Why become a member? ×

What amp to pair with a Gibson SG Bass?

ValveWorrier

I've just satisfied a several year itch...to get a Gibson SG bass! This is the first bass I've had in many years as I've mostly played guitar in groups, and thus I currently don't even have an amp to play it through. I know I want a combo, or small head and cab for space and portability, and I'd like enough wattage for small gigs and band pracs etc. (I guess 200 - 500w)...and ideally I'd like something £500 or so, but more than that I'm not sure. I have no real idea whether to try 10, 12 16 or 18" speakers. A bit of googling tells me that Ashdown do a nice selection of Rootmasters in several variations. Any suggestions, or am I heading down the right path anyway?

What sound do you want? Are you heading for the Jack Bruce / Andy Fraser sound. I suggest trying it with plenty of amp / cab combinations. Power amp (e.g. Peavey IPR 2000 £248) combined with Tech 21 VT deluxe would be an interesting alternative starting point.

The sensible thing to do, would be to grab your bass & go to a place with lots of different rigs that you can try.

Failing that, you need an Ampeg SVT & 2 8x10 cabs if you're to be taken seriously. :P

Stating where you are will help in your quest. There are many BCers who will offer you the chance to try your SG bass through various amps / cabs. I would - Mid Wales is in the middle of nowhere (long may it be that way).

Cheers folks...loving the SVT comment by the way :D Actually you have just opened my eyes a little. Being mostly a six-stringer, and a general Luddite all round, I'm used to quite old fashioned setups (axe-couple of pedals-valve amp-speakers), so my first thought was a combo flexible enough to cover a number of sounds and situations passably, and small enough to chuck in car and not annoy the missis too much in the front room. Perhaps though my new-found conversion to bass might be time to try the Tech 21 route, or something similar. I do like the Bruce / Fraser thang, but I'd like to have a bit of flexibility for a number of styles rather than a superb rock rig that's more a one-trick-pony. Mostly because I only have the one bass and this will be my one amp set up for now, so don't want to be too limited if possible. I'm in Suffolk, by the way!

If you're wanting a flexible rig, then you might want to consider getting something as transparent as possible & use pedals to get the sound you want.
Going on my own experience, Markbass combos are very clean sounding & have quite a good EQ/filter section. I then used pedals to get the sounds I wanted.
There's a few on here done similar. Rather than carry some old valve job, they've went for a valve preamp pedal (such as as a Tech 21SansAmp) & put it through a more transparent sounding rig.

[quote name='ValveWorrier' timestamp='1431519020' post='2772124']
Cheers folks...loving the SVT comment by the way :D Actually you have just opened my eyes a little. Being mostly a six-stringer, and a general Luddite all round, I'm used to quite old fashioned setups (axe-couple of pedals-valve amp-speakers), so my first thought was a combo flexible enough to cover a number of sounds and situations passably, and small enough to chuck in car and not annoy the missis too much in the front room. Perhaps though my new-found conversion to bass might be time to try the Tech 21 route, or something similar. I do like the Bruce / Fraser thang, but I'd like to have a bit of flexibility for a number of styles rather than a superb rock rig that's more a one-trick-pony. Mostly because I only have the one bass and this will be my one amp set up for now, so don't want to be too limited if possible. I'm in Suffolk, by the way!
[/quote]

The only advantage of the SG bass is that it shouldn't be a big stretch for a gtr player..
Sound-wise, I think it will be pretty one dimensional...and I'd be wary of overdriving the sound too much.

I was going to offer up an Ampeg PortaFlex solution, but I've heard an Ampeg micro rig and that wasn't nice..
and it wouldn't be versatile, IMV.

I guess what I'm saying is ...think again on the SG..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1431543940' post='2772499']
The only advantage of the SG bass is that it shouldn't be a big stretch for a gtr player..
Sound-wise, I think it will be pretty one dimensional...and I'd be wary of overdriving the sound too much.
[/quote]

But what a dimension :) and the short scale thing certainly makes me play differently (whether it is any better is open to debate!)

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1431545590' post='2772528']
But what a dimension :) and the short scale thing certainly makes me play differently (whether it is any better is open to debate!)
[/quote]

Not my thing, but my post was taking into account the OP talked about flexibility in sound and style, which isn't something I'd put at the door of an SG :lol: :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1431629050' post='2773448']
Not my thing, but my post was taking into account the OP talked about flexibility in sound and style, which isn't something I'd put at the door of an SG :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Perfectly flexible - you just need to change strings to get the sound you want- this can be a bit tedious between numbers at a gig :lol:

Edited by 3below

Thanks folks...there's a good selection to really get me thinking here! I started off thinking small-scale combo so things like the Rumble fitted will with that first thought. They're obviously popular as most places I looked had tem on backorder! The transparent amp and pedal option sounds a good all rounder, and in fact closely mirrors what I used to do with guitar rigs until about five years ago, when I built a couple of valve amps to my taste and minimised the pedals. Not sure I want to get into carrying too many FX though. Oh, and thanks to the couple of you who suggested valve options...you know my weakness!!! Cheers..I now have major "AAS" (that's amp acquisition syndrome)!!! Slightly out of my size and cost brief perhaps :D. Thing is I'm not convinced I can get gig volumes from a small valve package...mind you, I only use my home build AC30s and 18w amps for gigging guitar, so am I falsely concerned?!

Just a short word on me and the SG bass...I've had J, P, and Thunderbirds in the past, and actually whilst the SG doesn't sound at all Fender like, and the E-string has the short scale flap, I can get a surprising range out of it with pickup selection, right hand position and style, and my crappy borrowed Crate combo, so I don't feel limited for what I need. Yes, it's not a presence-rich funky treblemeister, but I can get decent brighter tones out of the mini-bucker with EQ and comp'. Bit like with my Gibbo vs Fender guitars...I'd never say my Strat is more versatile than my SG for my needs. Although I concede that if you like whammy-bombing the SG's Bigsby won't cut it! Haha!!!

[quote name='ValveWorrier' timestamp='1431950639' post='2776459']
I've got the roundwounds on it that I think came with the guitar...but I do have some 45-105 short scale flats I'm going to try once my Hipshot bridge arrives. Hopefully the Hipshot will also cure the bridge saddle silk winding overlap issue.
[/quote]

It did on mine. With the Hipshot saddles the lock screw will stick up slightly and 'snags' on your hand (unless you are lucky). I put the lock screws in from underneath the saddles which sorted this issue. I also mailed Hipshot about the issue with suggestions about how to fix the problem.

Ah, I see...that's reassuring that with a bit of fettling it makes a realistic improvement. Wasn't sure whether flats or rounds worked best for this kind of guitar...but I prefer flats from a playing point of view generally so thought I'd give them a shot.

Although a full valve set up is probably out of my budget for this year, I've noticed that Bugera do a sort of Ampeg-based model called the BVV3000 Infinium...they sound great for the money...anyone tried one with a short-scale like mine?

[quote name='mazdah' timestamp='1431683078' post='2773883']
I would say: all valve!

Ashdown LB30 or CTM30 with VS212 or 112 cab.

This bass needs valves!
[/quote]

+1
I have a long-scale Epi SG - so a bit of a different beast, but it drives both my LB30 and my CTM100 rather nicely (going into a Laney 1x15). This assumes you're happy with a certain amount of thick valve grit, of course!

Hmmm...you know all the words I like. Namely "Thick valve grit" Hahaha :D

Common sense and frugal practicality tell me I should continue along my original brief (portable, inexpensive and flexible), but my terrible luddite valve love is telling me to check out a Bugera BVV3000, and hunt about to see just how cheap I can pick one up in a vague effort to justify to myself that I can still bring in one on the original budget.

• 2 weeks later...