Why become a member? ×

Rush R40 tour (probable spoilers)

wateroftyne

Geddy's bass playing is getting better as his voice, inevitably, is getting worse. He struggled on the Clockwork Angels tour and what i've seen of this tour his voice just isn't up to it. Lakeside Park, for all the much welcome nostalgia, just sounded dire!

That said, I love Rush. Permanent Waves is one of the greatest albums of all time.

I think this will be their last tour, I wonder what the last night will be like.

Still after 40 years they deserve all the credit and respect. They've had a hell of a run and not turned into massive arseholes like many other bands (cough Bono cough)

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1432333452' post='2780688']
If you are feeling brave, the identities of his Ricks are out there on Rickresource. The double neck is an original Rick and not the work of a luthier or ghost builder.

[/quote]

Are you saying the double neck is as it left the factory? Is there a link to that on RRF? All I've read on there says it's Dale Fortune's restoration, which started out as the mapleglo with headless six string neck that I included a photograph of in my post. It's now quite different to how it was beforehand (has a new 12 string neck that's swappable with a 6 string neck also made as part of the restoration, full width inlays, checkered binding, gold pick guards and TRCs, FG refinish), so has had a lot of great work by a luthier.

Edited by jonsmith

• 3 months later...

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1443197677' post='2873078']
I thought the RTB mix sounds quite good! Can't wait for the album/DVD. :)
[/quote]Agreed. Other than the rhythm guitar needing to be a little higher in the mix, I didn't think that was too sloppy. Great bass tone.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1444065233' post='2880012']
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZmK4PKrJ60
[/quote]Love that track (and the album; yes I'm the one) but my brain can't cope with Geddy playing that blond P (yes I know he used one originally, but that was sunburst). Doesn't stop it sounding monstrous though. Thanks for posting. :D

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1443192379' post='2873006']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A typically dodgy Rush live album mix, but... damn. I wish Geddy had played a P more often.[/font][/color][/quote]

Its funny hearing him on a P bass - it makes me realise that on a lot of his early recordings featuring the J basses (Moving Pictures in particular) he clearly didn't have both J pickups on full, but favoured the neck pickup: giving a rather Precision-esque tone. Limelight being a good example of this.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-kQsVk8K4c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-kQsVk8K4c[/url]

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1444130168' post='2880481']

Its funny hearing him on a P bass - it makes me realise that on a lot of his early recordings featuring the J basses (Moving Pictures in particular) he clearly didn't have both J pickups on full, but favoured the neck pickup: giving a rather Precision-esque tone. Limelight being a good example of this.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-kQsVk8K4c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-kQsVk8K4c[/url]
[/quote]

Indeed. The Jazz on Moving Pictures is neck pickup only. My old Roadworn Jazz absolutely nailed that sound.
People often say it's difficult to tell the difference between the Rickenbacker and the Jazz, but they really do sound very different - on Signals for example, the difference is night and day. It's a bit trickier on Moving Pictures as the bass tracks had a load of distortion added on after recording.

My recollection is that, during the Moving Pictures tour, he turned to using Nivea soap which, whilst leaving his skin nice and soft, undermined his callouses, particularly on his 'noisemaker' finger. Historically, he had used Wright's Cold Tar soap when on tour (certainly on the 2112 and Hemisphers tours) but that was proving increasingly difficult to source in most countries, even though it was part of the band's rider. After Signals, he realised that the whole soap and callouses thing was an old wives tales and reverted to the Pears soap his mother used during his childhood in Willowdale. The impact this had on his emotional well-being was incredible and prevented the near collpase of the trio when Lifeson fell off the wagon and started smoking again.

As for his voice, Lee has, I am told, become a regular speaker at the Montreal Society Wine Drinkers and, as the MSWD has a big hall and no PA system, this has put an inordinate strain on his vocal chords. Tragic.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1444134304' post='2880524']
My recollection is that, during the Moving Pictures tour, he turned to using Nivea soap which, whilst leaving his skin nice and soft, undermined his callouses, particularly on his 'noisemaker' finger. Historically, he had used Wright's Cold Tar soap when on tour (certainly on the 2112 and Hemisphers tours) but that was proving increasingly difficult to source in most countries, even though it was part of the band's rider. After Signals, he realised that the whole soap and callouses thing was an old wives tales and reverted to the Pears soap his mother used during his childhood in Willowdale. The impact this had on his emotional well-being was incredible and prevented the near collpase of the trio when Lifeson fell off the wagon and started smoking again.

As for his voice, Lee has, I am told, become a regular speaker at the Montreal Society Wine Drinkers and, as the MSWD has a big hall and no PA system, this has put an inordinate strain on his vocal chords. Tragic.
[/quote]

That's proper quality bobbins of a standard worthy of inclusion in a Rush tour brochure!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1444752108' post='2885624']
For heaven's sake... I've waited years for a video of this tune, and... it sounds great, but the lighting is cack. What a missed opportunity.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzcA8_EkYQ0[/media]
[/quote]

Geddy's backline looks like an early seventies Ampeg catalogue!! :lol:

Just watched Xanadu on YouTube. Until now the most recent live performance I'd seen/heard was the R30 DVD.
I'd heard a lot said about Geddy losing his voice but I hadn't realised till now just how badly. He sounds like someone doing a bad impersonation of Geddy Lee!
After watching that I can see why they might feel the need to call time on touring. For me the sad part is that Geddy loosing his voice will mean we'll also miss out on his playing.