Why become a member? ×

Daddario Prosteels/Flexsteels... difference?

Flexsteels, lower tension, louder, have quite a unique feel about them. I really like them, my string of choice at the moment. I don't know why they cost more, though...

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1431206245' post='2768861']
Flexsteels, lower tension, louder, have quite a unique feel about them. I really like them, my string of choice at the moment. I don't know why they cost more, though...
[/quote]

I haven't used them (yet), but I'd also add that on the D'Addario tone scale, they're actually a bit brighter than ProSteels.

I'm not sure about the cost aspect, but I'd assume that it reflects the engineering, the cost of materials (I understand they're using a different core wire for these strings only), and the cost to produce and ship. They are trying to introduce more premium products (like NYXL strings, and EXP strings with the NYXL steel cores), so that's also likely factored into their pricing. The idea with any brand is to have a range with small steps in quality and price between them.

Here's a link to the official D'Addario blurb - http://daddario.com/DADProductFamily.Page?ActiveID=3768&familyid=63

If you really, really want to know Andy Needham (Marketing Manager at D'Addario) is coming to the Herts Bash on 14th June - could explain it in detail - come along and find out. Elaine Smith from D'Addario is a member here.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used both, now I use Flexsteels exclusively. The best string I've ever used in 12 years of playing. Beautiful feel and tension with a real nice 'bounce' to the string. They have a crisp and bright, detailed sound and they last ages.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1433710742' post='2793349']
I've used both, now I use Flexsteels exclusively. The best string I've ever used in 12 years of playing. Beautiful feel and tension with a real nice 'bounce' to the string. They have a crisp and bright, detailed sound and they last ages.
[/quote]

Hi 40Hz, i'm using exclusively Prosteels since they were released, just heard about the Flexsteels. Could you explain your post a bit more. I would like to know how much more crisp and bright they are when compared with the Prosteels and how many months of use you're getting out of them (my Prosteels are changed every two months because i like that new string piano-like sound).
Cheers

FlexSteels are a steel core with a stainless steel wrap, ProSteels are a steel core with a steel alloy wrap. The FlexSteels also utilise a different core to wrap ratio to the ProSteels, this results in a brighter more flexible feeling string. The FlexSteels have been designed to appeal to finger style and slap players with their bright snap and deep punch.

Flexsteels are definitely brighter and last longer than Pro's. I get around 3-4 Months of very bright sound out of the Flexsteels. I've said it many a time, they are by far and away the best strings on the market IMO. Such a great feel and they really 'pop'. ( Ignore my sig, the GHS are a one-off experiment as they were dirt cheap! :D )

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1435438076' post='2808863']
Yes! I'm a fan of the FlexSteels! - I still swap between different D'Addario strings, but they seem to really suit my Fender and are great on my 6er. Big thumbs up here.
[/quote]

Funny you say that Dood as I was going to say the exact same thing. They REALLY suit my Jazz Bass. Seem to bring out the qualities I like even more so. It really sings with these strings.

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1435453109' post='2808985']
Funny you say that Dood as I was going to say the exact same thing. They REALLY suit my Jazz Bass. Seem to bring out the qualities I like even more so. It really sings with these strings.
[/quote]

Exactly that! I think it's the detail in the mid range I like. It hard to describe what I am hearing, but 'sings' is a good description!

I'm sold. I'll order a couple of FlexSteels set on my next order. They're 10€ more than the ProSteels but if the really last 3-4 months then they'll end up cheaper. I only get 2 months of bright pop from the Pros (they'll last longer if i need, i only need to keep turning up the piezo on my bass to keep the top end but that feel of new strings is another story ;) ).

Hi all. Cheers for the feedback. Much appreciated!

Andrew (D'addario UK) contacted me personally to explain a little more about the string. He thinks that they will perfect for my playing. Proof is in the tasting though, will let you all know how I get on once my Flex's arrive!

Greg.

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1435668903' post='2811173']

Andrew (D'addario UK) contacted me personally to explain a little more about the string. He thinks that they will perfect for my playing. Proof is in the tasting though, will let you all know how I get on once my Flex's arrive!

Greg.
[/quote]

Andrew is a top chap!

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1435668903' post='2811173']

Greg.
[/quote] How D'addario treat customers and people wanting information etc is second to none bloody fantastic service :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1436465485' post='2818415']
I put a set of Flexsteels on my Sandberg and I'm not getting on with the feel under my fingers.

Great sounding string, but I'm going back to Pro-Steels I think.
[/quote]

Could you explain, please?

I don't like the feel of the ProSteels the first time i use every new set, they feel too dry and harsh but at the end of the first gig they get smoother and feel way better. Could this be the case with your set of FlexSteels?