Why become a member? ×

Impedance question

Urban Lions

I have a trace elliot ah600 (pre Gibson) it has two speaker outputs on the back both a at 4ohms.

First question would be if I powered one cab from one output would I be getting 300w @ 4ohms or the full 600w @ 4ohms?

If it's 300w each side then if I used a two 1/4 inch jacks to one speak on cable and took both loads would this still be 4ohms or would it go down to 2ohms?

My cab is 1000w @ 4ohms

I'm pretty certain this is a bad idea - AFAIK wiring two outputs together trying to feed a single cabinet means each output can see the other and you never want that to happen. I'm not familiar with the AH600 head but a quick Google suggests it outputs 600 watts into a 4 ohm load so you just run one output into your cab to get the full power of 600 watts - the 4ohm thing on the back of the head will be the minimum load (so you could run 2 cabs each 8 ohm from both outputs or 1 cab of 4 ohms from one output).

Edited by HowieBass

Your amp can run 1 8 ohm cab (@ approx 300 watts), or 2 8 ohm cabs (@ 600 watts split evenly between them), or 1 4 ohm cab (@ 600 watts going to it).

There are no "sides". It is 1 amp of 600 watts at 4 ohms.

These totals are "maximum" ratings and you probably wouldn't get near to them in real life.

http://www.traceelliot.com/bassamps/?item=116929

[quote name='Urban Lions' timestamp='1431042824' post='2767345']
I have a.....
If it's 300w each side then if I used a two 1/4 inch jacks to one speak on cable and took both loads would this still be 4ohms or would it go down to 2ohms?
[/quote]
It would probably go boom. At very least become a smoke machine.

The "Impedance" thread at the top of this forum section is a worthwhile read, but what Chris said above is spot on.

If you plug your 4 ohm cab into the amp with a single cable, the amp is going to be running at 4 ohms.
If you plug a 2nd cab in, then you're going to lower the ohms which in turn makes your amp work harder & greatly increases the chances of it burning out.

Urban Lions - you say this is pre-Gibson, but is this the AH600-12 SMX or AH600-7 SM amp?

If the 12-band EQ SMX range I *think* it's 2x 300W amps, each capable of a 4 ohm min load.

If it's the 7-band SM range it's one 600W amp, capable of 4 ohms min.

Ok so that's a single 600W stage, you can run one 4 ohm cab, or one or two 8 ohm cabs. Do not run two 4 ohm cabs because the amp will fry.

As for your BFC, if it's been rewired to 4 ohm then you're fine but you'll need to check this as per OBBM's comments in you other thread :)

I have a trace elliot ah600 (pre Gibson) it has two speaker outputs on the back both a at 4ohms.

First question would be if I powered one cab from one output would I be getting 300w @ 4ohms or the full 600w @ 4ohms?

[b]If it's 300w each side then if I used a two 1/4 inch jacks to one speak on cable and took both loads would this still be 4ohms or would it go down to 2ohms?[/b]

My cab is 1000w @ 4ohms
[/quote]

You can't do that.... and shouldn't and don't need to anyway,

You have 600w out into 4... you have a 1000w cab at 4..
your amp will deliver its full power off one output socket..simple.
No point splitting the signal as it is still a mono signal out

[quote name='Urban Lions' timestamp='1431329015' post='2769921']
Merton it says on the back of the cab that each set of speakers are 4ohms. I have a photo of the set up how do I post on here?
[/quote]

If each set of speakers is 4 ohm then the can isn't 4 ohm total...

See http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169865-trace-elliot-bfc-1000w-bass-cab-for-sale/
Same plate on yours I assume?

If so then check OBBM's wiring diagram on your thread http://basschat.co.uk/topic/259847-advice-needed-on-how-to-power-a-trace-elliot-bfc-please/page__fromsearch__1 because it explains all :)

Guest bassman7755

My cab is 1000w @ 4ohms
[/quote]

Its not "300 W a side" its a single 600W amp with parallel outputs, the only reason it has two jacks is as a convenience measure to allow you to plug 2 8 ohm speakers in (which would be run in parallel giving 4 ohm). Just plug your speaker in and go.

Edited by bassman7755

The ah600 features 2 300 watt power amps in one case. Each amp will deliver 300watts rms into a 4 ohm load.. Under no circumstances should the 2 amplifier outputs be connected together. Each output is designed to drive an individual speaker enclosure. It is quite feasible for each output to easily drive 2 8 ohm cabinets wired in parallel, hence 4 ohms to each channel. Therefore you can drive up to 4! 8 ohm speakers in this way. If you activate the built in electronic crossover, the left hand Chanel drives the low frequency cabs, and the right hand channel drives the higher frequency cabs. Do this, and your on stage sound will be fantastic. I've owned one since 1993, and they are a totally brilliant amp, particularly if fronted by the gp12smx per amp.

[quote name='Francis Pettifer' timestamp='1432158151' post='2778806']
The ah600 features 2 300 watt power amps in one case. Each amp will deliver 300watts rms into a 4 ohm load.. Under no circumstances should the 2 amplifier outputs be connected together. Each output is designed to drive an individual speaker enclosure. It is quite feasible for each output to easily drive 2 8 ohm cabinets wired in parallel, hence 4 ohms to each channel. Therefore you can drive up to 4! 8 ohm speakers in this way. If you activate the built in electronic crossover, the left hand Chanel drives the low frequency cabs, and the right hand channel drives the higher frequency cabs. Do this, and your on stage sound will be fantastic. I've owned one since 1993, and they are a totally brilliant amp, particularly if fronted by the gp12smx per amp.
[/quote]

That's the 12 band head - the OP has the 7 band head which is a mono 600W head.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1432191627' post='2778952']
That's the 12 band head - the OP has the 7 band head which is a mono 600W head.
[/quote]

Not according to my collection of Trace brochures Martin. They are both shown as being 2-channel 300-watt + 300-watt.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1432200127' post='2779041']

Not according to my collection of Trace brochures Martin. They are both shown as being 2-channel 300-watt + 300-watt.
[/quote]

Oh, fair enough. I was only aware of the mono 7-band version :)

• 3 weeks later...