Why become a member? ×

One for the MIJ Fender Jazz experts!

TomWIC

Back in December I acquired a gorgeous MusicMan Stingray 3EQ that I instantly fell in love with, but after getting so used to a jazz neck profile in the year or so before, switching to a precision width neck really did my wrist in, and effectively gave me RSI. Pain started out in the wrist, shot up my arm and then ended up doing both my neck and shoulder in.

As much as I love the Musicman, I've agreed a trade with a gentleman who contacted me via Facebook for a MIJ Fender Jazz, modded with Bartolini pickups. A Jazz Deluxe was my second choice when I was hunting for the MusicMan and this seems like a great deal to me (a trade of basses and a decent cash adjustment my way).

Unfortunately, I don't know a huge amount about Japanese Fenders and with the seller's permission, I've uploaded the photos he's provided just to make sure all is okay with it before I meet up with him tonight for the trade. I've already verified the serial number online that says the bass was indeed made in Japan between 1993 and 1994, but if anyone can share any advice or "gotchas" I'd really appreciate the assistance.

Nothing looks out of order from the photos. If you want to be certain then take the neck off and check the stamps on the back on the neck and neck pocket. The thing that would put me off is the hole cut into the back with for the active pickups

Looks pretty much exactly like a MIJ '75 Reissue I used to have, without the battery compartment obviously (based on my memory of it!)

Seems a shame with the Stingray though if you love the looks. No way of modifying your playing style or the bass height to get to something that's comfortable?

Generally CIJ/MIJ Fenders have excellent build quality, but many people regard the pickups as being the weak link. The fact that these have been replaced (whether "upgraded" or not depends on your own personal preference for pickup manufacturers...) should mean that you have a great bass with great pickups. Price-wise, I'm not sure the J would be worth quite as much as your 'Ray though ;)

[quote name='inate_hex' timestamp='1430833372' post='2764990']
Have you tried a musicman Sterling? All the musicman goodness but with a jazz width neck.
[/quote]

A Sterling was one of my lines of enquiries but I haven't found one nearby unfortunately.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1430833998' post='2765001']
Generally CIJ/MIJ Fenders have excellent build quality, but many people regard the pickups as being the weak link. The fact that these have been replaced (whether "upgraded" or not depends on your own personal preference for pickup manufacturers...) should mean that you have a great bass with great pickups. Price-wise, I'm not sure the J would be worth quite as much as your 'Ray though ;)
[/quote]

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1430834896' post='2765017']
I think you should be getting a US Fender Jazz for the trade value of your Musicman.
[/quote]

There's a cash adjustment of £150 coming my way on top of the trade as well to even out against my asking price, which I found to be pretty fair.

[quote name='TomWIC' timestamp='1430835655' post='2765025']

There's a cash adjustment of £150 coming my way on top of the trade as well to even out against my asking price, which I found to be pretty fair.
[/quote]

Im not sure how much Stingrays go for but that sounds like too little coming your way. I don't think Id pay more than 500 for the Jazz. Aimho

[quote name='Kempy535' timestamp='1430837442' post='2765038']I don't think Id pay more than 500 for the Jazz.
[/quote]It has Bartolini pickups remember - that would add a bit to the value (assuming you like those pickups of course!) :) But yes, I think the current J owner would be getting the better of this deal.

Edited by Conan

Two questions are which bart's are in it? and what preamp is it? Then the biggest question is how does it play. IME a jazz either just feels right or there's something not quite right as i'm sure you know. I'd definitely try and get a bit more cash coming your way.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been over a week since I did the trade now, and while I may not have ended up with the "better" of the two basses, the Jazz is infinitely more comfortable for me to play, I'm having a lot more fun with it because it doesn't feel like I'm battling with it anymore. The tone still has enough of the clank I was looking for in the MusicMan, but not quite as pronounced which is sitting a bit better in the mix now. Overall, I'm pretty happy.

The only thing that's irritating me is the white pick guard. I've been desperately looking for a black one but can't seem to find one that fits correctly anywhere. Any ideas other than getting one made up?

[quote name='TomWIC' timestamp='1431938526' post='2776277']
The only thing that's irritating me is the white pick guard. I've been desperately looking for a black one but can't seem to find one that fits correctly anywhere. Any ideas other than getting one made up?
[/quote]Not all Fenders are created equal - and one of the most frustrating inconsistencies is when it comes to the scratchplates... You could try ten different ones and none of them would fit! :rolleyes: To be sure of a good fit, I would get one made up ;)