Why become a member? ×

Compressors with bass, is it really that necessary?

RustInPeace90

Hey guys and gals,

I've recently sold my DBX1066 compressor from my bass rig and was looking around at something else to replace it with but this got me thinking, is a compressor really that necessary?

As it now stands, my chain would be Bass (Passive Precision or Active Jackson CMG) in to a Korg DTR1000 -> Sansamp RBI then off in an Ampeg B2R. I have yet to gig with out the compressor and I have a show this weekend where i'll be using my rig for the first time without the compressor in it so obviously i'll be able to tell a bit more whether or not i'm missing it after that.

In all honesty though, i don't think it's going to make much of a difference as I always ran the output a 0 on it so it wasn't like it was boosting the output and i only really used "light" compression which in a metal band, really didn't seem to make much difference.

I gigged for years without it and only really starting using a compressor in the last year/18 months. Even then i haven't used it for every gig, sometimes i've turned up with just a sansamp to run straight in to the PA or the supplied amp at the venue.

So, please do discuss below. Nothing nasty yada yada...

It sounds like you couldn't tell it was on when you were using it, so you must have set it very subtly. In that case, there really is no point, as long as your rig has plenty of headroom

I like to get a bit squishy with compressors sometimes, which is obviously more of an effect than a necessary thing

The limiter I use really is necessary as my rig isn't very loud and so it helps to give more headroom before distortion

I`ve used compressors in the past and they`ve - to me at least - tidied up the sound. But I`ve been gigging a lot with many named bands on the punk circuit recently and none of those bands have used compression at all, just plugged into the amps and played. And sounded great as well. I think it`s one of those things where, match it to the genre, I`m sure for some genres it`s essential.

Yeah it really was a case of it was so subtle it really wasn't all that much of a difference.

Usually in my bands set, i play the first song with a pick but the rest of the set with fingers. Hard hitting the whole way through apart from one "calm" section in a song where i basically wipe the string with my thumb haha.

The Sansamp is ALWAYS on no matter what, it helps cut through the heavy drums and the guitarist's (ego) amp. Without sounding like a snob, i've set my bass up well enough to have even volume between all 4 strings so it wasn't really used to do that sort of job. In fact, i don't actually know why I ever had a compressor in my rig...

A producer friend of mind who i spoke to yesterday said he usually advises against compressors for live use on bass as the cabinet usually compresses sound quite a lot as does the Sansamp's distortion/overdrive when you use that.

Only you can say if you need a compressor. I don't use one. I doubt anyone in the pub would know if there was a compressor on unless used heavily.
Even when I was using a lot of fx, there wasn't a compressor on my board.

If you're struggling with the EA & DG strings, then adjust the string & pickup height or take it to someone who knows what they're doing.
If you find the song with the pick is louder on the bass than the songs with fingers, there's a small dial on your bass that is sometimes labelled "Vol".
In the studio is a different matter.

I like having a compressor I change my dynamics quite a lot over the course of a song and don't really want a massive change in volume. I could manually turn down but that is a faff. Usually the guitarists I play with are going through small valve amps that squash like mad too.

If my playing was untidy it would be because I wanted it like that.

Usually it isn't so I don't see the need for a gadget to take the dynamics out of my playing.

To the OP, I'd gig without a compressor for a coupe of months, then you can gauge what the difference does for your sound.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1431778451' post='2774874']
I'm sure engrs
have their own ideas for their mix
[/quote]

I would be very surprised if they didn't compress and limit bass output purely so they don't accidentally blow the speakers! When they say; 'play as loud as you're going to during the set' that is probably just what they are doing.

You're all making very very good points. A compressor is seeming more and more pointless to me every minute. I have the ability to pluck hard or soft when needed and have an overdrive running which as people say, compresses the signal somewhat anyway. I'm gigging tonight for the Bloodstock Metal To The Masses Semi Finals (god i hope we win) so i'll be trying it for the first time without a compressor. Bass, tuner, sansamp, ampeg! Good stuff!

Now my question is, what do i fill the spare gap with? A decent wireless? A multi effects unit like the Lexicon MPX200 or Behringer DSP2024 (more likely as i like Chorus and Phase a lot). I can't just leave it empty now ;)

I'd Sellotape a brick in the place where the compressor was.

Seriously though, if you're in a competition as you described, I'd leave everything as it is. This is the wrong time to be altering your sound when you need to be focusing on the important thing. . . winning.

Experiment with your sound at a less critical time.

[quote name='RustInPeace90' timestamp='1431781126' post='2774931']...
Now my question is, what do i fill the spare gap with? A decent wireless? A multi effects unit like the Lexicon MPX200 or Behringer DSP2024 (more likely as i like Chorus and Phase a lot). I can't just leave it empty now ;)
[/quote]

A blanking plate with ventilation slots..? :mellow:

[quote name='Old_Ben' timestamp='1431780194' post='2774912']
I would be very surprised if they didn't compress and limit bass output purely so they don't accidentally blow the speakers! When they say; 'play as loud as you're going to during the set' that is probably just what they are doing.
[/quote]

Sure..what I mean is I don't want one for me... but I accept they'll see their mix differently..

Compression does what it says on the tin, imo, same as distortion, phase or flanging. Some use it, some don't. Some want a light check on 'accidental' changes in dynamic, some want the effect much more pronounced, deliberately. Some have it always on, some switch it, and some use none at all. I don't understand this impression of disdain, as if using this was somehow 'not good', or whatever. I like to play clean, so use no pedals at all, even less a distortion pedal. I'd have absolutely no use for such. There are many that rely on these, and other, effects, for their game. So..? We're all different, that's all, or are we..? What's so special or sacrosanct about compression..? If it improves one's perceived sound, what's the problem..? Strange allergy from some, it seems to me. :rolleyes:

I run an Avid Eleven Rack and use the tube modelled bass heads mostly. I did have a comp in the chain but with the overdrive I generally have on I couldn't discern a big benefit. Removing it from the 'clean' settings did allow me to vary the dynamics more to emphasise notes.

Matter of taste.

Some basses compress the highs because of the woods used e.g. Warwick Thumb. Others don't.

If you decide that you need compression then you can attempt to add a valve somewhere along the signal chain for the lightest of touches e.g. Avalon U5 DI.

[size=4]Or use a compressor. Then there's the decision about how much compression and which band - e.g. Trace Elliot Dual Comp or EBS Hexacomp. And then, if you decide to go full comp of all bandwidth, some do it more attractively than others...[/size]

[size=4]Get out there and see what works for you. Sometimes a multi effects unit like the Zoom B3 can give a flavour of what to expect. [/size]

Keeley compressor is the only pedal that has held its place on my board for the last 8 years or so, whether playing bass or guitar. It's not on all the time, but I do use it a lot and for different purposes. Sometimes it's just about maintaining a particular place in the mix. Sometimes it's full squish for some funky hip-hop style. Sometimes it tames spikes on a wah. Sometimes it cleans and tightens signal going into a synth. Sometimes it maintains the bottom and presence in front of a dirt pedal. Sometimes it's just improving the tone of my signal. Sometimes it's adding boost and creating it's own slightly dirty valve like squish. It is always the most useful tool in my box and only impedes my dynamics when I want it to. Can't imagine not having one to hand.