Why become a member? ×

Help! Low bridge, what are my options........?

donslow

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1431240859' post='2769016']
When you are securing the neck to the body make sure that the screws pass through the body without catching. They should be a tight fit but the thread should not catch.

If the screws do catch on the body this can cause you to create a gap between the neck and body because the screws can be screwed tight up to the end in the body wood, but only part way into the neck wood. The resulting gap is then like a shim.
[/quote]

My vote goes for this. Alternatively, some neck screws engage with a self-tapped thread in the body as well as in the neck. This creates the same problem as Grangur describes, in that the very end of the heel may be sitting a screw-turn too high in the pocket. A photo of the fretboard side of the heel, sitting in the body, might help - normally the line where the fretboard meets the neck will be parallel to the top of the body.

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1431240859' post='2769016']
When you are securing the neck to the body make sure that the screws pass through the body without catching. They should be a tight fit but the thread should not catch.

If the screws do catch on the body this can cause you to create a gap between the neck and body because the screws can be screwed tight up to the end in the body wood, but only part way into the neck wood. The resulting gap is then like a shim.
[/quote]

Yup, listen to this man. B)

Also, when screwing back the neck, I like to thread the screws through a candle first, to allow the wax to just slightly lubricate the thread. The screws then follow the threaded hole a little more easily. Whatever you do, be gentle, you don't want to enlarge the hole.

It hasn't been mentioned yet but when putting the neck screws in get them all pinched up lightly before tightening properly and evenly. If you've done the headstock end ones properly tight before the body end ones are anywhere near you could've pulled the neck down unevenly.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1431255116' post='2769197']

Yup, listen to this man. B)
[/quote]
Thank you. I take that as a real compliment.

It looks like some folk are giving good advice now. I like the one about candle wax on the thread.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1431255258' post='2769200']
Also, when screwing back the neck, I like to thread the screws through a candle first, to allow the wax to just slightly lubricate the thread. The screws then follow the threaded hole a little more easily. Whatever you do, be gentle, you don't want to enlarge the hole.
[/quote]

Gentlemen, thank you ever so much for all your advice, problem solved!!!

Still not sure what the problem was but I suspect grangur was spot on, the neck, I think was just unevenly seated in the pocket

Just took the neck off, there was no debris in the pocket so I took my time and screwed it back on nipping each screw up whilst holding the neck still and then tightened each screw on opposite corners, seems to have solved the problem, the saddle screws are a little higher than they were before now but I suspect the lack of paint to have countered that

Going to changed all the screws one by one as they have gotten a little chewed in the heads, using the wax tip given here, top tip that man!!

Once again, thanks for all your helpful advice, your all gods!!!

Edited by donslow