Why become a member? ×

Dilemma - Precisions

Lozz196

OK, a dilema here, I have 2 main Precisions and am really confused over which to keep/sell etc.

Number 1 - my 78 Precision. Great bass, the best recorded tone I`ve ever had (imv). Great player, weighs in at 10.6lbs - not that I`m bothered by that but it is a factor. I`ve been trying in vain to get another bass that sounds like this one, and simply can`t. I can get near, but not near enough (the Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub just bought is as near as I`ve managed). Ash bodied, gives a sweeter "twang" at the top end.

Number 2 - my 2010 US Standard Precision. Again a great bass, weighs in at 9lbs. But, and this is the killer, this bass is soooo easy to play. The sound is more modern and has a fair bit more depth to it, but without the aggressive twang of the 78 - probably the depth is due to the lack of the twang, and being made of alder rather than ash. I can easily get another Precision that sounds like this one - as all of the 2008 to 2011 ones sound like it.

So I prefer the sound of the 78, but prefer the playability of the 2010. The weight whilst I`m not bothered that much is a factor as I have a permanent shoulder injury.Additionally I need 2 basses with the same sound in case of breakages etc, and I can`t replicate the 78 - not without spending a lot of cash which I don`t really want to do. Replicating the 2010 is easy.

Head says 2010, heart says 78, can I have some opinions/views please as I really need to settle on a couple of basses as keepers.

Edited by Lozz196

Sell your back and get an upgraded version that allows you to keep both. Failing that sell the '78 if you have to sell one. You know your back will thank you for it.

After all, you like the playability and sound of the 2010 US.

I'm not sure how relevant this might be to you, but in near on 40 years of me playing bass other than breaking a string I have never had to revert to my back-up! Maybe I have just been lucky?
I'd keep both P's Lozz and not worry about trying to match the sounds too much, the chances of it being that critical are rather minimal imo.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1431258515' post='2769277']
I'm not sure how relevant this might be to you, but in near on 40 years of me playing bass other than breaking a string I have never had to revert to my back-up! Maybe I have just been lucky?
I'd keep both P's Lozz and not worry about trying to match the sounds too much, the chances of it being that critical are rather minimal imo.
[/quote]
True, if you had to swap bass at a gig the only person in the room who'd cringe at the change of tone is you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPlF--fXQ9k

[/quote]

I tend to agree with Highfox on this.

:)

But also I know that you love your 70's basses. Just to add even more confusion to the mix, how about looking for a lighter 70's P.

You know you wanted that suggestion really :lol:

Give them both to me and I'll give them both a Bass Reiki session for free.
This means I keep them for 12 months under controlled conditions in my bedroom.
Every day I pass my energy giving hands and fingers over them, including striking, plucking and twanging the strings.
In 12 months you will miss them so much you'll love them when they come back.

Edited by merello

keep them both. use the 78 for studio / recording for the tone that you love. Gig the modern more playable bass as no-one will really be able to tell the difference in sound in a live setting (they're both P Basses so will sound the same live). Get a nice comfy strap for using the heavy one in the studio etc.

If I found the bass that had THE TONE i wanted for recording then i'd never shift it on. You can always sit down or find a more comfy way of using it if you have to do a long session in the studio.

I'd also keep a light back up P Bass for gigging and leave the 78 at home (unless you don't mind having it as your backup bass at a gig)

MIJ Fender (I think they do a '75). It'll probably be alighter version of your 78 - add a KiOgon loom and decent pickups and it might just take over as your No.1. I have a similar issue with loving the sound of my p and the skinny fast neck of my jazz - I've reached the conclusion that I'll just have to keep moving between the two, but this should be enough of a distraction to stop me blowing cash on anything else!

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1431279167' post='2769548']
keep them both. use the 78 for studio / recording for the tone that you love. Gig the modern more playable bass as no-one will really be able to tell the difference in sound in a live setting (they're both P Basses so will sound the same live). Get a nice comfy strap for using the heavy one in the studio etc.

If I found the bass that had THE TONE i wanted for recording then i'd never shift it on. You can always sit down or find a more comfy way of using it if you have to do a long session in the studio.

I'd also keep a light back up P Bass for gigging and leave the 78 at home (unless you don't mind having it as your backup bass at a gig)
[/quote]

This this and this!
/thread.

Some good suggestions already about how you could manage both.

Personally I think you've highlighted exactly why you shouldn't sell the '78. It sounds better, and would be very difficult to replace/replicate.

Your 2010 is the reverse. It would much easier to procure something from a similar era that will deliver the same goods should you change your mind at a later date.

Lozz. If you remember playing my old Ash 77', that had a great bright tone (though it had an SPB-1 in it) and it was in the 8-9lb mark. I suggest selling the 78' and looking for a lighter vintage P. Don't muck around with your injury because of an unnecessarily light bass. You only have one body.

I'm with the people saying to work within your circumstances. If the 78 is too heavy for regular use - I'd shift it, unless there's a very good reason not to.

I think the tone thing might sway me if it was being used for recording fairly regularly. But otherwise I'd try to have a pickup & electronic wizard copy the exact hardware of the bass - and try to make a much lighter version of the bass. A good custom pickup & wiring loom might get the 2010 P on the same level soundwise as the 78.

I have a '78 Precision and it is heavy like your bass. The irony is that 70's vintage was considered to be not worthy until they were about 20 years old. Now I could sell that bass for almost $1500, or triple what it cost new! I like my Highway One more but it is just an ordinary tone. The recent American Special are lighter on your back...

[/quote]

This (again). If I take a backup, I may use it just for a change, but I never rely on it being identical to the 'main' instrument.

Live - 2010
Studio - 1978