Why become a member? ×

Twist or stick? Advice needed

CokeyW

Hi,

I've accumulated a few half decent basses over the years and currently own a Lakland DJ4 with a J East preamp, an American Special Precision, a German-made Warwick Fortress and Squier Vintage Modified Jazz fretless. I also have a Strat, a Gibson Les Paul and an ES 137, even though I'm no guitarist.

I like all of the basses and they're good at what they do but I have 'if only's' with all of them.

If I had a big sell off I could go out and spend £2k or so on a hand made bass from another BC'er or Bass Direct or the Gallery or Lounge and then maybe I could focus on just the one quality instrument.

So...
Does that make sense?
Have any of you gone down this route, and how did it go? I don't want to be endlessly trading, that's not my thing
Are these boutique basses truly much better or have I already hit the point of diminishing returns?

If I decide to do this I'll be trying out a lot of basses before buying but any practical advice and opinions or examples from anyone who's actually done already this would be helpful before I start.

Colin

Do you know what you really want in a bass ? What is lacking in each one ? If you are able to make sense of this, you will be in a better position.

I think a lot of people he gone the custom route without really knowing what they want and sold soon after, the amount of 2nd hand customs in the Market Place is evidence of his.

As ever with this question everyone is different...

It would be difficult to replace all of the core tones you currently have with the Lakland, P, Fretless Jazz and the Warwick with a single bass.

Personally I have gone down the one bass route (well two including a fretless), but that's because I have tried just about everything out there and I know exactly what I want... unless you know the specific instrument you want I'd maybe keep hold of what you have.

Edited by CamdenRob
  • Like 1

I'm know I'm basically looking for a Jazz tone, maybe a PJ? The Precision I bought on a whim and the Fortress is a little too growly for me even though it plays like butter. My current go to is the Lakland which is very flexible having the J East preamp.

FWIW my rig is all Markbass, an F1 head into two NY804 cabs.

I'm know I'm basically looking for a Jazz tone, maybe a PJ? The Precision I bought on a whim and the Fortress is a little too growly for me even though it plays like butter. My current go to is the Lakland which is very flexible having the J East preamp.

[quote name='CokeyW' timestamp='1430829364' post='2764940']

[/quote]

Well there is certainly alot of custom builders going for the super jazz vibe so you could maybe take a look at them. IMO though the super jazz market is concentrating on improvemenets in aesthetics and playability over the Fender standard rather than an improvement in tone so much...

A lot of markbass users go for a more modern sound, bright and punchy as opposed to soft and warm. Don't know if your typical but an active preamp / pickups would accentuate this.

Edited by CamdenRob

Thanks Rob.
So, in your experience it has been worth it in terms of playability and to a lesser extent, aesthetics. And fretless aside you have just the one bass. I'm looking more for better playability than improved tone so that's interesting.
Has anyone gone more expensive and not seen much difference compared to what you were already playing?

I had an Overwater Progress 3 Deluxe which costs about 3 grand new now. It wasn't my custom bass I had it 2nd hand. The quality was outstanding but in the end I would rather have a couple of good basses than one excellent. So I sold it.

I reckon having a few good ones is more fun than having one excellent/expensive one. It means you have backups, different sounds, ones you don't worry about playing in a rough pub etc........

Remember though, good doesn't necessarily mean expensive.

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='CokeyW' timestamp='1430854394' post='2765324']
Thanks Machines.....what do you have now?
[/quote]

I've been through alot, but my Lakland Skyline 55-60 is never leaving. Others are a Mexican Precision, Korean Warwick and Indonesian Spector. These are good, but not necessarily forever.

[quote name='CokeyW' timestamp='1430897643' post='2765588']
I was expecting lots of people to reply that expensive basses were well worth the extra but, as Machines said, you do see a lot of them for sale here on BC.
[/quote]

Yes the "expensive must be better" thing is definitely untrue.

I personally play Wal basses as they are the instrument that I feel works best for the tone I am trying to achieve, I cannot get that tone from anything other than a Wal. So as that's what I want I have no choice but to order one for myself. The point here is that I don't feel what I want is available anywhere else.

If you're just looking for something "better" then obviously everything from tone to aesthetics is subjective... hence you'll see many "dream basses" up for sale a few months later when the owners tastes have changed.

I would say there is no point whatsoever in going custom if you can get what you want off the shelf.

Edited by CamdenRob

Other than wood choices or neck profiles etc, I don't think many custom builders offer much you can't get from the big companies with careful consideration (in terms of sound at least). I think 'handmade' is over hyped, to me it just means it took longer and hence cost more.

Technology does indeed save money, and i'd say a PLEK machine is more precise than a luthier. The difference is on quality control of mass producers, not the technology. When you find a big maker than has high QC (cough Lakland cough) then there is nothing better than a very well made bass at a reasonable price.

I've started moving away from the US made principle as some of what coming out of the far east at the moment is as good in quality but a lot cheaper. Other examples are G&L Tribute, Squier, Sterling by Musicman etc.

This is very helpful, thanks.
Rather than custom order I think I'm going to try some 'name' off the shelf basses such as Roscoe, Mike Lull etc and then decide whether the playability/tone/flexibility is worth the extra over what I already have, particularly the cough Lakland cough! I'm starting to suspect the difference may be minimal, especially if I can find decent local luthier for setups.
Aesthetics wise I think there any number of fabulous looking basses out there for sale anyway.

A well set up 'entry level' bass can change it from an 'adequate' bass to the 'go to' instrument. Do you have a particular sound in mind? Are you looking to emulate another player's tone? If so, then I'd look at what sort of bass they use.

Absolutely agree good does not necessarily mean expensive. My most expensive bass is a custom ACG fretless that cost many, many hundred pounds less than a Fender custom shop jazz (for example). I will not be parting with it either :)

Good stuff, thanks. I think my eyes are more open going into it now? Something's going to have to blow me away when I play it.
Does anyone know of a quality bass magician/luthier working in the West Mids area?

Jaydee - [url="http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/repair_service.html"]http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/repair_service.html[/url]

Joe at Guitar Spares & Repairs - [url="http://www.guitarrepairsbirmingham.co.uk/"]http://www.guitarrepairsbirmingham.co.uk/[/url]

Hello everyone

In my opinion route for a custom bass don't have to do just about tone.. at least for me. There could be other aspects to have in consideration.
For example in my case, e sold my G&L an dmy ATK, not because the sound (which i love both), but because of the weight, the G&L weights 10.5lb and the atk 11lb.

Because i suffer from back issues i needed to go for a lighter instument or stop play. so i went for the fist option, sold both and gon for a custom made maruszczyk, that now weight just 8lb and is much more confortable to play and even more balance in weight.

That weight with the addicion of a padded 3.5inch strap, it simply like a feather, and my "impression" that it just don't exist any instrument there ;)

As Machines says, you really have to know what you want from a bass
And I suspect. like many of us, there is not really One bass that does everything you want in one instrument
This may be because you are also playing different styles of music, or are after different sounds,
or a different "feel" when playing.....

I'd just say, before you sell anything, then later maybe regret it!
Make yourself a list of what you want from that "one bass"
Try as many as you can, to find out exactly what the ideals are
and what compromises you may need to make, and whether those compromises can be overcome, or lived with....

For me, my RW Jazz is the best I've played, in most respects
Although, if I'm honest, I sometimes wish it had a P/J pickup arrangement ;)

I've got a couple of P/J's (a Squier and a bitsa) and I wish my US Precision had the pickups from my Bitsa lol
However, I can live with things the way they are, and generally get pretty much what I want from each bass
when I choose which one to play (which will also depend on which band I'm with... groan!)

A custom build might be a way forward, but you're going to have to be really careful with your specifications
perhaps someone like Mark at Limelight would do a P/J custom build?
You specify the neck profile, body etc - but maybe a very light relic (if you don't like relics too much)

If your P plays like butter, and you really like it, maybe you could get a professional job done
to add the J pickup? - I think that's what I'd be tempted to do, I must say

Don't see this as a "task" as such - but as an exciting journey! lol
I stumbled across my RW Jazz, and I only did this because I wanted a bass with a "vintage" look & sound
for a particular band / project - I tried several basses, and the Jazz hit all the buttons
and I'm so pleased I tried a bass I would never have done, were it not for that band...

Enjoy your quest :)
and let us know how you get on

Cheers
Marc

Edited by Marc S

Second a lot of what has been said above. My extra thought would be, if your Warwick Fortress plays like butter but has too much growl, and you're after a J tone, why not have an experiment with some different pickups/strings. If the tone is what you're after and have basses you like to play, before you go down the route of selling and buying, just have a play of some other basses to get an idea of what tone you're after, then try some pickups in that style. Worst that can happen, you lose the money for paying someone to fit them / take them off if you don't like them, and then keep them as spares, or sell them second hand. I'd bet you'd lose far less money going down that route (especially with 2nd hand prices at the moment), than selling everything and getting a bass that you fall out of love with.

• Like 1

Interesting thoughts.
I'm definitely going to try out a lot of basses before selling anything. If I find my dream bass then I'm able to buy it before I sell (but have to remember to actually do the 'sell' bit!!). I don't think I'm going to go down the custom build route but I am interested in trying the basses from such makers that are in stock at somewhere like Bass Direct to see if their better playability strikes me.
BTW I would like to try a RW Jazz as they get such good press here but I do appreciate the comment that you sometimes think it could sound better as a PJ.