Why become a member? ×

SOLD Fender Jazz Bass Special, modded to active £375
£375

Paul S

As part of my on-going gear re-shuffle this beauty is next for the chop.

1985/6 MIJ Jazz Bass Special in black with black hardware, black neck and headstock. It is very black. Precision shaped body with a Jazz width neck - slim and shallow. P/J pickups.

At some point before I got it the electrics had been completely changed - it now boasts Bartolini pickups and a Bartolini on board 3 band preamp. Nice. Pickups are switchable via toggle to front, blend, back. So, for all intents and purposes it is a Power Jazz Bass Special, except with a 'regular' 3 band eq, as opposed to the parametric sweep doodah and rather odd boost toggle thing. Pull a knob (forget which just at this precise moment - treble, possibly) and it returns to passive with a passive tone control (and which is redundant when active). Although, frankly, it has such a huge sound when active I can only imagine this being useful for a 'get out of jail free' if the battery packs up. Also sporting an after-market Schaller bridge - incredibly versatile bit of kit is is too.

Weighs 9.5lbs, a tad too heavy for me. 38mm at the nut, pretty good nick for a 30 yr old bass, most of the wear is on the back.

Sounds huge (did I say that already?), great tones available. P pup sounds like a P bass, J like a J. I particularly like the blend of P/J.

I am asking a ridiculous £375, collected from SS7 on the north Thames Delta. £400 via fully insured overnight courier - no hard case but well packaged. Or meet half way/deliver for fuel within a reasonable distance.

Edited by Paul S

Just seen your extra question - the serial number is on the neck plate, there's nothing sinister going on. A030196, which throws up this answer in the Guitar Dater project:

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] [color=#000000]Your guitar was made at the [/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan
in the Year(s): 1985 - 1986[/color][color=#000000] [/color][/font][/size]

I welcome any trial on this - if anyone wants to try before they buy that is extremely possible.

I'd love to trade this for a Fender JB 62M medium scale jazz bass in black or white with cash your way, in case anyone has one.