Why become a member? ×

Gibson SG Bass neck pickup

I like the TB neck pickup of my Gibson SG bass (great modern pickup), but I'm toying with a Sidewinder / Mudbucker as I like that kind of sound. I've got an Artec sitting in my parts bin, and I have seen the Novak custom jobs, but both of these would require a degree of routing to fit the SG bass. Do people think it's worth the bother, or does anyone know of a sidewinder that's a few mm more skinny and fits the current TB route?

Not entirely related, but I changed the "TB+ masquerading as mudbucker" in my Midtown Standard for a DiMarzio Model One. It required enlarging of the pickup route, about 5mm each side. I did it carefully with a chisel. I was pleased with the change. Not only is it a nice sounding pickup, being a 4 wire humbucker, it gave me the option of series/parallel which I operate with a push/push on the volume.

Dunno any that fit in the TB+ hole I'm afraid. It's probably smaller than all of them.

Thanks for the DiMarzio thumbs up...do you like it over the TB+, or are they similar sounding in non-tap mode? I like the idea of options. In an idea world I'd love a TB+ sized kind of Sidewinder/Mudbucker, with a coil split perhaps that would allow me to either have it as a full on beast, or a kind of half output to perhaps make it more usable with the more normal output bridge mini-bucker. I guess the only option I have for that is go the way of the router, drop in the Artec, but tap the artec and connect to a push/pull on one of the pots.