Why become a member? ×

Dilemma - Precisions

Lozz196

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1431344558' post='2770153']
The irony is that 70's vintage was considered to be not worthy until they were about 20 years old.
[/quote]

Tru dat - when I bought my 76 new I was sneered at and told the only 'proper' Fenders were pre-CBS. And to be fair, my bass sounded fairly average. But nearly 40 years later it sounds utterly fantastic... is this because it took that long to 'mature', or is it because I'm now an experienced enough player to coax a sweet tone out of it, or a bit of both? Or neither? Is it in fact merely wishful thinking? :)

Fender 60th anniversary precision - see-thru ash body, maple neck, thin nitro-type finish, light (8lbs), vintage type pickups.

If you want to stay with the 1970s, I did once have a 77 black precision with maple neck that weighed just under 8lbs, so they do exist

Tis a tricky choice. I have a 1970 precision and a 1995 precision. Though I've had the 1970 for nearly 20 years and always considered it the cooler of the two, hand on heart the 1995 is the better all rounder.

If I had to choose between them I'd be gutted - like yourself I'd be emotionally attached to the old one, but I'd know that the modern one is most likely actually the better bass as a useable gigging instrument.

Hope you manage to sort your dilemma buddy.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431347036' post='2770193']
Tru dat - when I bought my 76 new I was sneered at and told the only 'proper' Fenders were pre-CBS. And to be fair, my bass sounded fairly average. But nearly 40 years later it sounds utterly fantastic... is this because it took that long to 'mature', or is it because I'm now an experienced enough player to coax a sweet tone out of it, or a bit of both? Or neither? Is it in fact merely wishful thinking? :)
[/quote]

Hearing loss ;)

As someone with a bad back I would always go with the lighter bass and maybe try swapping pickups or even just strings. Stainless steels on a P can sound pretty aggressive.

You've got 2 things to decide.

You don't want to sell the 78. . . . . so don't.

You need the 2010 to sound better so focus on making that happen. New pickups and maybe pots/cap would transform this bass.

Then, when you haven't played the 78 for a long time, you you can decide to sell it without any pangs.

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1431416750' post='2770955']
Keep the '78!!!!!
[/quote]

Or at least put it away somewhere safe for a few years, and its value will hopefully increase...

Well thanks for all the posts peoples, given me lots to think about. Have decided that the sensible option needs to win here, so will be keeping the US Standard 2010, and getting another one as well. Regrettably the 78 will have to go as I can`t afford to keep it as well as getting another US Standard.

I`ve based this on which bass I find easier/more comfortable for me to play, which is better for my back (as that isn`t going to get any better) and of course what I`m financially able to do. Plus there`s also the point about if I have to hire another bass (as some overseas gigs being looked at) then whatever I get will more than likely sound like what I`ll currently have. I like the sound of the 2010s anyway, so I`m not sacrificing on sound here, it`s just I find the 78 a little sweeter sounding but that will soon pass.

So thanks again, your points/views have been very helpful.

Looks like, in the head v heart issue, this time sense prevailed.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431500096' post='2771864']
I'm not so sure Lozz, but then I don't have a back problem (yet). Good luck. :)
[/quote]
I'm of the same feeling, I wouldn't part with any of my older P's.
Mind you my 70 and 73 both weigh under 4kgs.

[quote name='luckman67' timestamp='1431501800' post='2771879']
Do the 2010 Precisions have the Custom Shop pickups?
[/quote]

No, just the regular ones. I did find the Custom Shop ones a bit muffled.

[quote name='buff' timestamp='1431518059' post='2772109']
Shuker Precision ?
[/quote]

Good idea, but having two would be pretty expensive.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1431418517' post='2770973']
You've got 2 things to decide.

You don't want to sell the 78. . . . . so don't.

You need the 2010 to sound better so focus on making that happen. New pickups and maybe pots/cap would transform this bass.

Then, when you haven't played the 78 for a long time, you you can decide to sell it without any pangs.
[/quote]

Pretty much what I was thinking.

I used to have an earlier P (I think 72) years back
Thing weighed a ton, sounded good, but neck was very chunky

I now have a 2008, and it's far more playable, IMHO. Lovely bass :)

Try some new pickups on your 2010

I'm not sure of your age, but I never used to bother about the weight of a bass,
and I'm discovering, as years advance
weight can become more of a factor,
And although your shoulder is fine ATM, the extra weight of the 78 may cause problems in future...

Of course, you could always keep both, mainly using your 2010
and using the 78 as backup, or at home

And hopefully, your shoulder will be fine, despite the extra weight of the older bass

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1431521337' post='2772160']
I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't conduct a 'blind' audio comparison of 15 different P-basses and pick the one that sounded best.

Oh no ... wait a minute ...
[/quote]

Yes, mine came 5th :angry:

OK, the final update, I manged to get lucky and get an 8.1lb 78 Precision. So it`s 78s all the way for me, and am going to sell off all others in my herd to pay for it. Thanks for all the comments peoples, it`s been much appreciated.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1431789307' post='2775038']
OK, the final update, I manged to get lucky and get an 8.1lb 78 Precision. So it`s 78s all the way for me, and am going to sell off all others in my herd to pay for it. Thanks for all the comments peoples, it`s been much appreciated.
[/quote]

Win win!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1431789307' post='2775038']
[/quote]

Great news :)
Enjoy your new bass