Why become a member? ×

Nano POG vs Behringer Ultra Harmonist... Behringer wins!?

1976fenderhead

So, I had the Behringer (not a big fan of the octave up tone but got some good sounds with a Muff on top) and I got the new Nano POG... Never played a POG before and was sure it would rock, since Royal Blood etc etc... I AB'd them and... I prefer the Behringer! :-O

As for tone, they're very different but I couldn't decide which had the better sounding octave up... probably the POG but so slightly that it doesn't warrant the 10x price tag of the Behringer...

But what killed it for me was the octave up delay... There's a very noticeable delay with the POG while the octave up with the Behringer is absolutely immediate! I'm wondering if it's a problem with the new algorithm of the Nano or if the other POGs are the same???

The additional consequence of this delay is that whenever I put the octave up loud enough to be well heard (from 11o'c minimum) it would create this added reverb/echo effect due to the disparity in the attacks... However, with the Behringer, no such problem: straight up 2 clear simultaneous notes.

Anyone else has this experience with the other POGs? I'm so impressed with the Behringer that I've ordered the original to check it out (Boss) and will also try the new MO-2 which I'm curious about... The Nano POG is going back to the store in a couple of days and my long-running POG gas is dead and buried :-/

Yeah was always impressed with the Micro-Pog, that said, I haven't heard the Nano, like you said....new algorithm might have messed things up? Interesting.
I had the Boss PS-6 (Harmonist), wasn't that impressed with it I have to say....maybe you'll like it :)

Si

Uh oh... This worries me. I have the US600 to add a 5th to my wet octave up from the Nano (which I chose as it's a single pedal which allows you to keep a separate dry). The Nano hasn't arrived yet, but has been ordered through my local store. I'll be pretty gutted if there is latency between dry and wet signal, as that kinda defeats the point of it in my opinion.

This wasn't at all apparent in the videos I slathered over, and will be a real shame if it is a feature.

The Pitchfork is apparently another very good pitch shifter.

Of course; I will be fastidious in my testing. Ruthless in fact. Perhaps a multi-loop pedal and another pitch shifter would be more appropriate and flexible after all. Or maybe after I've walloped an additional 5th on the Nano's octave up and overdriven or distorted it, the latency between clean bass and mangled 'guitar' won't be noticeable, and might actually add a cool reverby feel. Who knows...

Unfortunately this won't be for several weeks yet as I'm working away, which gives me plenty of time to wallow in all of the worst case scenarios.

[quote name='ben4343' timestamp='1431419338' post='2770985']
The Pitchfork is apparently another very good pitch shifter.
[/quote]

I've just been playing with the Pitch Fork at home, also AB'd with the Behringer, and the Pitch Fork faired excellently! I no longer have the Nano POG at home, but against the Behringer I could notice no delay with the Pitch Fork and the octave up sound was noticeably better than the Behringer's which was wharbly by comparison. The Pitch Fork is also super versatile and fun, so it annihilates the Nano POG in my opinion, only thing against it being the lack of dry/wet outputs and that once you mix in the wet signal it adds volume to the existing dry signal and there's no overall volume control, but that's not a big deal for me.

Finding really weird that there's a delay in the Nano POG considering an older pedal like the Pitch Fork doesn't have that problem... Maybe they effed up the algorithm in the Nano or I had an early dodgy unit...

Tomorrow I'll AB the Pitch Fork against the PS6 and see what happens but this pedal seems like a keeper.

Edited by 1976fenderhead