Why become a member? ×

Taking interest in double bass

Hi guys and gals. I'm in need of some advice.

I'm taking an interest into playing double bass recently. Never played or owned one before. I'm looking into buying an entry level one but I'm hesitating that if I don't get on with it that I may have trouble moving the instrument and it well end up taking space around the house. Any advice on what to buy or consider?

Thanks!

I don't understand "don't get on with it" ;-)
Initially, it will seem daunting, maybe even impossible but the moment you get your first proper note out of a double bass you will wonder why you wasted your life on those skinny little planky things.
You are right to be worried about selling your first bass on - about 7 months into your double bass journey you will start obsessing about carved tops and ebony fingerboards and pickups and gut strings and preamps...

OK, joking aside- let's start at the beginning.
1) What's your budget?
2) What kind of music will you be playing?

Hiring is a really good idea - they are hard instruments to buy, because they are all so different, and hiring allows you to build a bit of technique and knowledge so that you can buy one from a more informed perspective.

You could take a couple of lessons with a double bass tutor - look for one who plays the type of music you're interested in. That way, you can get safely addicted, get some valuable advice, and have someone to take with you when you go to buy one of your own.

If you tell us your location, you may have a friendly bcer nearby who would give you a few pointers.

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1431500256' post='2771866']
You could take a couple of lessons with a double bass tutor - look for one who plays the type of music you're interested in. That way, you can get safely addicted, get some valuable advice, and have someone to take with you when you go to buy one of your own.

If you tell us your location, you may have a friendly bcer nearby who would give you a few pointers.
[/quote]

<< Definitely this. :)

[quote name='nugget' timestamp='1431683089' post='2773884']
Come have a go on mine, I live in worcester
[/quote]

What a kind BC'er :)
I would invite you to have a go on mine, if you're ever a bit further south (I'm in South Wales)

I think the option of hiring one might be a good way forward
However, that may not be possible, depending on who hires them in your neck of the woods

My 1st foray into the wonderful world of DB, was the purchase, for a very reasonable sum
of a Stagg EUB. However - EUB's, although they look like DB's are a tad different

You can pick up a second-hand Stagg for a very reasonable amount of money
and if you don't get on with it, or decide to upgrade, you'll pretty much get your money back

After playing the Stagg a while, I wanted a "proper" acoustic DB, and found there weren't many for sale in my neck of the woods.
I was lucky to meet Sarah Thomas, who sold me a lovely DB
I've upgraded both bass and EUB since, and I have to say, I'm smitten :)

Although I currently play more Bass Guitar than I do DB (due to the bands I'm in nowadays)
I love DB - there's nothing quite like it.
You may need to be patient, and defo get some lessons
and don't try to play exactly the same basslines as you do on BG
Certainly initially anyway

Good luck in your quest
Enjoy the journey, and let us know what you decide :)

Been playing for 2 years and definitely wish that I had had some lessons but no one around here. Geoff Chalmers was a saviour. I have just started basic arco techniques (bowing) and have realised that I should have done this right at the beginning. It has taught me so much about left hand positioning, posture and tuning which can immediately be used in plucking. Not to mention the head turning sound that is produced. I have a quarter size DB...which I always wanted but sort of wished that I had bought the real thing. There are advantages in the small bodied......it is quiet so I can play for hours on end using headphones...transportation is easy....storage is a dream..... I still don't know how to go about getting the real thing though.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1431781496' post='2774934']
Been playing for 2 years and definitely wish that I had had some lessons but no one around here. Geoff Chalmers was a saviour. I have just started basic arco techniques (bowing) and have realised that I should have done this right at the beginning. It has taught me so much about left hand positioning, posture and tuning which can immediately be used in plucking. Not to mention the head turning sound that is produced. I have a quarter size DB...which I always wanted but sort of wished that I had bought the real thing. There are advantages in the small bodied......it is quiet so I can play for hours on end using headphones...transportation is easy....storage is a dream..... I still don't know how to go about getting the real thing though.
[/quote]

Tutors in Edinburgh or Glasgow? I had my first lesson (I had'nt even held one at that point, never mind bought one) in Edinburgh and I know there are a couple of peeps there. I won't pass on the name because it was a good few years ago and I don't know if the guy is teaching now.

I'm sure someone on here can point you in the right direction. A teacher can help you buy as well.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1431781496' post='2774934']
Been playing for 2 years and definitely wish that I had had some lessons but no one around here.[/quote]

Jennifer Clark in Glasgow is an excellent bass tutor. She is a member here but I haven't seen her online for a while. Her username is Endorka or her website is here:

[url="http://www.jenclarkmusic.com/bass-guitar-double-tuition-lessons-glasgow.shtml"]http://www.jenclarkmusic.com/bass-guitar-double-tuition-lessons-glasgow.shtml[/url]

I had some lessons with her a few years ago that really helped me out.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1431962886' post='2776647']
Jennifer Clark in Glasgow is an excellent bass tutor. She is a member here but I haven't seen her online for a while. Her username is Endorka or her website is here:

[url="http://www.jenclarkmusic.com/bass-guitar-double-tuition-lessons-glasgow.shtml"]http://www.jenclarkm...s-glasgow.shtml[/url]

I had some lessons with her a few years ago that really helped me out.
[/quote]Looks very interesting. Thanks