Why become a member? ×

Sansamp GT2

steviedee

In a moment of extreme boredom at work I succumbed to the lure of gumtree and came across one of these pedals for £40. I noticed a few people had used the GT2 on the bass and the classic and para driver are not really just for bass so I decided to have a punt. Just had a go there through headphones into my ebs microbass' effects loop which allowed me to mix in clean bass. I have to say sounded good to me, a nice tubey overdrive and quite a grind when used in conjunction with the EBS' drive channel.

If anyone has tried GT2 and has any tips let me know!

Edited by steviedee

Yes, I used one of these with bass a couple of years ago. They sound really great live 'n' loud, you can set them up to give you a really nice grindy growl when you dig in, a bit like the Catalinbread SFT. Well worth spending time getting to know this box.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431563265' post='2772700']
Yes, I used one of these with bass a couple of years ago. They sound really great live 'n' loud, you can set them up to give you a really nice grindy growl when you dig in, a bit like the Catalinbread SFT. Well worth spending time getting to know this box.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I'll try it in anger tonight. People mention low end loss but hopefully can be mitigated with EQ and a bit of blending.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If you don't go overboard with the Drive control (10 o'clock) and with the MIC switch on 'Center', MOD on 'Clean' and AMP on 'Tweed' there seems to be very little (if any) low end loss.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'm not talking full-on distortion here - just enough to give heft and presence, verging on a nice growly valve break-up. Not an effect as such really, but a killer pre-amp tone, works well live.[/font][/color]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='steviedee' timestamp='1431593873' post='2772850']
Cheers sounds Ideal, I just want something slightly different from my always on overdriven sound on my rickie and this could be the thing. I dunno how much these go for but 40 quid seemed quite reasonable.
[/quote]

Forty quid is a total bargain! If you see another one for this, let me know! :D

I don't know if you're familiar with him, but Marco Hietala of Nightwish/Tarot used to use the GT2 for his bass sound to fill the lack of 2nd guitar. The mix of his Warwicks, Sansamp GT2 and whatever amp it was he used on the tours sounded absolutely f'in deadly!

£40 for it? You stole it! haha

Don't really know much Nightwish (or in fact any) to be honest, but cheers I'll check them out! Have to say I'm totally digging the GT2, I'm not a big fan of the fuzz but it just seems to give me a bit more grit when I need it. Really quite good!

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' timestamp='1432049978' post='2777576']
Hah, small world -- pretty sure the person who sold this is my dad, unless someone else listed the same thing at the same time for the same price :lol:
[/quote]

Ha ha small world! He seemed to be a very decent bloke!