Why become a member? ×

Rush R40 tour (probable spoilers)

wateroftyne

Hey gang

Just caught up on reports from the opening night of the Rush tour in Tulsa.

They've pushed the boat out this time.. it's a hell of a concept.

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2015/05/08/4336/Rush-R40-Live-tour-opening-night-in-Tulsa-open-thread-and-LIVE-setlist-SPOILERS

After skipping the last tour I'd be tempted by this, but 'm not sure they could bring it to Europe. The logistics would be crazy.... We'll see.

I've just watched a clip of them playing one of the surprises in the set. Thinking that - even through a crappy YouTube clip - the bass sounded better than it has is a while, I squinted a look at what he was using for that song.

All I can say is... mwhahahahahaaa

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1431147244' post='2768219']
The logistics would be crazy.... We'll see.
[/quote]

It'd be great but it's as much Neal Peart's tendonitis as logistics, see https://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-04-29/rush-neil-peart-tendonitis-tour-retirement

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1431157644' post='2768272']
I've just watched a clip of them playing one of the surprises in the set. Thinking that - even through a crappy YouTube clip - the bass sounded better than it has is a while, I squinted a look at what he was using for that song.

All I can say is... mwhahahahahaaa
[/quote]What is it?

[quote name='blamelouis' timestamp='1431252174' post='2769141']
Ok guys never got into Rush but read Neal Pearts autobiographical "Ghostrider" and was blown away.
Any recommendations for dipping ones toe into the Rush catalogue?
[/quote]Listen to a 'Best Of' and pick the era you like best. I always liked the Permanent Wave/Moving Pictures era, but have just discovered Presto and Roll The Bones. The latter 2 are the most pilloried Rush albums, but they really appeal to my sonic sensibilities.

Moving Pictures, 2112, Counterparts, A Farewell To Kings should give you good coverage.

Or try the live albums Exit Stage Left, A Show Of Hands and Different Stages for a good cross section of everything.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1431215278' post='2768964']
Both using doublenecks.[/quote]

Now this is interesting, if you're a spotter like me:

It's one of 3 things - a Rickenbacker one-off, a Rickenbacker Geddy Lee Sig prototype, or (shock, horror!) a COPY!!! :o

Proper Rick tailpiece (as never before seen on a bass played by Geddy), full-width inlays, wavy Grovers, gold scratchplates, looks like bolt-on or set necks - & I bet it's got checked binding. Proper early 70s tribute, that is.

This, more than anything else, makes me a little sad they ain't coming over here.

Jon.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1431258776' post='2769283']

I know all the issues with Neil's health etc, but has anyone heard or seen anything definitive that says they will not take R40 worldwide?

I just don't see how it can be a farewell tour if they don't leave North America/Canada.
[/quote]

TBH, if one of big factors is logistics, I'd be over the moon if they just came over here with a minimal production. A couple of amps, and a few spots. That would be awesome. :-)

[quote name='blamelouis' timestamp='1431252174' post='2769141']
Ok guys never got into Rush but read Neal Pearts autobiographical "Ghostrider" and was blown away.
Any recommendations for dipping ones toe into the Rush catalogue?
[/quote]The live Exit, Stage Left is a good start for their seventies output.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1431256364' post='2769222']
Now this is interesting, if you're a spotter like me:

It's one of 3 things - a Rickenbacker one-off, a Rickenbacker Geddy Lee Sig prototype, or (shock, horror!) a COPY!!! :o

Proper Rick tailpiece (as never before seen on a bass played by Geddy), full-width inlays, wavy Grovers, gold scratchplates, looks like bolt-on or set necks - & I bet it's got checked binding. Proper early 70s tribute, that is.

This, more than anything else, makes me a little sad they ain't coming over here.

Jon.
[/quote]That's really easy on the eye.