Why become a member? ×

Help a new startup

rob.mayzes

Hi everyone,

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place - please feel free to move it mods.

I'm launching a new startup targeted at musicians, and in order to make sure I am building something that people want, I need to talk to as many people as possible. It will just be a quick 5-10 minute phone call, more of an open ended discussion.

If you're interested please drop me a PM. Consider it your good deed for the day :)

In return I can offer help in any way I can, will be eternally grateful and can offer you some perks when we eventually launch.

Thank you!!

Edited by rob.mayzes

If I can offer a suggestion, to make things easier both for you and for your potential interviewees, you might perhaps first create a questionnaire and give us the link, either publicly on this thread or privately via PM, and at the end of it ask if any of the respondents would be happy to talk further either by phone or chat etc. and ask for a contact.

Hi bluejay, thanks for the advice.

Here is a short survey that I have been spreading around if anybody has a minute: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uRY6q7T0DCyo3CWJxfE6lph50qjQPQpqw5uzIKvWl6g/viewform

I have surveyed hundreds of people already, but have found that nothing is better for research than an open ended chat! :)

All feedback is good feedback, thank you so much for your time!!

And thank you to everyone else who has completed the survey anonymously.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1431356850' post='2770390']
I've just completed the survey - can't imagine why somebody would lend gear to somebody they don't know...
[/quote]

Money is the main answer. There are a lot of struggling musicians with expensive gear that could be helping them pay the bills. But, of course, everyone is different, and to some people sentimental value is priceless; personally there are one or two instruments that I would never rent out, but more that I would.

If anyone who filled out the survey is interested in taking a quick look at the proposed site, you can see it here: [url="https://www.soundswap.co.uk"]www.soundswap.co.uk[/url]

Thank you again to everyone who filled it out!

Edited by rob.mayzes

When it comes to lending out equipment/hiring rehearsal space, I would only consider doing it doing it to people that I know to be competant, and can somewhat trust - unfortunately some people don't have any respect for things they don't personally own, and the risk of an idiot trashing amps/PA etc that I need to fulfill my own commitments is unacceptable, so I would only consider dry renting through an anonymous web service something like my old Peavey TNT combo (which isn't really a piece of expensive equipment that an aspiring musician couldn't afford).

Couple of points regarding the T&Cs on the website which are unclear

Who is liable in the event that injury or damage is caused to a third party when the rented equipment is in use.

What is the position in the case of a third party committing an identity theft and then proceeding to rent equipment with the stolen identity(or a hacked account on the site) and abscond with the rented items.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1432015554' post='2777179']
Done the survey , I've often thought about buying a decent lightweight pa for pubs and halls and hiring it out when we don't use it
[/quote]

Thanks for your comment lojo, and thanks for filling out the survey. This is one of the reasons we thought a site like this might be useful. I bought a PA and wanted to earn the money back through rental, but found Gumtree and other methods highly ineffective.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1432035456' post='2777400']
When it comes to lending out equipment/hiring rehearsal space, I would only consider doing it doing it to people that I know to be competant, and can somewhat trust - unfortunately some people don't have any respect for things they don't personally own, and the risk of an idiot trashing amps/PA etc that I need to fulfill my own commitments is unacceptable, so I would only consider dry renting through an anonymous web service something like my old Peavey TNT combo (which isn't really a piece of expensive equipment that an aspiring musician couldn't afford).
[/quote]

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am exactly the same, and know how disrespectful people can be. This is why we have predicted that a strong focus on a site review system would be needed, especially when it comes to more complicated equipment. You wouldn't want any old idiot renting your favourite valve amp, but a local musician who has a high number of positive reviews that you get to meet in person before deciding might be more appealing.

On the other hand, if you do have old equipment that isn't so valuable, it might be beneficial to make a few quid lending it out to a young bassist that can't afford a band worthy amp.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1432035456' post='2777400']
Couple of points regarding the T&Cs on the website which are unclear

Who is liable in the event that injury or damage is caused to a third party when the rented equipment is in use.

What is the position in the case of a third party committing an identity theft and then proceeding to rent equipment with the stolen identity(or a hacked account on the site) and abscond with the rented items.
[/quote]

Thank you for taking a look at the T&Cs - they are only temporary and will be completely re-written if we launch, but I'm very grateful that you raised these points!

Renters (those borrowing the equipment) are fully liable for all injury while using the equipment and we will strongly recommend public liability insurance to all users. We provide cover up to £800 for theft and damage, and above that you can take a deposit for the full amount. So, for example, if somebody commits identity fraud (which will be difficult considering the verification methods we have in place, plus PayPals verifications) and steals your equipment, we will pay the full amount to you straight away (or you will already have a deposit) and then we are liable to recover those costs.

[quote name='rob.mayzes' timestamp='1432046121' post='2777530']
Renters (those borrowing the equipment) are fully liable for all injury while using the equipment and we will strongly recommend public liability insurance to all users.
[/quote]
Would this have implications upon the Owners to be able to prove that equipment meets any necessary electrical safety standards (current PAT test cert for example) before lending it out?

If I lent out my TNT combo in an electrically unsafe condition, and somebody got injured or there was an electrical fire as a direct result, I suspect that a contract that attempted to place the responsibility for said injury/damage soley onto the Renter might be viewed as patently unfair (and therefore null and void) if it was tested in court.

Maybe it would be worth investigating the possibility of providing short term PLI for Renters as part of the website service.

Personally, the idea of being able to rent gear sounds quite appealing, it could cure GAS. The thought of renting my gear out is far less appealing however, and if I had to pay a large deposit to rent, is sooner take a punt and just buy. I could imagine some people may be interested though, so good luck!

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1432051340' post='2777596']
Would this have implications upon the Owners to be able to prove that equipment meets any necessary electrical safety standards (current PAT test cert for example) before lending it out?

If I lent out my TNT combo in an electrically unsafe condition, and somebody got injured or there was an electrical fire as a direct result, I suspect that a contract that attempted to place the responsibility for said injury/damage soley onto the Renter might be viewed as patently unfair (and therefore null and void) if it was tested in court.

Maybe it would be worth investigating the possibility of providing short term PLI for Renters as part of the website service.
[/quote]

These are good points, will look in to the possibility of PLI for all members. There will definitely be plenty of work for our lawyers!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1432056500' post='2777674']
Personally, the idea of being able to rent gear sounds quite appealing, it could cure GAS. The thought of renting my gear out is far less appealing however, and if I had to pay a large deposit to rent, is sooner take a punt and just buy. I could imagine some people may be interested though, so good luck!
[/quote]

Hi Damonjames, thanks for the feedback! Certainly great for GAS. We are planning to offer cover ourselves so that deposits are not necessary (or at most a 30% deposit). Thanks a lot!