Why become a member? ×

Bongo - the perfect bass for recording?

cloudburst

As most of us have discovered painfully, different basses suit different situations. And it's not always the bass you expect that does well at any given task.

Like many of you, I've struggled to find a bass tone that I'm happy with when recording my band's tracks.

And quite by accident, I've discovered a great setup that goes way beyond my wildest dreams in terms of my tonal expectations...

Musicman Bongo 4HH -> SansAmp Para Driver (all EQ and Drive turned off, just using as DI) -> XLR -> PreSonus iTwo -> Apple Logic Pro X

If you haven't tried a Bongo, please do, if you have the chance. I'm not sure how it sounds so good in this situation - perhaps it has to do with the 18v preamp etc?

CB

PS: Sorry to be a bit 'gushy' :-)

Did an entire album with a HH model in 2006. Yes.

Although, my Peavey GV has performed wonderfully on recent recordings. A bloody great bass and for a graphite necked USA made 18v/35" scale bass, a bargain.

Miss my bongo, sold it far too cheaply in a time of dire need.

Used a 4H on my first ever recording and it was phenomenal - despite my then 14 year-old self not necessarily having the most developed technique... Never forgotten that tone and am now awaiting news back from my dealer as to which 5HS Bongos are available in the UK.

GAS for Bongo no. 2 was going to have to be addressed at some point!

Great to hear so much positive feedback. I play a Bongo 5 HH and 5 H. I'd say these instruments are by far the best I ever had the pleasure to play. What I probably like most about them is that their tone is so even all over the fretboard. I really wonder why they do not get more love in Europe. In the USA they seem to be pretty popular.