Why become a member? ×

Grub screw for USA P bass volume knob?

JJJack

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got some knobs :rolleyes: don't have a thread guage but if the screw head is slotted I suspect they're imperial, if hex socket then metric.

It's not easy to get replacement screws - without the knob :P

[quote name='JJJack' timestamp='1437062028' post='2823309']
That's an idea, but I don't know if the threads are metric or imperial. I thought there might be someone who knew these intricacies.
[/quote]
A bit of a guess..... Just removed some knobs from my MIM P. The screws have a 'US imperial' look about them - coarser than metric. Diameter is around 4mm and length a little over 4mm, with about 5 full turns of thread. So my guess is UNC 32 TPI. Metric screws have a finer thread (and are found on Squier)
the thread size looks identical to the bridge intonation screws used on Fender. Squier are metric.
If you buy knobs in the UK they will very likely be metric M4 set screws and may be slotted also.

I can confirm the screw in my Fender knob is 32 TPI - I borrowed a thread gauge at work. It may be the same or very similar to 5/32" BSW. The pitch is identical and the diameter very close. The reason I say this is 5/32" BSW is the thread used in Meccano sets, so if ever you have one or if hobby shops sell spares - worth a try! But the recessed hex types would be more reliable and less likley to come loose.

• 3 weeks later...