Why become a member? ×

Rush R40 tour (probable spoilers)

wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1431265172' post='2769387']
The whole show has just popped up on YouTube, and - IMO - Geddy's voice renders it unlistenable. He just can't do it any more, which is a real shame.
[/quote]I listened to some of it too - Geddy's defo got a bit of paulmccartneyitis.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1431290237' post='2769742']
That's really easy on the eye.
[/quote]

Sure is - but 4080s have always felt a bit top-heavy for me. Stick the bass on the bottom like a Shergold or Mike Rutherford's customer Rickenbacker 360/12-4001 cut&shut model. (I'm sure Geddy will see the error of his ways on reading this and switch immediately)

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='blamelouis' timestamp='1431252174' post='2769141']
Ok guys never got into Rush but read Neal Pearts autobiographical "Ghostrider" and was blown away.
Any recommendations for dipping ones toe into the Rush catalogue?
[/quote]

I read it a while back and it totally changed my outlook on life. Makes you realise how precious time with loved ones is.

Read most of them now. A little highbrow in places but staggeringly honest about life on the road from his own personal perspective.

I find him very inspirational.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1431259264' post='2769291']
I'd be over the moon if they just came over here with a minimal production. A couple of amps, and a few spots. That would be awesome. :-)
[/quote]Me too! :gas:
IMO - Geddy's voice renders it unlistenable. He just can't do it any more, which is a real shame.
[/quote]

Possibly a bit strong... but I see where you are coming from. For a sixty year old he does pretty well, but his voice does sound very strange now on the older material (and not much better on the new stuff!).

It doesn't seem to be a problem with range though. Some of the high notes are still there... but his delivery style has changed significantly, and not for the better IMO.

As some singers get older they often have to change the way in which they operate just to get through tours at all. Rush have been playing some of the older songs in dropped keys for quite a while (that detuned red bass used to be a dead giveaway that an 'oldie' was coming up) so he's probably struggling on the top notes too.

True. Fish (ex-Marillion frontman) has suffered more than most from this over the years, as he used to sing in a falsetto voice back in the eighties....

But it's not just the keys with Geddy, it's the strange wailing delivery he seems to have adopted too. That changes the whole dynamic of the song IMO.

Such is life. I'd still rather listen to current Rush than 99% of other bands currently out there! B)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1431344965' post='2770159']
But it's not just the keys with Geddy, it's the strange wailing delivery he seems to have adopted too. That changes the whole dynamic of the song IMO.
[/quote]

Yeah - his phrasing is just weird now...

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1431331025' post='2769940']
Sure is - but 4080s have always felt a bit top-heavy for me. Stick the bass on the bottom like a Shergold or Mike Rutherford's customer Rickenbacker 360/12-4001 cut&shut model. (I'm sure Geddy will see the error of his ways on reading this and switch immediately)
[/quote] :)

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1431256364' post='2769222']
Now this is interesting, if you're a spotter like me:

It's one of 3 things - a Rickenbacker one-off, a Rickenbacker Geddy Lee Sig prototype, or (shock, horror!) a COPY!!! :o

Proper Rick tailpiece (as never before seen on a bass played by Geddy), full-width inlays, wavy Grovers, gold scratchplates, looks like bolt-on or set necks - & I bet it's got checked binding. Proper early 70s tribute, that is.

This, more than anything else, makes me a little sad they ain't coming over here.

Jon.
[/quote]

Set/bolt-on necks are normal on 4080s (guitar necks are bolt-on, bass necks are set, but also have a plate).

I am almost certain that this doubleneck Geddy is using once belonged to the guy who very kindly helped me find both my Rick doublenecks. It was a restoration by Dale Fortune, complete with full width inlays (which Rickenbacker hadn't started doing again at the time) and, yes, checkerboard binding. It was in a bad way before and had a nasty headless six string guitar neck.

Before & After pics below.

I know the person it was restored for took the horseshoe out and put it in another bass - everything else looks identical to the bass Geddy is playing.

Having seen the setlist, I can't help myself & I'm off to Vancouver in July. :)

Edited by jonsmith

Replying to my own post...but I've found a photo of my 4080/12 next to the one I am sure Geddy is using and I can see that even back then (2008) the horseshoe is already gone from the restoration doubleneck. Note the very narrow walnut wings on the bass headstock, same as in the photo of Geddy Lee's doubleneck.

That's the same bass, 99.9% certain. And the one option I didn't consider - a quite amazing restoration. I've been blown away by the quality of some of Dale Fortune's work before on the RickResource board - cheers for unearthing the pics.

Wish I could afford to go. Maybe they'll get a second wind & come over here after all - I won't even complain about Geddy's peculiar yodelling!

J.

I'm hoping that their "retirement" is retirement from the long tours that they're known for. I'm hoping that they do come to the UK at some point in the not too distant future, and I'm also hoping that they continue to operate as a recording band, as Clockwork Angels was their best album in a long time.

Best albums for a non-Rush fan? I' say that yo should try Clockwork Angels, Snakes & Arrows and Vapour Trails. Then work through the rest of the back catalogue if you like them.

Geddy's voice renders it unlistenable. He just can't do it any more, which is a real shame.
[/quote]

I agree - fair play to them soldiering on, but it's like yodelling.

I've only got into Rush very recently (and quite selectively too) and I'd be bang up for seeing them on this tour, should they come to the UK, but I doubt I could sit through a couple of hours of that style.

Shame, but there you go. I can't sing like I could 35 years ago either !

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1432140194' post='2778565']
Seems Ged's become obsessed with collecting vintage basses. Wonder if he posts on here? :lol:

Anyway, this is apparently what he's taken out on tour:

J.
[/quote]Well you'd want to max out your endorsements on your (allegedly) final tour wouldn't you. His backline must be massive!