Why become a member? ×

Need a new amp urgently! Recommendations please!

My Schertler Unico appears to have well and truly died - New correct fuse fitted, but the amp is now popping, crackling, and emitting a strong, burning smell :(

I may get it looked at for repair, but I have a crazy busy month of gigs and desperately need a replacement combo amp ASAP!

I have a Wilson K4 pickup on my Wesbury bass, going into a Radial Tonebone PZ-Pre preamp, on which I prefer to use the XLR out, so I ideally need an amp with an XLR input or two.

I need a combo amp that's powerful, reliable, and obviously has a great acoustic tone etc. Please post links to any recommendations or amps you use.

Thanks in advance!

Henry

Edited by henrywillard

Rather than try and get something serious in a hurry, maybe get one of the new TC208 combos or the newer (cheaper) GK1x12's. It won't be fantastic, but you can get one quick and may be surprised how well they work. And it always good to have a spare amp option.

[quote name='AndyBass' timestamp='1430938395' post='2766194']
I'm selling a Genz Benz STL3.0-10T if that's of any help/interest. Apologies for the shameless plug but it did seem relevant :)
[/quote]

That is a very nice combo!

I've got a little used Acoustic Image Ten2 Combo that I might let go. Comes with the gig bag.

Also a PJB Superflightcase but that doesn't have XLR input.

I use a Wilson K4 on my Clifton bass straight into both amps, sounds great without any external pre amp

Edited by Mr Bassman

The genz is well decent, the AI is a belter. Both great combos. I used to have the genz 3-10 and liked it, but it's really little more than a stage monitor if you play with people who plug in. Great for acoustic bands though. The AI ten2 is what I have now and I love it, although at times I just go straight in the PA with Ehrlund+preamp and I don't even bother taking it along.

Thank you very, very much for all the advice, and also for some of the very kind offers.
I have decided to go 'all-out' and have secured an AI Ten2 Plus from AI Europe. Needed something powerful that was going to get me straight back in action.

In the mean-time I have tried contacting Schertler UK in Shropshire to see how I may go about getting my Unico repaired, but after leaving a message yesterday morning and requesting a call back, I am still yet to hear from them...

Good on you Henry.
As for Schertler, they have a fabulous customer service, I have contacted them about my Dyn-b and they could not be more helpful. I did however contact the main office, in Switzerland I believe? Have you tried them?