Why become a member? ×

Slapping Acoustic's?!?!?

thumb4bob

Ive searched far and wide for an acoustic bass that you can slap, i mean obviously you CAN slap any bass but I mean one that you'd actually want to. Both feel - wise and tone - wise. Don't know if this is just me but I always find the soundhole gets in the way of where i'd normally rest my right hand, which is why i was thinking of something like warwick alien with a crazy soundhole. I think the fender vic bailey is supposed to have a good slap sound, hmmmmm. Well I was just wondering if anyone had ever owned an acoustic bass they liked for slap stuff so they could point me in the right direction. Anyone??????

[quote name='thumb4bob' post='27922' date='Jul 6 2007, 02:13 PM']Ive searched far and wide for an acoustic bass that you can slap, i mean obviously you CAN slap any bass but I mean one that you'd actually want to. Both feel - wise and tone - wise. Don't know if this is just me but I always find the soundhole gets in the way of where i'd normally rest my right hand, which is why i was thinking of something like warwick alien with a crazy soundhole. I think the fender vic bailey is supposed to have a good slap sound, hmmmmm. Well I was just wondering if anyone had ever owned an acoustic bass they liked for slap stuff so they could point me in the right direction. Anyone??????[/quote]

I was going to suggest the Washburn AB10 I have up for sale, but while it has slots instead of a soundhole and has been set up with Rotosound 30-90 stainless strings, the shape of the fingerboard isn't ideal for slap :)

If you're local to Northampton you're welcome to pop round and try it though :huh:

[quote name='thumb4bob' post='28046' date='Jul 6 2007, 07:20 PM']thanks burpster but I have a rather deep and passoinate hatred for motley crue so im not sure I could bring myself to use an instrument asociated with nikki, cheers anyway[/quote]

Thumbob.

If you checkoput the webby you'll find the other versions of the same guitar and only one bears his signature paint job. Bit like a Frank Bello MIM P bass. Lots and lots of other MIM P basses..... Your not going to say they are all bad because of the Bello signature now are you?

I shouldnt write it off until you've at least seen it. Better still played one......!

Big bob.

Not totally an acoustic bass, but sounds like one... I recently had the pleasure of Jonas Hellborg showing me his Warwick signature bass. He slaps like a monster!

The Ovation B778 is ideal for what you want..... its pretty (avaialable in black or natural....yummy) and is the version on which the NS version is based. It is what I'll get if I get another (its a massive improvement on the Celebrity that I did have)

You may need to contact JHS (the Ovation importers to see if they have one, as they are not common!) link details below.....

[url="http://www.jhs.co.uk/contact.htm"]http://www.jhs.co.uk/contact.htm[/url]

PS I found them great when I've spoken to them!