Why become a member? ×

New amp - Demeter VTBP-M-800D

JapanAxe

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1431285870' post='2769664']
Why should it even be a problem?
[/quote]

No problem.

After Friday night I was wondering which of my cabs would best partner the Demeter, as I think my Sandberg would definitely have benefitted from the extra something that a Midget brings to the party when used in combination with a Compact. All my basses sound different (despite all being strung with flats, ahem!), so I am taking the opportunity to try out as many combinations as possible. Next up is a rehearsal in a friend's biggish home studio: L1505>Demeter>Midget.

Edited by JapanAxe

• 2 months later...

The Demeter is very clean but very balanced ...so any bass that sounds good will work with this amp.
What might flag as a problem is your technique or cab choices...

I think the key to the amp is the bias switches and atm, the amp is running very clean through TKS S112's
which works really well. ...or even a touch too clean. I'll need to work on things a bit but fortunately
I'll only need to dull the 'clean' down if I 'prefer' a touch of grit rather than 'having' to.

But...the amp IS quality... I think as it stands at the moment I prefer the sound of the Tonehammer, and the Demeter
sits the other side of a DB750 which can also be a clean amp, but not overly so.

So DB is the default No 1 rig... and then the Demeter if only because of the headroom.. the TH will probably end up surplus
as I'll use the Demeter to practice and get to grips with.

Liking it so far... just needs more minutes on it.

Glad to hear you got a Demeter JTUK!

I have had a few more gigs and rehearsals with mine, and it has never failed to delight the ear. Most recently I have been playing and rehearsing with a 5-piece rock/pop covers band - Floyd, AC/DC, [i]Relax[/i], [i]Sledgehammer -[/i] and the members are all big fans of Toto. I took just the Midget to the rehearsals, and was complimented on the sound. For the gig (which was on an outdoor festival stage made from 3 flatbed trailers) I had the full BF stack. I took my Precision to the first rehearsal, but after that I switched to my L1505 for the extra range and aggressive sound. With the amp volume at noon, the onstage sound was epic. The drummer loved it - clear and loud, but not too loud, she said.

This was a public event, but I forgot to publicise it here - oops, my bad!

Yesterday I gigged my Sandberg through just the Midget. This was in the pit band for an amateur choir (electronic drums, bass, piano, keys, trumpet, 3 woodwind), so I had to be loud enough to be heard without drowning out the un-mic'd singers. Even though I was standing/sitting next to my amp, the sound was both rich and clear. I played their show last Christmas using the same setup except for my Streamliner, and the Demeter is so much clearer.

Next gig is with a Dire Straits tribute band. John Illsley used all sorts of basses with Dire Straits, and the regular tribute guy plays a Lakland 5-er; as the set list is weighted towards the earlier material, I am taking my '73 P (with the Mustang as backup). Sadly for BC-ers this is a private do, but I will report back how I got on, and also list the celebrities in attendance!

Full disclosure continued - the no-switch-off fault came back, so the amp has been back to Bassgear's tech, who contacted James Demeter to agree a solution. Now fixed, and confident it will stay that way! And this is still the only reported instance.

Edited by JapanAxe

• 2 months later...

Well I did report back on the Dire Straits tribute gig, but I put it [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/7919-how-was-your-gig-last-night/page__view__findpost__p__2840025"]here[/url] in How Was Your Gig Last Night.

Celebs in attendance: Chris Tarrant, Fiona Fullerton. I can add these to my previous roster of Vic Reeves, Ronnie Ancona, and Christopher Biggins. And Timmy Mallett.