Why become a member? ×

Blues Deluxe or AC30 (VR)?

Muppet

I have a Blues Deluxe Reissue at the moment and I'm ok with it - it's not blowing my socks off but coupled with my TC Nova System it's reasonable. I'm playing the usual suspects through it, tele, strat and LP.

I have always loved the AC30 sound however and was wondering about the VR model as a replacement as I could ditch the pedal and rely on the reverb and overdrive on the amp - the Fender's drive channel is poor in my opinion.

I can't justify the expense of a custom/C2 so this would probably be a zero cost change. Anyone got a view as to whether I'm better off persevering with the Fender?

cheers

Steve

Ive had both amps in question and for me the 30VR wasn't loud enough for my rock/blues band, if your happy mic'ing then id say got for it because it does sound great.

I personally like the drive channel on the Deluxe, the VR will give you more modern gain tones.

Hope this helps

Thanks for that. I think I was a little harsh with criticising the Fender drive channel - it's just that it's even when on full it's still a subtle drive and I was hoping for a bit more - that's what I use the nova system for. I guess I could just drive the thing harder in the first place but I do play at relatively low volumes so don't often get the opportunity as I'm not playing loud rock.

If your not after a loud gigging amp then Id definitely say try a VR out they do sound good. The only other issue I found was the drive channel was substantially quieter than the clean channel, its not uncommon but I found it further apart here than with any other amp.

For the £365 odd you'd be looking to spend on an ac30vr you could easily pick up a s/h ac15c1, or cc1, but better still hold out for a c1x or cc1x with the celestion blue. (I'd avoid anything with a Wharfdale in it like the plague!) If you're not after mega volume a 15 should be fine.
I had a 1964 AC30, which though absolutely glorious, needed too much cranking for home use, and whilst not handwired and not quite so dangerous smelling as my ac30vr, my current ac15cc1x is much more usable and still has THAT tone.
I've also owned, & still miss, a Blues Deluxe & can relate to your doesn't really drive issue. I now have a 65 Deluxe Reverb, still a bit on the loud side for home use, but have got the Fender cranked tone courtesy of a Catalinbread Formula 5 pedal, modelled on old tweed circuits. Might be worth checking out?