Why become a member? ×

LTD (ESP) Vintage 214 fretless bass

lou24d53

I'm thinking about looking for a cheap fretless to mess around with at home, not wanting to spend a whole heap of cash on anything and been looking around at the obvious Squier and Vintage models.

Just wondering, has anyone had any experience of these? They any good for a starter model?

[url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/ltd-esp-vintage-214-fretless-bass/1114235720"]http://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/ltd-esp-vintage-214-fretless-bass/1114235720[/url]

Not interested at that price quoted since you can buy a brand new one for £25 extra off GAK, but I hadn't actually considered these as a possibility until I saw this advertised.

Edited by lou24d53

I've owned one and I couldn't fault it (also had a fretted version a few years ago). I do think unmarked fingerboards look nicer and there were no issues with unwanted buzz across all four strings, even at the 'dusty' end. I bought mine from Gear4Music and it came setup to my liking out of the box - low enough for the 'mwah' sound. The hardware was good - tuners did what they were supposed to and operated smoothly, holding tuning. Nice chunky high mass bridge. The pickups were good too - the P sounded as you'd expect and the J did the expected burpy stuff if you're so inclined. Tone control made a noticeable top end cut - my favourite sound was with the P up full, J rolled off a little and the tone knocked down halfway.

I sold it a few months ago during a monstrous clearout, but if I was in the market for another affordable fretless to embarrass myself again, I'd happily have another.