Why become a member? ×

Slimming down a Shergold replacement neck

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1432508934' post='2782242']

Interesting thought - it's possible - But I'd imagine it's just the standard size they drilled all the tuner holes to, to fit their biggest tuner - and all the smaller ones with the generous bushings covering the gap!
[/quote]
Yes - I think it's the most likely reason.

Incidentally, I'll post a few photos later today. I'm on the final varnish coats...it's looking good :)

This is pretty much done.

The satin varnish has deepened the stain colour in a pleasing way - no where near as warm orange as the original (which is lovely) but pretty reasonable for a new neck trying not to look it:

I popped the bushes in and fitted the tuners:

One of the last jobs was to drill the fixing holes. This is always a bit tricky if you don't have the body, but Paul hadn't done it before and I figured the risk of trying it for the first time was probably higher than someone whose done it a number of times doing it 'blind'. It does need special care, mind you.

How I did it was first to build a template 'neck pocket' that fitted the old neck:

Then check the fit of the new neck...spot on!

Next was to cut out a card template and find the old neck screw holes:

Use this to mark and drill the holes in the dummy neck pocket:

Then double check with the old neck that the holes line up exactly by putting the neck into the dummy pocket and pushing a spike through into the neck screwholes:

Then put the new neck into the dummy pocket and drill the pilot holes. Finally, add a bit of soap to the screws and cut the thread:

Why, you may ask, is there a 5th hole? Well, after all that care, I still managed to get the first pilot hole in the wrong place... :rolleyes: No matter...it's far enough away from the others to be of no concern (phew!)

I fitted a nut and, well, sort of done! :D

OK - finally, finally finished :D

I was doing the final checks and realised that the frets - straight with my initial quick check - in fact weren't terrible level at all. I used my 'crimson guitars' rocker and realised that there was unevenness on quite a few frets down the length of the frets. This is usually where the frets have been hammered rather than pressed in, and hammered without a caul (shaped block). It was a nice morning so I spent an hour over a couple of cups of coffee on the patio, levelling, recrowning and polishing them.

For a 'light' job like this, my favoured leveller is this small diamond block:

For the bigger jobs, I use a full length straight beam with sandpaper stuck on, but that can be a bit harsh and less easy to control for a smaller job like this.

The other thing I do for light crowning, is use the crowning file as a former for fine wet ' dry rather than using the file's actual teeth:

Again, if there is not a lot of material to remove, this is a lighter treatment and less likely to overdo it or leave difficult-to-remove file ripples.

I start with 600 grit, then 1000, then 2000 and finally with 12000 grit micro-web. On a 6-string, because of the bending, I then finish the very top of the crown to a mirror finish with a japanese water-stone, but it really isn't necessary for a bass:

So here it is, finished and ready to ship back to Paul with it's original partner :D

As always, thanks for looking, folks, and thanks for the very encouraging feedback :D

Andy

Edited by Andyjr1515

Hi Ricky

I believe the Shergold/Hayman are both an exact fit - see post #2 in this thread. The neck on mine was a Hayman neck.

If you join up on the Shergold forum [url="http://www.shergold.co.uk/forum/index.php"]http://www.shergold.co.uk/forum/index.php[/url] and get in touch with a chap username 'Bloodaxe' on there - he had a very few nos necks. I think mine may have been the last of the fretted ones, I am not sure.

[quote name='hayman1010' timestamp='1432898736' post='2786004']
Hi there, I have a Hayman 4040 with a neck pocket of about 57mm dont suppose you came across a neck that would slot straight in? Thought I'd ask as the Shergold & Hayman bodies are basically the same.

Ricky.
[/quote]
Hi, Ricky

The neck pockets are, of course, usually tapered. Just measured Paul's original neck and it tapers from 56.25 mm where the body joins the neck, to 58 mm at the far dusty end.

Not sure where Paul sourced his replacement but am sure he will pick up the thread.
Andy

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1433862475' post='2794646']
And here it is, now fitted on the bass. Andy - you are a genius.

[attachment=193940:marathonnewneck1.jpg]
[/quote]
It looks great, Paul. I'm really pleased :)

Oh, and yes...the Luminlay charging torch will be in the post first thing :blush: :lol:

Andy