Why become a member? ×

What is this Atlansia thing?

Annoying Twit

Looks like Mr. Noble's take on a Chapman Stick. Seems that the pickup can be slid (slided? slidden?) anywhere you want -

[url="https://www.facebook.com/334082209985909/photos/a.342059922521471.77637.334082209985909/800729333321192/?type=1"]https://www.facebook...3321192/?type=1[/url]

I love the way Atlansia work. They may not always get it right but they are continually pushing the boundaries of what is possible with stringed amplified musical instruments.

It's certainly a lot more interesting than yet another P or J bass copy.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1430818304' post='2764757']
I love the way Atlansia work. They may not always get it right but they are continually pushing the boundaries of what is possible with stringed amplified musical instruments.

It's certainly a lot more interesting than yet another P or J bass copy.
[/quote]

+1

I've lusted after their basses for years. I wish I could try their basses. I would LOVE to own a few.

Nice to see that one of Matsumoku's old engineers is still creating basses...

"Design engineer Nobuaki Hayashi (currently with Atlansia) became part of Matsumoku's engineering team in the mid-1970s. Hayashi's pseudonym, "H. Noble", appeared on many of the Aria Pro II instruments he designed. Aria's guitars that followed showed remarkable design innovation and a definitive move away from Gibson and Fender forms. Hayashi is best known as the designer of the Aria Pro II, SB-1000 bass and the Aria Pro II, PE series guitars." (from the Wikipedia entry for Matsumoku).

There are some very interesting instruments being created by Atlansia. (BigRedX, did you find a buyer for your solitaire?). However, while I like the idea of a stick style instrument, I'm not convinced by the method of holding the pickup in place for this one. But, as mentioned, it's good that he's trying different things.

EDIT: One problem would be that if you move the pickup from 'upstream' to 'downstream', then it'll be held way off the strings at any position except for the two extremes. But, perhaps with the movement allowed by the sliding thing where the pickup attaches, perhaps that's all the 'top' adjustment that is necessary.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1430825126' post='2764856']
There are some very interesting instruments being created by Atlansia. (BigRedX, did you find a buyer for your solitaire?). However, while I like the idea of a stick style instrument, I'm not convinced by the method of holding the pickup in place for this one. But, as mentioned, it's good that he's trying different things.

EDIT: One problem would be that if you move the pickup from 'upstream' to 'downstream', then it'll be held way off the strings at any position except for the two extremes. But, perhaps with the movement allowed by the sliding thing where the pickup attaches, perhaps that's all the 'top' adjustment that is necessary.
[/quote]

Yes the Solitaire has been moved on to someone who is intending to use it in a bass and drums "Royal Blood" type duo. I've asked the buyer to let me know what he's doing with it as that should be interesting!

The way I see the pickup on this instrument working is that it slides back and forth on the rails below the "neck" but the arms allow two different starting positions. From my ownership of various less conventional instruments I've found that a lot of these devices don't really make full sense until you are actually playing the instrument in question.

Also many of the ideas that Atlasia showcases on their Facebook page don't actually make it onto production instruments until they've gone through a lot more development and refinement. I expect that this is a starting point to test some ideas and if it ever surfaces on a instrument that is for sale will be a lot more elegant.