Why become a member? ×

New amp - Demeter VTBP-M-800D

JapanAxe

This is my third attempt to write this post, as previous ones got bogged down in detail.

In short, this is one brilliant amp. The sound is so clear that you can hear yourself without having the volume up high, but even when loud it never sounds obnoxious. Clear, smooth, sweet, and warm without losing its lovely high end (which puts it way ahead of the GB Streamliner). Background noise is extremely low - you wouldn't know it's on!

As well as plenty of home use, I have used it as follows with a classic rock band I have been depping with:

[indent=1]Rehearsal: '73 Precision (Chromes) > Demeter > BF Midget[/indent]

[indent=1]Pub gig: Fender Pawn Shop Mustang (Chromes) > Demeter > BF Midget + Compact stack[/indent]

The mid control is passive, and I dislike a scooped sound, so I keep this at 2-3 o'clock. The switch by the input sets the overall tone of the amp: dark/normal/bright. I normally go for dark (not dull!), but with the Mustang I selected bright, cranked up the Presence @2kHz, bass flat, treble rolled back slightly, and was rewarded with a monster rock tone. I adjusted volume and tone on the bass according to the song. I was smiling all night hearing the sound coming from behind me (even with earplugs in).

I used to think I needed some drive to get 'my' sound, but it was probably more to do with mid-range 'colour'. The Demeter has only a volume control, which comes after the valve preamp. I can just get it to overdrive audibly by playing the Mustang harder than normal, so no need for me to adjust the internal trim pot.

[u]Things I like[/u]

The sound - pure quality. Did I mention the clarity? It's not sterile-sounding by any means, but you can hear and bring out the voice of each bass. The various controls are worth spending some time on, but I think I have it sussed now, so for me it has become plug-and-play.

There is no fan, just a mahoosive heatsink and passive ventilation for the 800W Minnie Class D amp section.

The amp came fitted with JJ valves (my first choice for off-the-shelf quality), but I may swap out the 12AX7 for a '76 Sylvania at some point.

Last and probably least, it actually looks like a proper amp head and not a boy racer's car stereo! Despite the wooden sleeve, it only weighs 10.5lb, and fits comfortably in a double bass-drum pedal gig bag. It is a perfect match width-wise for my Midget, and looks perfectly at home on top of a Midget/Compact stack.

[u]Things I don't like[/u]

I would have preferred a mute switch, which I think could have been implemented using the relay that mutes the audio for the first 15-20 seconds after power-up; clearly not a deal breaker though!

Full disclosure: This example developed a fault whereby the power stayed on when the amp was switched off. Bassgear got it fixed for me FOC (replacement mains switch), but a similar fault has now recurred, so it has to go back again. As a result I have had fewer opportunities to gig/rehearse with it than I would like, and I will probably have to use other amps for my gig and rehearsal this coming weekend. When Mrs Axe asked me whether I was going to request a refund, I said what's the point, I'd only want to buy it again!

Now a couple of pics:

[b]Midget mini-stack[/b]

[b]Snug as a bug in a gig-bag[/b]

[b][/b]

These amps are on back-order so you may not have many opportunities to hear or try one. If you are local to Swindon and want to try mine, PM me, but it will likely be a week or two before I have the amp back again.

Also if I have any public gigs I will add a post to this thread.

Edited by JapanAxe

Demeter do excellent amps. I have the rackmount HBP1-800D pre/power setup. I use it mainly with my Barefaced Big Twin T (2 x 12, 1 x 6 and tweeter). Oh MY! :D As you say you can hear yourself without having to crank the volume. I've had mine at nearly half vol. and that was loud enough. Plenty of headroom and clear as anything.

I'm looking at this amp as I want more headroom for gigs where I don't use a DB750.
The thing I don't like about lightweight amps so far is that they fail soundwise when pushed.
And I've just sat thru an afternoon of bands all turning up with small amps and rigs and none
of them had a sound that would work even in a pub. They had the volume, but the sound was
pretty awful/meh. It also depends what you ask the amp/cab to cope with but clean and audible
was not it. Some players want that and only need that and then that is ok... but altho they did the
gig and they 'got away' with it... none had a good bass sound in itself. IMO.
This is why, whenever I get the chance, I take out a big amp.

Amps on show today were a
Genz B, Markbass TC BG250 and an Ashdown

And because of this, I'm thinking about changing my lightweight amp out for this amp
as the headroom angle is interesting....

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1430772755' post='2764505']
I've got a Dementor VTBP -201S.

Well, a modelled one on my Digitech BP 355 ;)[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

Is that part of the Harry Potter series of custom patches? :)

I gigged mine at the weekend and, even up against a very loud drummer, I had to turn the volume down to about 10:00 because the bass was becoming overpowering!

The little Minnie amp stage really helps to generate not only a lot of power but also to clean up the note to note definition. We've tested this as a simple power amp with a variety of pre amps and front end pres of integrated amps and it was universally a significant improvement on anything else we could find.

I was always really sceptical about power amps doing anything more than just adding volume to a pre-amp signal but this one really changed my perceptions of how a good one can work tonally.

As an integrated head with a lovely valve based pre-amp it's just about my perfect package :)

My one is also available for testing if anyone wants to pop along to the store. There's a batch of new ones arriving in a few weeks as well :)

Thanks for the review, I've been admiring these and it's great to get some first-hand feedback on them :)

The power switch fault is worrying though, having it go once is unfortunate, but twice?! Pretty bad for such a premium amp IMO.

What's the repair turnaround time like - do they have to go back to the US each time?

molan: It would be interesting to know if this fault has been properly rectified for the next batch?

I bought my " Minnie" about a year ago, gigged infrequently, rehearsed same, never missed a beat, some issues with to hot an input signal, just turned the bass down, volume up. Never been past 6 'o clock into a 2 cab ( 8 Ohms each) 4 Ohm load. Very subtle in the way the controls interact a bit too subtle for me, but I like leaving the tone controls flat let the bass take over. It's not my favourite sounding head which is why I considered moving it on not long after purchase but reneged and pulled the 'feeler'. Still considering moving it on though as I am preferring the Eden parametric' option on the WT...... All in all an excellent head for an articulate Bass Player, which I am not ( playing wise of course)....

I have one of these wonderful things too.

It really lets the individual sound of a bass come through. Despite my increasing amp collection the Demeter is my main amp. It's light, very punchy and sounds great.

The only negative I have (and it's not really a negative at all) is that I would have liked the Treble Control to cut more, even in Dark mode - but that's only really because I have a habit of taking a Stingray5 (with rounds) to Jazz / Classical gigs when really a passive bass with flats and a neck pickup would be a far better choice!

So really the negative is of my own making, rather than anything to do with the amp! Funnily enough the 'problem' disappears when I use my TM5 or my Marleaux.

Maybe I should get another Ray5, a set of nice vintage pickups and buy a router!!! :crazy:

This is one of those rare amps where I keep thinking about selling off some of my others so I can get a spare Demeter.

If anyone is keeping score on the variety of cabs being used - I'm using it with a pair of Bergantino CN112 cabs, with the Tweeter OFF.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1430815093' post='2764705']

This is one of those rare amps where I keep thinking about selling off some of my others so I can get a spare Demeter.

[/quote]

I know someone who did this, bought one, liked it so much he promptly bought another so he'd have a pair to take on tour with him :)

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1430811431' post='2764664']
Thanks for the review, I've been admiring these and it's great to get some first-hand feedback on them :)

The power switch fault is worrying though, having it go once is unfortunate, but twice?! Pretty bad for such a premium amp IMO.

What's the repair turnaround time like - do they have to go back to the US each time?

molan: It would be interesting to know if this fault has been properly rectified for the next batch?
[/quote]

I now don't think it was the power switch, more likely a relay? It went to Bassgear's amp tech, not back to the US! And this is the only reported instance, so don't let that put you off.

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1430812585' post='2764675']
Is this the version with the DI?
[/quote]

Yes it is, but haven't tried it yet.

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1430816750' post='2764737']
Thanks for the review, looking forward to hearing this when you are out next with it.
[/quote]

I'll be sure to post here when I'm next playing locally.

Edited by JapanAxe

Welcome to the club ;)

I've been using one for about 18 months now - it hasn't missed a beat and just sounds so good! Yes, it's pretty clean, but there is a wonderful weight and clarity to every note. I have owned dozens of amps over the years, but this one beats them all.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1430844915' post='2765135']
Thank you for this review. No need for 800W for me but they are bringing out a 400W version. Seriously need for one of those!
[/quote]

I think it's a few months away yet. Final design stuff to be finalised yet but a lot of the core work is all done now :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1430861445' post='2765441']

I think it's a few months away yet. Final design stuff to be finalised yet but a lot of the core work is all done now :)
[/quote]

Thank you. Time for a bigger piggy bank then!

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1430844915' post='2765135']
Thank you for this review. No need for 800W for me but they are bringing out a 400W version. Seriously need for one of those!
[/quote]

Oh, bugger :D

The won't-switch-off fault has recently disappeared of its own accord, so while the Demeter is working properly I took the opportunity to gig it tonight - no point looking to fix a fault when it's working fine!

The gig was a party for students, parents, and staff at a nice secondary school, with a 6-piece function band. I chose to take just my Sandberg bass and Compact cab. This may have been a mistake, as they are both quite polite-sounding, and I had underestimated both the size of the hall and the loudness of the rest of the band (of which my bass was about the only thing not mic'd or DI'd). Although I would have been better off with the Midget as well, the Demeter/Compact rig gave plenty of volume. Any difficulty hearing myself was more to do with the mushy low-end-heavy sound coming out of the back of the guitarist's Peavey tranny amp (bleargh!) which was just in front of me on the drum riser, and the fact that said riser put the kit that much nearer to my left ear! I found myself pushing up the presence, to counteract the inherent softness of the Sandberg's sound (with Chrome flats that is).

Each gig or rehearsal is an opportunity for me to find out what combinations of bass and cab(s) work best with the Demeter, so this is all gravy. Next up is a country/Americana rehearsal in a village hall on Sunday. I'll be taking my Precision and both cabs, so if the Compact doesn't cut it I can add in the Midget. Bwahahahaaah!

Well I am happy to report that Precision>Demeter>Compact sounded great in a 7-piece Americana band. I had the Midget ready in my car boot but didn't need it. I was standing on the snare side of the kit, and the drummer complimented me on how clear the bass sound was from where he was sitting (i.e. quite a way off-axis). Result!