Why become a member? ×

Mic for recording a guitar amp

ras52

I'm preparing for a session recording a guitarist. I thought he had an SM57 and we'd use that, but it turns out it's an SM58. I know that the SM57 is the "classic" mic for this application.

At the moment my modest setup only has a Rode NT1A condenser mic, so a dynamic mic would be a useful addition, but before I rush out and buy an SM57 I thought I'd pick your brains about the relative merits of the SM57 v SM58 for recording amps...

[quote name='Old_Ben' timestamp='1431622501' post='2773351']
use all the mics and see which sounds best on the day! there is no rule saying a 57 has to record a guitar!
[/quote]
[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1431678366' post='2773825']
this. there are no rules to microphones and mic placement. put them all up and see which sounds best.
[/quote]

Agreed. I was wondering if it was worth buying an SM57 as I didn't have a decent dynamic mic.... and I decided it was, so I did :) So we'll have the choice of the SM57, SM58 and the condenser.

Also, I just found this: http://shureblog.co.uk/faq-whats-the-difference-between-the-sm58-and-the-sm57/#.VVWy5vlVhBc and this https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/55747-sm57-vs-sm58.html.

Edited by ras52

I've used an old AKG D190e for guitar cabs..

They look like something from a TOTP session from the early '80s but sound lovely on instruments. They do sound a little different than a '57 but I'd be happy to take one anywhere. Can be had cheaply from that auction site too..

I had a pair of D190Es "back in the day" when I had a Fostex X-15! Pretty much everything (except a big box of cables) got moved on when I took a long break from music.

Anyway... I did buy an SM57, and used it yesterday to record a mighty Marshall. Tried a couple of positions, went for 1" from the grille right over the centre of the cone. Nice!