Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Guitar cutting out

cheddatom

[size=4][font=arial, sans-serif]My mate's Yamaha acoustic keeps cutting out. When you pull the jack out and plug it back in, it's fine again. When it happens appears totally random. So far we've tried replacing the socket, and changing jack leads. Anyone got any ideas?[/font][/size]

Edited by cheddatom

Sorry, I tried to sort out the text, has it worked?

Earthing... well, all wires are connected up, and it's a new jack socket. When it cuts out, it doesn't go to a buzz or anything like that, it just cuts out. What should we be looking for with regard to earthing?

it is active, yes, but the circuit board is nowhere near the jack socket, it's on the upper shoulder (which I think is standard?) so I wouldn't have thought a dodgy connection on the pre-amp would be doing it, is that what you meant?

I know turning computers off and on often fixes them, but an analogue pre-amp?! Weird!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1431435968' post='2771300']
it is active, yes, but the circuit board is nowhere near the jack socket, it's on the upper shoulder (which I think is standard?) so I wouldn't have thought a dodgy connection on the pre-amp would be doing it, is that what you meant?

I know turning computers off and on often fixes them, but an analogue pre-amp?! Weird!
[/quote]
Reason o mentioned it , was that the problem sounds exactly like had with my Washburn status.T he only difference being you haven't received police radio or French radio stations like I did ;)

no, no interference or noise of any sort, the preamp is great, it just cuts out randomly. It can be fine for weeks, then it suddenly goes silent. Take the cable out, put it back in, and it works again

It'd be OK except if you do that in the middle of a song without telling the soundman he doesn't like it

Just had a similar problem with my mates electro acoust ic 12 string. (last night)

Turned out to be the jack socket. the part of the socket that connected to the sleeve of the jack plug had bent a little with use, over time.

On close examination it was not touching the sleeve but just resting on the insulator between tip and sleeve.

well he replaced the socket for the 3rd time at the weekend, all seemed well, then it happened again during the first song of our set.

The pre-amp was replaced about a year ago, and the problem was happening before and continues (it was replaced due to a snapped pot shaft, you can't get them individually)

I did suspect the jack cables he had might not fight the socket correctly, but we've tried every combination now

So, absolutely stumped. The only electronic parts that haven't been touched are the battery compartment and the pickup.Once it cuts out, you take the jack and, put it back in, and it works straight away. If it was an intermittent fault on the battery compartment, then you'd have to move something close to the battery compartment in order for it to start working again

I'm so baffled

we tried it last night and it didn't cut out once. This doesn't necessarily mean it's fixed, but another few rehearsals and gigs with this cable would convince me.

So what's the explanation? The jack just goes into the socket a little further?

Just a random thought,and probably miles off.Could the trouble be at the other end of the cable?Is it always plugged into the same input on the amp/desk.Could there be a fault there?Give it a wiggle down there next time,or try another input.The angled jack could be just coincidence.Like I said,probably miles off,but hey....

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1432021363' post='2777238']
we tried it last night and it didn't cut out once. This doesn't necessarily mean it's fixed, but another few rehearsals and gigs with this cable would convince me.

So what's the explanation? The jack just goes into the socket a little further?
[/quote]
I had a jack problem( same as yours), with my steinberger. It was fixed eventually . Then, one day , while playing sitting down, I realised the lead was sticking out. I got a different lead, same as dads above - problem solved.

We've all assumed (I presume..?) that the jack lead is looped through the strap to take strain off the socket, but even then, a 'straight' jack can work its way loose, just by the weight of cable. The right-angled jacks solve this, for the most part, and I would recommend 'em for all except 'strat'-type jack plates. I have the same at the amp end, too, which reduces the risk of the jack being pulled out. That may not be the cause of your worries, but it won't harm to adopt angled jacks, anyway. There's not much downside. My cables were made by our OBBM expert, so will last at least my lifetime.

yes he does loop it round his strap

I've always used straight jacks with my basses, which have the same stereo barrel type jack as in his yamaha acoustic. I've never experienced anything like this!

Anyway, I'll give it a few gigs (3 this weekend!) and then report back