Why become a member? ×

Good cheap octave pedal

MarkG3

So what is a good inexpensive octave pedal? I have a Ehx micro pog but I don't like the octave down sound, it sounds like I'm playing through a sock. Octave up is great though.

So what's good, cheap and tracks the best for not a lot of £££? Only looking for 1 octave down, no dry sound and that can handle a bass big muff too

Thanks

Edited by Mark_88MPH

EHX Octave Multiplexer can be had for £47 new: http://www.juno.co.uk/products/electro-harmonix-octave-multiplexer-analog-sub-octave/560441-01

Otherwise you're looking at a used Boss OC-2, Pearl Octaver (if you can find one) or MXR Bass Octave Deluxe.

Thanks, how about this? http://www.juno.co.uk/products/behringer-so400-super-octaver-ultimate-octaver-effects-pedal/493816-01/

I've read that the Digitech Synth wah always has the dry signal in the octave mode which I just want to octave down sound

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1430819944' post='2764776']
Digitech Bass Synth Wah has a good octave down ( better than the synth!)
[/quote]

It can't do a solo octave though (OP stated no dry signal)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1430820455' post='2764780']
I believe the Zoom MS-60B gets praise for its octaver, let alone anything else it can do, and costs the same as a stand alone pedal.
[/quote]

It is a bargainous unit (the B1on doubly so) but there is a slight delay between what you play and the octave coming through which is enough to put me off using the Zoom as an octaver full stop.

[quote name='Mark_88MPH' timestamp='1430821513' post='2764805']
Thanks, how about this? http://www.juno.co.uk/products/behringer-so400-super-octaver-ultimate-octaver-effects-pedal/493816-01/
[/quote]

Looks like a Boss OC-3 clone. Never used one, they get mixed reviews so try searching to see what the verdict is!

Ok so I tried out 3 pedals,

Ehx Octave multiplexer

Mooer Octave

Modtone Deep Dive Octave

The mooer was shockingly bad, loads of options but none sounded anything like I need.

The modtone was a step up from the mooer but still was glitching everywhere

The ehx was sadly a bit of a let down, it too glitched a lot and got pretty muddy.

I'll take a shot with the Chord oc-50

Edited by Mark_88MPH

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1430822083' post='2764816']
It can't do a solo octave though (OP stated no dry signal)

It is a bargainous unit (the B1on doubly so) but there is a slight delay between what you play and the octave coming through which is enough to put me off using the Zoom as an octaver full stop.
[/quote]

Sorry, I missed that bit about the no dry signal. I agree with you about the octave on the ms60b, I think the pitch shifter is more convincing than the bass octave but neither is great.

The EBS is a great octave pedal, but not cheap even second hand..

Yup, the Octoplus is a really good sounding pedal, and as you mention......cheap.
It's not as subby as the OC-2, although it certainly does a good impression of it. For me, it kinda comes down to the bad DOD footswitches of that era. If you're very considered and only use it a few times in a set, then sure. However if you want to stomp on it and use it a lot......it's going to let you down WAY before the OC-2 will :).

I've not tried the OC-2 clones like the Chord etc, however if Spencer at 3Leaf can't entirely nail the OC-2 tone (again the Octabvre is less subby), then I'm guessing Chord can't ;)

But, if an Octoplus costs you £40....I'd still pay £20 more and get an OC-2

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1430999376' post='2766705']
But, if an Octoplus costs you £40....I'd still pay £20 more and get an OC-2
[/quote]

yes sir - good as the octoplus was, the only octave I have kept out of octoplus, OC-2 and pearl OC-07 is the OC-2 :)

Hopefully the chord will arrive tomorrow, I'll say how I get on with it. If it's no good then I'll check out the others mentioned :) I briefly had an oc-2 before but sold it on as at the time I wasn't playing much

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1430818557' post='2764763']
EHX Octave Multiplexer can be had for £47 new: http://www.juno.co.uk/products/electro-harmonix-octave-multiplexer-analog-sub-octave/560441-01

Otherwise you're looking at a used Boss OC-2, Pearl Octaver (if you can find one) or MXR Bass Octave Deluxe.
[/quote]

I use the MXR deluxe. I find it gives my guitarist a thick strong foundation to solo on top of. I provide that foundation by playing in closed position up in the 12th fret region. I don't think many of the octave pedals track on open strings or in the lower positions very well.

Blue

Edited by blue

So I got the Chord, sadly it's bad news. It hardly tracked at all and when it did it was glitching badly. I think I'll stick with the POG for now.

When the pog is engaged with the big muff it seems to lose some definition in terms of the top end fuzz. How could I give it a bit more top end but still with only one signal and not effecting the fuzz tone without the octave?

I've got an eq pedal and a tuner with output and bypass, is there anything I can do so when I engage the pog it has say the eq pedal already on?

Hope that makes some sense lol

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1431118471' post='2768058']
There is a scottish custom pedal group who make a stonking OC-2 clone, but for the life of me can't remember what they or it is called...

Will post back if I ever remember!

EDIT: GojiraFX, that's them!
[/quote]

Not tried the Gojira, seems alright, probably based on the Pearl OC-02 (low and high octave), so not quite an OC-2 clone. I considered one just for the up octave, but think I'll wait for the POG Nano.
OC-2 destroys the POG on low end :)

Si

I tried watching the video but the sound was so quiet that I couldn't make anything out.

Just thought of a way to solve my problem....

Bass into Micro Pog, then a lead from the effect only split to two, one goes to the EQ pedal and the other say to the big muff then another 2-1 splitter?