Why become a member? ×

BSX allegro EUB

Hi
I'm increasingly finding myself in the position where the DB is becoming impractical so I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a bass allegro 4 string. Will still use DB as my main . Any guys got any experience with this EUB.
thanks

Edited by marvin spangles

• 3 years later...

Hi, I'm actually thinking the same thing. They do look great, and a serious alternative to carting a full body sized acoustic DB about
Anyone else got any more thoughts on them please? Did you go for one Marvin Spangles?

Hi have a five string Allegro. It's a cool instrument but one of the piezo's crapped out and as they are all in the wooden bridge, it rendered it useless. I disconnected the bridge from the preamp and there were no less than 15 very small wires to keep track of and then reattach. I ended up having a traditional bridge installed with a Full Circle which, IMO, made it sound more DB like. They play very well though and construction is good.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TPJ said:

Hi have a five string Allegro. It's a cool instrument but one of the piezo's crapped out and as they are all in the wooden bridge, it rendered it useless. I disconnected the bridge from the preamp and there were no less than 15 very small wires to keep track of and then reattach. I ended up having a traditional bridge installed with a Full Circle which, IMO, made it sound more DB like. They play very well though and construction is good.

I read about someone having a problem with the pickup - perhaps it was yourself?
Shame that happened to you, and glad you got it sorted :) I hope it's not a common fault
Was it easy to remove the old bridge and access the wiring? Was it easy to fit a standard bridge, or did it need a lot of modification?
I think I need to pop along to the bass centre and give one a whirl.....

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for all the additional questions! lol
It's just that I'm thinking of selling my Czech Ease to get one of these, and I want to get that right (as I probably won't see another Czech Ease)

Someone else has had a similar problem with the bridge and piezos too. Dealing with the bridge and wires was a pain. I never tried to re-connect it all as it was too much.I removed the peramp too so mine is fully acoustic with just the Full Circle. Fitting a new bridge was easy as the table is flat. from what I remember. I don't have the bass currently at hand to look.

It's worth checking one out, especially the removable neck models as it will all fit in a hard golf case. Bring a bow too if you can do that sort of thing :)

• Thanks 1

Argh. Just lost most of my reply. I will do this in installments.

I have been using a 4 string Allegro for a few years. It is a very transportable solution and I don't regret buying mine, but there are a few practical issues. To highlight these is not to condemn the bass as the overall package is a good one. Also, these are all "in my experience".

Balance. It does not balance against the body like a double bass. Initially I could only play mine sat down. I can now balance it standing, preferably with the side extension attached. Like any instrument, familiarity helps.

Edited by DBerriff
  • Thanks 1

Laying it down. It will not balance on its side; it tips over on its back. I use a cello stand for gigs. BSX does offer a tripod stand as an extra but Bass Direct did not have one in when I bought mine.

Output. Mine has quite a low output. I checked the internal pots and they are all set to pencilled calibration marks. I decided to leave it all alone and just turn up my preamp gain. I have not noticed any additional noise through gh my Genzler 350.

Gig bag. The shoulder strap is not up to the job; use the handles. One of my band mates dropped the Allegro when, unasked, he decided to help me carry my gear to car. It landed on the tailpiece and this pulled the screws out. It is in for checking at the moment. As far as I know no other damage was sustained. They are built to take a few knocks.

Edited by DBerriff
  • Thanks 1

Setup. The adjustable neck angle is a clever idea although mine needs to be almost flat in the pocket to get reasonable string height.

Strings. I fitted the suggested upgrade Thomastik Spirocore Weich strings and they are excellent for a more traditional sound.

Playing. This where it wins over something like the otherwise excellent NSX EUB when reading. The neck has the reference points that you have on a double bass.

Transporability. In our hatchback the Allegro just needs the wider side of the split rear seat folded down and it fits comfortably behind the driver's seat.. It will also fit in over the passenger seat when it is moved fully back.

Please ask any questions that you might have. As always, the above is all just my personal experience.

Edited by DBerriff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/07/2018 at 14:11, TPJ said:

Someone else has had a similar problem with the bridge and piezos too. Dealing with the bridge and wires was a pain. I never tried to re-connect it all as it was too much.I removed the peramp too so mine is fully acoustic with just the Full Circle. Fitting a new bridge was easy as the table is flat. from what I remember. I don't have the bass currently at hand to look.

It's worth checking one out, especially the removable neck models as it will all fit in a hard golf case. Bring a bow too if you can do that sort of thing :)

An interesting solution. I will bear this in mind if I ever hit any problems. Thank you.