some people will only trust grover (more common on the guitarist side of things), or schaller, or Hipshot - Only one's I've tried are hipshot. 10/10 for accuracy and stability. Cost a fair bit though.

Joey and I have had a chat about this and I can't add to you guys comments.
When I got mine I was a little concerned that the back plates of the tuners looked a bit cheap.
The first week or so I had it, as with all new strings, I tuned it a couple of times a day, stretching and pulling the strings away from the board.
I've done a few 2.5 hour gigs with it since and mine stays perfectly in tune.
Good luck Joey.

Thanks for all the input. These are things that I've never even considered before.

The bass came with 45-100 strings fitted and I switched them for my usual gauge, 50-110. Could it be that the nut slots are slightly too small and the strings are getting pinched?

I'll definitely try the pencil thing. Does it need doing whenever the strings are changed or just once?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the tuners didn't seem very smooth when I changed the strings so maybe the nut slots are too small. I'll get that looked at.

Edited by joeystrange

i bought one last week and have gigged it twice and it held tune fine, even on the 3 hour drive with it stuffed in the back with all the other gear it came out the other side still in tune, maybe i struck it lucky with mine, i love it!

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1430847555' post='2765195']
Thanks for all the input. These are things that I've never even considered before.

The bass came with 45-100 strings fitted and I switched them for my usual gauge, 50-110. Could it be that the nut slots are slightly too small and the strings are getting pinched?

I'll definitely try the pencil thing. Does it need doing whenever the strings are changed or just once?

[/quote]

Could be the slightly bigger strings. Re the pencil thing, I do that every time I change strings. Don`t know if it`s needed, but I figure it`s not going to cause issues, so always do it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1430925291' post='2766028']
Re the pencil thing, I do that every time I change strings. Don`t know if it`s needed, but I figure it`s not going to cause issues, so always do it.
[/quote]

Without getting all pedantic about things.. what kind of pencil? Hard or soft lead? HB? The Shakepeare (2B or not 2B)? Does it matter? :huh: