Why become a member? ×

Upgrade to B7K or stay with B3K?

fretmeister

I have the latest model B7K, I had the B3K years ago but not compared them back to back... But I do know that the 7 does not sound exactly the same as the EQ imparts some colour and a volume boost to the overall tone. Also the latest pedals (both models) have a cut position on the attack switch nowadays, although I prefer not to use it and reduce treble with the EQ instead if necessary.

Edited by dannybuoy

there is some interesting discussion in the final few pages of this talkbass thread. I believe the EQ plays a really strong part in allowing for much greater tonal variation. The B7K in whatever form it's in will have the same clank, but you'll get more options. I'd recommend keeping the B3K until the B7K arrives :)

that's true. most of the last 5-10 pages had a lot of people talking about how they use different darkglass pedals with some stacking B7Ks or VMT deluxe with B3K and using the EQ of the 1st pedals to control how the drive section of the B3K sounded.

Edited by The Badderer

I have both. To be honest, I have never run the B7K flat so don't actually know how they compare. However, If there is any tone difference with the B7K flat, it will be so very slight you'll never hear it in a mix. The B7K is a huge upgrade, I sold my original B3K as I found it too restrictive tonally, the B7K is in a different league, a true preamp. Having them both together stacked is just brutal, and possible without bucket loads of hiss now thanks to the Attack Cut mode, huge improvement for both units.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1430853115' post='2765293']
I gave in and ordered one at lunch time!

My 3 is a USA one without the cut switch and can be a little hissy at full tilt.
[/quote]

The new Finnish ones are a good improvement, immaculate build quality, a much better relay switch (I had three US ones fail on me, haven't purchased 3Leaf since) and the far more useful Attack Cut switch.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1431210139' post='2768906']
A bit late now, but another option would've been to keep the B3K and run it into this which should be out next week!

[/quote]
Ambitious! I would love it to be out next week, but I imagine this and the compressor won't actually go into full production for a wee while longer.

Would love to be wrong, as I intend on buying both!