Why become a member? ×

Pedaltrain...an alternative.

NancyJohnson

I've had a Pedaltrain Mini for a while...it was sufficient for those gigs where I was using someone else's gear and needed the convenience of hearing my tone through someone else's kit. As the months have rolled on, I've been adding to the stompboxes I have, the Mini has become too small and I'm looking at something new. Of the new Pedaltrain stuff, I'm only really taken with the Metro24 (24x8x1.4") but it's not available here (yet) and doesn't seem likely to be here for a while either.

I mentioned this to someone at Sam Ash in the US a few days ago and he said to look at a Canadian company called Temple Boards [url="http://templeboards.com"]http://templeboards.com[/url]. One thing I love about these boards is there's an option of no more Velcro, using a quick release mechanism. OK, you need to attach a mounting bracket to each pedal (with double sided tape), but then the pedal can be located anywhere on the board then attached with a thumbscrew. Different options as well for power and output.

Looks decent enough.
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

They do look really nice and the fixing system looks great. Looking at the UK site though they don't seem too easily available - no stock at all listed - and by the time you've added the fixings and maybe a bag they aren't cheap......

I use one of these [url="http://charliespedalboard.com/?ckattempt=1"]http://charliespedalboard.com/?ckattempt=1[/url] and think that, for the money, they are excellent. Built in riser and room for about 8 standard size pedals with a power supply underneath. Recommended.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1431357190' post='2770399']
I've given the UK distributor a call...left a message on the answering machine. Looks like it's a private house though!
[/quote]

Looks like a cottage industry distributor for the UK. And possibly hasn't actually bought any stock yet too.

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1431356076' post='2770380']
They do look really nice and the fixing system looks great. Looking at the UK site though they don't seem too easily available - no stock at all listed - and by the time you've added the fixings and maybe a bag they aren't cheap......

I use one of these [url="http://charliespedalboard.com/?ckattempt=1"]http://charliespedal...om/?ckattempt=1[/url] and think that, for the money, they are excellent. Built in riser and room for about 8 standard size pedals with a power supply underneath. Recommended.
[/quote]

i use a charlies board too! very well made and sturdy boards

andy

• 3 weeks later...

Really like the concept, specially the option to customize the side panels with a parch panel, power inlet, etc...

The US website has more options like the hardcases which are Pelican (nice touch).

Guest FretNoMore

Sorry to be "that guy", but ... I like everything about these boards - except for their mounting system which I think is an overengineered solution for a problem that doesn't really exist. :) Nothing "quick release" about going under the board to move or replace a pedal, expensive to buy plates for all pedals, restrictive in terms of exact placement on a packed board, and can a pedal be used separately on the floor with the mounting plate attached? I do like the looks and the patch panels and I would use this board, but I'd skip the mounting plates and use plain old Velcro instead.

I think my only misgiving with the mounting system would be whether the adhesive backing fails at some future date. I'm not a big stamper and think the 'solution', is pretty nice.

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1433228067' post='2788988']
Sorry to be "that guy", but ... I like everything about these boards - except for their mounting system which I think is an overengineered solution for a problem that doesn't really exist. :) Nothing "quick release" about going under the board to move or replace a pedal, expensive to buy plates for all pedals, restrictive in terms of exact placement on a packed board, and can a pedal be used separately on the floor with the mounting plate attached? I do like the looks and the patch panels and I would use this board, but I'd skip the mounting plates and use plain old Velcro instead.
[/quote]

I kind of like the idea, but the smallest board, with a case and 6 of their pedal mounting things is £130. The equivalent sized pedaltrain with velcro and case is £59. Velcro is fine for me, over 100 gigs on my pedaltrain mini and a pedal has never moved in the slightest, despite re-ordering my board every week.

I think these metal boards are quite elegant, but very expensive - and as has been said, appear to be quite limiting RE placement.

It's always nice to see newcomers to the field, but I think Pedaltrain have this sewn up at the moment.
The Pedaldecks guys above look interesting, but again, probably a third of the size choices that Pedaltrain offer. Great to buy 'British' if they have the size you want, but if not?

Si

I've just ordered a Warwick Rockboards Solo, they essentially look exactly like Pedaltrain Nano, but for a few pound less. I'm assuming exactly same factory etc.

Will report back, I also have a Pedaltrain Nano that I can compare it directly to.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1433419417' post='2790893']
I've just ordered a Warwick Rockboards Solo, they essentially look exactly like Pedaltrain Nano, but for a few pound less. I'm assuming exactly same factory etc.

Will report back, I also have a Pedaltrain Nano that I can compare it directly to.

Si
[/quote]

Have been tempted by these, will be interested to see your review.

The pedaldecks look good but the cases are too expensive and unless you can beat pedaltrain on price I think you're going to struggle.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1433419417' post='2790893']

Si
[/quote]

Just seen them online... they look like re-branded Pedaltrains for a fraction of the price (GOOD).

Keep us posted Si, as they could be "the alternative".

So, it's clearly from the same factory.
The bag is exactly the same, however the PT is a tiny but more substantial, chunkier feet and slightly thicker frame.
That said, at this size, I can't imagine that making any difference.
PT is on the left, Warwick on the right:

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/2qxmh50.jpg[/IMG]

I purchased this from Hot Rox, Thomann was marginally cheaper but big-up Hot Rox.

Si