Why become a member? ×

Dr. J Soloman Overdrive Pedal, Not Working?

blue

I use a pinch of chorus (TC Electronics Corona) and overdrive on a few songs. My Boss OB-3 Overdrive Pedal was problematic from day 1. When ever I engaged it my volume would drop significantly and even after adjusting the level it still was a pain. I don't like double stacked dials and actually all the dials on it are too small for me to adjust easily at gigs.

I'm pulling the Boss Overdrive pedal from my board this weekend and replacing it with the true by-pass Dr.J Soloman Overdrive pedal. It looks a lot easier to use.

Anyone know anything about the Soloman Overdrive pedal?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1431100004' post='2767837']
I've never heard of them but anything's an improvement over that Boss pedal... ;)
[/quote]

Agreed, I've had nothing but problems with that thing.

Blue

Yeah, it's made by Joya. I have listened to a few Joya overdrive pedals on Youtube, but most of those demos are poorly scripted and if your not using the bass and amp they are using what can you really tell?

Blue

Edited by blue

Ordered the Dr.J Soloman Bass Overdrive on Tuesday, it came UPS today.

I'm going to pull that Boss OB-3 out of my chain tonight and put the Soloman in. I have a bar gig tomorrow night and will try it out and give a report on Sunday.

Blue

I did a bedroom pre-gig check on the Soloman Bass Overdrive.

So far I love it. Maybe it's the true by-pass?

Level and gain with those big chicken head dials, that's all the eq I need and have the aptitude for.

Let's hope it does what I want it to do at tomorrow night's gig.

Blue

BTW, the thing was inexpensive, $69.00

All my other pedals work fine. What's up with overdrive? Just like with my Boss OOB-3 as soon as you turn the thing on the volume drops way down and you have to turn up your bass and the level on the overdrive.

Any easy solutions for this?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1431411865' post='2770910']
Stupid answer but are you using the same patch lead on the overdrives? if so it could be as simple as a dodgy patch lead or is it another pedal in front of it that is causing the volume drop? I am no expert on these things though hope you fix it mate :)
[/quote]

Never thought of that. Thanks Tbird.

I switch out the patch cord when I trouble shoot tonight.

Blue

Edited by blue

Out of interest do you run quite a treble heavy tone or have a low amount of mids or lows? Do you have an EQ pedal? A lot of drives respond very differently depending on the raw sound going into them, so might be worth playing with your tone and see how it responds.

Some drives can really suck the low end out so it sounds like our volume has dropped massively, when it's just the low end punch has disappeared. Sometimes you really have to crank the level / volume so that the bass still cuts through. I know it's a really stupid question but your Boss pedal has a separate Level control, are you saying your volume drops even when this is turned all the way up?

I tend to use a blend pedal with a lot of my set ups so i still have some of the dry bass signal running through my sound, then i dial in more extreme settings on drives so that you still get that overdriven sound but with solid bass underpinning the band. The only drive pedal i've not really worried with this about is a Darkglass VMT Deluxe (i know there are many Bass OD pedals that also don't need a clean blend to sound good, before everyone posts saying how their OD pedal also sounds good without a blend pedal).

Edited by The Badderer

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1431513700' post='2772029']
Out of interest do you run quite a treble heavy tone or have a low amount of mids or lows? Do you have an EQ pedal? A lot of drives respond very differently depending on the raw sound going into them, so might be worth playing with your tone and see how it responds.

Some drives can really suck the low end out so it sounds like our volume has dropped massively, when it's just the low end punch has disappeared. Sometimes you really have to crank the level / volume so that the bass still cuts through. I know it's a really stupid question but your Boss pedal has a separate Level control, are you saying your volume drops even when this is turned all the way up?

I tend to use a blend pedal with a lot of my set ups so i still have some of the dry bass signal running through my sound, then i dial in more extreme settings on drives so that you still get that overdriven sound but with solid bass underpinning the band. The only drive pedal i've not really worried with this about is a Darkglass VMT Deluxe (i know there are many Bass OD pedals that also don't need a clean blend to sound good, before everyone posts saying how their OD pedal also sounds good without a blend pedal).
[/quote]

All good things to consider. I was using my G&L ASAT with the pre-amp on with the treble boost.

When I test it I'll try using my Gibson Thunderbird.

Blue

yeah. at the start of the chain, assuming you aren't using an envelope filter. to get the drive sound you want it needs to get the cleanest signal at the start of the chain, otherwise if it has passed through other pedals that apply a level of filtering, the original signal is then altered, so it's trying to drive a standard bass signal, but receiving an altered signal, so the OD then doesn't react the way you would expect it to.

The only exception to this is if you are running any envelope filters that require a clean signal to work properly. If you are then you'll have to consider your options more carefully.

I had a revelation with my Big Muff by running it before my tuner pedal as through some reading i found out a Big Muff pedal works properly by reacting with the circuitry in your bass itself, so i ran a Passive Jazz straight into the Big Muff and it worked amazingly well like the sound i'd always wanted. Obviously this is Fuzz not OD but goes to show position in the signal chain is key.

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1431541597' post='2772450']
yeah. at the start of the chain, assuming you aren't using an envelope filter. to get the drive sound you want it needs to get the cleanest signal at the start of the chain, otherwise if it has passed through other pedals that apply a level of filtering, the original signal is then altered, so it's trying to drive a standard bass signal, but receiving an altered signal, so the OD then doesn't react the way you would expect it to.

The only exception to this is if you are running any envelope filters that require a clean signal to work properly. If you are then you'll have to consider your options more carefully.

I had a revelation with my Big Muff by running it before my tuner pedal as through some reading i found out a Big Muff pedal works properly by reacting with the circuitry in your bass itself, so i ran a Passive Jazz straight into the Big Muff and it worked amazingly well like the sound i'd always wanted. Obviously this is Fuzz not OD but goes to show position in the signal chain is key.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll try moving it to the 3rd spot in the chain, right after my wireless receiver and tuner.

Blue

Ok guys,

I set my gig rig up in the living room and got the crunch I was looking for by keeping the level at about 9:00 and the drive up high at about 2:00. That was with my G&L ASAT with active pre-amp. With my Gibson Thunderbird I had to turn the drive up to about 5:30.

I have a gig this weekend with Greg Koch, keep your fingers crossed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zkhKsl9ICg

Blue

when you're setting the levels on pedals so that they don't jump up or down when you engage them, you have to do it at full gigging volume. If you're deciding on settings at home, then I doubt you'll be as loud as you are at gigs? Which will lead to problems

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1431602033' post='2772990']
when you're setting the levels on pedals so that they don't jump up or down when you engage them, you have to do it at full gigging volume. If you're deciding on settings at home, then I doubt you'll be as loud as you are at gigs? Which will lead to problems
[/quote]

Ok, I will have set everything back up and test at full gig volume. :angry:

Blue